GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

taking the seat apart

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 03:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default taking the seat apart

how do you take off the front seat? not entirely but maybe the back cover, etc? when i adjust my driver side power seat (specially when i do the back side up and down) there are some very loud squeak coming out of the seat. i believe it's lack of lubricant. so i want to maybe take off the cover so i can spray some wd40. any comments?
Old 10-10-02, 06:34 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rominl,
As I recall, there are two phillips screws on the rear bottom cover facing downwards on the left and right side.

Thats it.
Old 10-10-02, 08:00 AM
Spartan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Recommended...

Rominl....
I would recommend not taking the seat apart. Maybe you can take it to the dealer if it under warranty. This seat is very complicated. If it is not under warranty Lexus might just fix it for free. They pride themselves on no noise in they car or seats. This is a huge thing itn the seating and automotive industry. Usually when you take your back apart you have to disassemble it from the cushion. It can be a really complicated process putting it back together. The hardest part though it putting it back together and having it look good. It takes some effort to make the seat look good. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. PM me if you have some specific questions on the seats, I will try and help.
MIKE
Old 10-10-02, 08:10 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have previously removed my rear seats to remove wiring for the headrest TV's. Its not that complicated although you do have to have patience. If you kneel on the outside of the car with the rear door open and with a short screwdriver put the back of your head on the rear mat and look up you will see two phillips screws per seat. Remove those and the rear of the seat will come off. The top of the back of the seat is held via plastic tabs. Do not attempt to pry the rear of the seat off, you will break the plastic tabs on top and mess up the plastic screw hole tabs on the bottom of the seat.

Just be patient and look for those screws underneath the back seat cover...you'll find them.
Old 10-10-02, 11:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh that's some good info. now just need to find some time to start looking out for screws
Old 10-11-02, 03:01 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

rominl,
your coming over next weeekend anyway, right? Give me five minutes and I'll have those seat backs off.
Old 10-11-02, 08:14 AM
Spartan
Driver

Default rmmgs4....

Are you talking about removing the rear seats or the rear side of the front seat?
The rear seats are so much more easier than the front seats. I dont mean to tell you guys this is not doable. I just dont want you to ruin the seats in the GS. I work for a major seat supplier and know how elaborate the Lexus seats are (the LS430 seats are insane). The rear seats shouldnt be that big of a problem, but if you start to detrim your front seats and take them apart, all I gotta say is good luck on making it look like it did before you took it apart when you get it back together. Good luck guys...
MIKE
Old 10-11-02, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: rmmgs4....

Originally posted by Spartan
Are you talking about removing the rear seats or the rear side of the front seat?
The rear seats are so much more easier than the front seats. I dont mean to tell you guys this is not doable. I just dont want you to ruin the seats in the GS. I work for a major seat supplier and know how elaborate the Lexus seats are (the LS430 seats are insane). The rear seats shouldnt be that big of a problem, but if you start to detrim your front seats and take them apart, all I gotta say is good luck on making it look like it did before you took it apart when you get it back together. Good luck guys...
MIKE
oh, i just want to take out the rear cover of the front seat. i assume by doing that i will be able to expose some internal parts, possible the joints that adjust the tilt of the back of the front seat? that's where i want to apply wd40
Old 10-11-02, 08:38 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rominl..all you will see behind the back cover is nothing, may the lumbar support that's. Most of the moving parts and motors are under the seat.
There's a field fix(not a TSB) on this problem. I assume, your seat is at the lowest position and the seat move to the back until it stop. When your back push to seat back and it's make a clicking noise??
If this is the case? Then removing the seat the seat cover is not gonna help.And all the joint to lubricate is in the bottom part of the seat.

Last edited by VVT-i; 10-11-02 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-11-02, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by VVT-i
Rominl..all you will see behind the back cover is nothing, may the lumbar support that's. Most of the moving parts and motors are under the seat.
There's a field fix(not a TSB) on this problem. I assume, your seat is at the lowest position and the seat move to the back until it stop. When your back push to seat back and it's make a clicking noise??
If this is the case? Then removing the seat the seat cover is not gonna help.And all the joint to lubricate is in the bottom part of the seat.
not really, even when no one is sitting there and i just adjust the back of the seat it squeak... umm..... now i have to rethink about doing that...

thanks for the info
Old 10-12-02, 12:15 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

VVT-i is right. Your problem is likely in the seat bottom. That's where all the joints and pivots are for the seat movement. I had the dreaded "click" he mentioned and it was quite annoying (really made the car feel like a POS). It sounded like there was a broken weld in there or something whenever I would move in the seat (or corner). The "click" was just one segment of a "creak" which I could also get if I moved right.

It sounded like it was coming out of the seatbelt anchor on the rt side of the drivers seat. Unfortunately, you have to take out the seat to remove the rt cover to get at the mechanism. Taking out the seat is probably the hardest part, but can be done. If you have a warrantee and feel comfortable with somone else working on you car, I'd suggest you go that route.

You need to move the seat forward to access the rear bolts and rearward to remove the fronts. Pop off the trim covers by gently prying up at the slotted segments (you'll see them). I think the bolts are 14mm. Once the 4 bolts are out, you can tip the seat back to disconnect the electrical connectors. The Seatbelt can be accesed thru a popout in the left side trim panel. Also, remove the headrest by pulling it out all the way while pushing in the little button, to give you more room for the removal.

Now, the tougest part-removing the seat! It's heavy. I'd estimate 75lbs, and you are in an awkward position for a lift like that. I placed a large, thick towel on the sill so I wouldn't damage anything if the seat track or mechanism accidently scraped it on it's exit. You may want to have someone spot you from the rear seat or passenger side. It takes a bit of strength and control to get that out safely.

Once you get it out, the trim removal is very straigtforward. You will be able to see/access anything that could cause your noise. I was able to get the "click" on the bench by carefully applying forces here and there, so I could locate my source. It was a tube (about .75" dia) that went thru a double support that appeared to be inadequately lubed. I loosened the support bolts (2) to allow lube to penetrate better and sprayed it lightly, being careful not to drench anything nearby. I actually used a motorcycle chain lube that thickens up after applied. I was worried the WD-40 wouldn't last and I'd have to do it again soon.

So, you shouldn't need to disassemble the seat to fix your problem, and as others suggested, you shouldn't do it regardless. You will see (and feel) the seat is very complex and with lots of springs, gears and a few motors!

Installation is reverse of removal. If you are like me, you'll also want to vacuum the carpet under the seat now that you have access!!

I did mine about 6 mo ago and still no creak return.

Good luck