GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What do you think my car is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-11, 06:02 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LALEX1
It was raining pretty heavily out here in LA one day and drove through an intersection (wasn't even that deep), but somehow water happened to splash right into the intake (oem intake) and bam, hydrolocked. Insurance paid for engine and labor. Car runs perfect and now has super low miles!
Hmmm..... Really? How did something like this happen? You didn't have you splash/engine guard on the bottom of the car? I never heard of this happening before. Guess it's a first time for everything.

Also according to DMV records, the body has 130k on it, not 80k like you stated and the car has been in 3 accidents. No way you will get $12-14k for it. Too many variables in this equation, especially where you can find cars cheaper with a true clean history report...sorry buddy. I would say around $9k max based on everything.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 12-15-11 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-15-11, 06:16 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

i agree with what you are saying to a certain extent. Not sure if you saw my link to ebay in the last post I made, i edited it and added it possibly while you were already typing your reply. Either way I believe the engine swap in this case will and does increase the value. This was not a swap done as a mod or to make the car faster, but instead just to replace the previous engine, and that is with a newer engine with less than half of the miles of the original one. That means no timing belt needed anytime soon and many parts were installed new when this engine was professionally installed by a lexus dealership. (not done in someones garage). i don;t see how that would';t increase the value.
As far as an investment, trust me I know that isn't so. I paid 38k for my car back in the beginning of 05 (with everything, financing, certifed at a lexus dealership) and spent over 30k in mods on it, so I never expected it to be an investment. I just don't see it being worth 7-8k, in fact I don;t see it worth under 10k under any cicrcumstances. Once again check out that ebay link I posted in my last link.
Actually it's the other way around. It doesn't add value because people are concerned with why you had to replace the engine. If that's so, EDIT your auction and tell people you replaced the engine...with your logic, you should have bids flowing in right. I honestly wouldn't buy a car that has a replaced engine.
Old 12-15-11, 09:51 AM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Hmmm..... Really? How did something like this happen? You didn't have you splash/engine guard on the bottom of the car? I never heard of this happening before. Guess it's a first time for everything.

Also according to DMV records, the body has 130k on it, not 80k like you stated and the car has been in 3 accidents. No way you will get $12-14k for it. Too many variables in this equation, especially where you can find cars cheaper with a true clean history report...sorry buddy. I would say around $9k max based on everything.
Hmm, I never posted my VIN so I have no idea where you came up with that info,i have my carfax and autocheck report. Everything is as stated. 72k miles last reported, 2 owners no accidents clean record. Unless I wrote something wrong, maybe you should re-read the entire thread.
Also I did have the splash gaurd in, the water splashed in through the grill (that is where our intake opening is located). Everything was in place including air filter. Water still got through, that is why the insurance company paod for everything. It was covered under comprehensive coverage. Is it a common thing to happen, No, is it possible, yes not likely but possibe and it happened to me.
Ahhh I see now, you think my car is the one Ilinked on ebay? I never said it was, you must have mis-read or just skipped it all together.

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Actually it's the other way around. It doesn't add value because people are concerned with why you had to replace the engine. If that's so, EDIT your auction and tell people you replaced the engine...with your logic, you should have bids flowing in right. I honestly wouldn't buy a car that has a replaced engine.
Everything that happened was documented at the dealership. I have everything in writing and receipts for everything. Personally I would rather buy a 2002 gs430 with 30k miles on a replaced engine and with everything documented as to what happened, than to purchase one with 80k miles regardless of the circumstances. Considering that both had never been in an accident of course.
Old 12-15-11, 10:19 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

^^^, my fault. I thought the link you posted was your car. I went straight to the history report. My bad.
Old 12-15-11, 11:18 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks for the advice, from everyone who responded actually.
I wasn't trying to flame on your car, in fact I think 7500 for an 01 gs430 is a good deal.
Lol, I was just joking with you man. My post purpose is just playing devil's advocate. For the right person a motor swap is the right/ perfect situation. Like with my Lightning, I jumped on it. And when I sold it, I actually found the right person & sold it for $13 k. If I had the cash, I think your car would be perfect for me. But I don't, do I have to settle for the fixer upper I got, lol.
Old 12-16-11, 01:26 PM
Kytann
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the motor swap will add anything to the car. And it will take value away.

No matter how well the work was done, it is viewed by the general population as not as well done as the factory would have done it. Factory > Dealership everytime.

Plus, no one wants a car with stories. Think of how many times you've seen a mint car advertised as perfect, no stories.

That means it has worked well from day one, and no one will worry about it.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-16-11, 02:01 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kytann
I don't think the motor swap will add anything to the car. And it will take value away.

No matter how well the work was done, it is viewed by the general population as not as well done as the factory would have done it. Factory > Dealership everytime.

Plus, no one wants a car with stories. Think of how many times you've seen a mint car advertised as perfect, no stories.

That means it has worked well from day one, and no one will worry about it.

