GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aftermarket Head Unit Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 09:28 PM
maximus208
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Head Unit Help!!

Hello,

I recently bought an aftermarket Head Unit and I cannot get power to it at all. As of the time being I am not interested in the sound so much as I am just getting the thing to turn on!

I followed some DIY's and I took the red wire that plugs into the HU and attached it to the gray wire that goes to the small connector that is normally behind the stock HU and plugs up to that. I also took the black ground wire that goes to the HU as well and attached it to some ground. I have also heard that you connect the yellow wire that goes to the back of the new HU and attach it to the blue/yellow wire of the same small connector that normally went to the stock HU.

What am I doing wrong? Does the black/ground wire connect to the harness or what?

Am I correct by connecting the red wire and yellow wire to the small connector that goes to the stock HU and then plugging all the other connections on the back of the aftermarket HU and plugging it to the big and small wire that use to go to the amp near the glove box?

Thanks for your help!

Max
Old 11-29-11, 10:31 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maximus208
Hello,

I recently bought an aftermarket Head Unit and I cannot get power to it at all. As of the time being I am not interested in the sound so much as I am just getting the thing to turn on!

I followed some DIY's and I took the red wire that plugs into the HU and attached it to the gray wire that goes to the small connector that is normally behind the stock HU and plugs up to that. I also took the black ground wire that goes to the HU as well and attached it to some ground. I have also heard that you connect the yellow wire that goes to the back of the new HU and attach it to the blue/yellow wire of the same small connector that normally went to the stock HU.

What am I doing wrong? Does the black/ground wire connect to the harness or what?

Am I correct by connecting the red wire and yellow wire to the small connector that goes to the stock HU and then plugging all the other connections on the back of the aftermarket HU and plugging it to the big and small wire that use to go to the amp near the glove box?

Thanks for your help!

Max

You can't just match up wires just by color. You have to get a tester and see witch wire gives you power when the key is on acc, then you take the power wire from your new head unit hook it to that along with the illumination wire that is the yellow wire. So meaning the red & the yellow twist them together with the power wire that you find. Then find the ground wire, then it shall turn on & for the speakers get a AAbattery take a speaker wire put it on the positive side & the other on the negative side & when you have the right wires you will hear a speaker crackle then you can define from there wich speaker you have & do the same for the rest.

Good luck😜
Old 11-29-11, 10:54 PM
maximus208
Driver School Candidate

The wires said that the yellow is constant and the red is ignition so i tried to attach them to the the stock radio ignition and constant. I followed the DIY thus far.

I don't understand what I should do with the illumination wire? Is that constant or ignition?
Old 11-29-11, 11:01 PM
Busha
Pole Position

The wires said that the yellow is constant and the red is ignition so i tried to attach them to the the stock radio ignition and constant. I followed the DIY thus far.

I don't understand what I should do with the illumination wire? Is that constant or ignition?
It's ignition
Old 11-29-11, 11:03 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Busha
It's ignition
Attach both the red & yellow to ignition
Old 11-29-11, 11:49 PM
maximus208
Driver School Candidate

Do you mean the red and orange wire? The red is ignition and the orange is illumination. I was going to splice the yellow wire (constant power/battery) to the blue/yellow wire on the stock plug and splice the red wire to the gray wire on the stock plug. Should add splice the orange wire to the ignition wire as well?
Old 11-30-11, 07:22 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

When I wired up my double din I had to hook up to where the amp. I bought a wiring harness but it didnt match up behind the radio but hooked up to the plug that plugs into the amp perfectly! The colors behind the radio didn't match the wiring schematic I found on CL. It does match up with the amp behind the glove compartment.
Old 11-30-11, 09:27 AM
Busha
Pole Position

Do you mean the red and orange wire? The red is ignition and the orange is illumination. I was going to splice the yellow wire (constant power/battery) to the blue/yellow wire on the stock plug and splice the red wire to the gray wire on the stock plug. Should add splice the orange wire to the ignition wire as well?

I told you take the power & illumination and hook it to the ignition wire !! And hook up the ground and that's it!!!! I think you should have someone install it for you!
Old 11-30-11, 10:48 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

splurge 50 bucks on your lexus and get it done by a pro, before you fry something ,
just a friendly advise,
we are all about dyi but if ur stuck! ur STUCK!
Old 11-30-11, 01:12 PM
maximus208
Driver School Candidate

I got it working. I just didn't connect the yellow (12v constant/battery) wire to the blue/yellow wire behind 6 pin stock radio unit.

So far everything is working, I have to go see if the illumination will work now as I haven't tried that since it's his radio and I was not there helping him, but so far he said he did what I said which was the yellow wire and it's on!

I love it when you can't get something working and then you finally do!