Just my opinion.
I respect your opinion.
I will update this post when it sells to let you guys know what it sold for.
Old 12-25-11, 10:17 PM
Azlex90
Driver School Candidate

hope you get at least the 12k for it bro its hard people are f'ing cheap they always find an excuse to low ball never take into consideration the investment i have an old school 87 monte carlo ls that i restored have like 9k into it all receipts and pictures of everything i have done and people want to offer me 5k i have 3000 foose wheels on it and like 1000 into the 350 edelbrock everything new paint leather seats and people dont appreciate anything my bad for falling of subject but yeah people dont consider you have a new engine and that its basically a new car im in the market for a lexus but that is way out of my price range hope you get what you ask for tho it seems like a great deal
Old 12-26-11, 12:20 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Azlex90
its hard people are f'ing cheap they always find an excuse to low ball never take into consideration the investment.....people dont appreciate anything
again, being devil's advocate. it may not be that people appreciate the modifications or "investment", but they are exactly that modifications. believe me, i know what you guys are saying. even most recently with my Wrangler & M3 i sold. my Jeep had a good amount of upgrades. but people only see that as a bonus. the vehicle is only worth a certain amount regardless of the upgrades done to it, so that is what they are willing to pay. luckily for me, i was able to take off a bunch of things off the jeep, sell those separately, and get more than what i was asking for with all the stuff on it.

it's almost always better to remove aftermarket parts & sell separately from the car......again, unless you find the right person. unfortunately, the original poster can't put back the original engine.

someone said to me before....a car is not an investment unless you are buying a car that is a collectors item. other than that, a car is a tool/necessity to get you around. things you do to a car is a modification that really adds no value to the car.

again, for the original poster, i think if he finds the right person, he will get what he is asking for. if i had the cash, i'd probably low ball him a little (but who doesn't) but i definitely think he would get close to his asking price. i am curious to see what it sells for.
Old 12-26-11, 07:50 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

You also have to factor in that you have "fresh paint," which means the vehicle was repainted. Many buyers will remove "excellent" and "very good" once a vehicle has been repainted because it's not a factory finish and therefore does not come with factory warranty for corrosion protection and unless you took it to a high end shop that did a very detailed paint, it won't hold up like factory. I realize that this isn't important to everyone, but an educated buyer with some previous vehicle knowledge will know these types of things and will price it accordingly.

I have to agree with those who are saying the engine replacement, regardless of the reason, does nothing for the value or detracts from it. Even with a clean vehicle history from the extremely accurate (not at all, completely tongue in cheek) car fax or autocheck, you're setting your sights a bit high.

Since I cannot see your vehicle, I won't purport to give a price, but I know that I have helped several friends and associates purchase vehicles and if a repainted car with a replaced engine was offered, we'd immediately look elsewhere if that person wanted anywhere near a factory painted original engine in optimum condition for a 10 year old car price for it.

Big Mack
Old 12-26-11, 12:55 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

People aren't cheap, it's more that you are valuing your car more than what other people value it.

That being said, to the OP, I wouldn't invest anything into paint or refurbishment over than perhaps a carwash / detail job. It is a 10year old car, you need to know your market.
I don't think you will increase the selling value of the car for the money it will cost.

Who buys used cars? Many people are looking for something like new. If it's for a new teen driver and their first car, parents want to get them something within 5years old for safety purposes.
So you're left with people who want specifically a 2gen GS, they either already have one, those that don't are a really small group of folks..

Last edited by raytseng; 12-26-11 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 05:51 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Really? They seem to sell for more than that out here in Los Angeles.
Location does make a difference, and Edmund's and I think Kelley Blue Book take that into consideration as well, when they price out vehicles, so your GS's value in Ca will be different than NY, and even within the same state too.

Originally Posted by ****-adkt
here in NY they are going for around that much. The modded ones are getting sold for more on the forums.

Truth is, the book/current value of the car is what most educated car buyers will pay. The person who wants it will pay what ever you are asking so if time is no problem just hold out for the right buyer.

At the end of the day all the hard work, sweat, tears, and engine swaps will not increase the current value.

this comes down to Age old question.. Are cars an Investment? answer is NO 99% of the time
Actually, I'd go even further and say 99.9% of the time, lol.
Old 12-26-11, 11:37 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

have been searching for the past couple of months for a 01 GS430 for a "just in case financial" scenario and also my little brother wanting one...

checking out cali and surrounding states from washington to texas, i say you might get 10k for it. for 13k you could get an 04-05 with 90-120k miles so i say 10k might be a solid number.

i did find one on craigslist for my brother, 01 GS430 with 150k blk/blk with navi that was owned by a mechanic for $7600 in OC.
Old 12-27-11, 08:23 AM
titangts
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

$10k bro, try for more though for sure.
Old 12-27-11, 10:30 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fresh paint decreases value because its not OEM finish and don't know what type of materials were used, or the REAL reason why it was repainted. Just because Carfax says its clean doesn't mean its never been in an accident. Anyone can get in a wreck and take it to their homeboy down the street to fix and not notify their insurance.. New engine decreases value even though a dealer did the install....

In your case, we know why you repainted it...but other people you just never know how shady they can be.

Quick Reply: What do you think my car is worth?