GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Takeoff ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02, 10:14 AM
Cosm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Takeoff ?

I have a 98 gs4 with srt (stock ecu), and greddy PE exhaust. I met up with futuregs and he only has an srt (Race Ecu). I asked him from a stop can he just floor it and spin the wheels and he was able to. I also have another friend with a 2001 gs3 with 20"s and he was also able to spin the tires without holding the brakes. I have 18"s and futuregs has 16"s . When I try to floor it it will get a small lag then start going but no spin ? Any ideas ? Could the car need new plugs ? The car has 115,000 miles on it and I don't know the prior maintence on the car but I was told I might need a new belt and possibly change the timing belt also. any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 10-15-02, 01:14 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to many factors.
SRT and ECU apply more power at higher RMP.
He has 16" wich are skinny.
These are some of the other things.
What state the Tranny learning is in (granny vs Sporty)
Is VCS dissabled.
Type of tires.
Air Pressure (less air in the tire = better grip = no spin)
Age on Tranny, Torque converter, Motor

If you suspect the motor.
Due a tune up and take it to the dyno.

Belts will not help. Plugs might.
Old 10-15-02, 02:08 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Here is what you do:

Disconnect your battery, and wait about 15-20 minutes, then reconnect it. Why? Lexus has a learning ECU that adjusts based on your driving habits. There are a lot of threads about this. If you disconnect your battery for 15 mins or so, it will reset that ecu, and you will be able to spin your tires. It will readjust itself after about 1500 miles. The only drawback is that you will lose your radio settings, and your seat settings. After you do that, make sure you VSC is off, and that you are in Power mode (as suggested by alexulan), and floor it. You will notice you seem to have more power, and should spin the tires. Try it and see if it works.

Also when you say stock ecu, do you mean you don't have any srt ecu? You might want to see about getting the srt ecu. It helps.

Lee

Last edited by LexCiting; 10-15-02 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-15-02, 02:21 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I heard the car, it sounds like his car is hesitating when he first hits the gas. I think it's the spark plugs, maybe you should get the torquemaster SP Sean so I can see how well they work.
Old 10-15-02, 03:08 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

Default Other things I have tried

I have done the resetting of the ecu and it works !! after I reset I can go about 15-20 mph floor it and it will sqeek the tires going that speed. I just don't know why it won't off the start I also have a question about the TM SP because I have read post where after installation the car runs rough until the ecu learns. Well if you gotta wait till it learns, then reset your ecu your gonna have to let it learn all over again hence if I get TM SP then I should not reset the ecu ? So I am debating over this and will try to call steve and ask his opinion. If anybody else has any ideas ? Thanks
Old 10-15-02, 03:37 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, the deal with the resetting the ECU. There is a segment of memory that will get cleared out by resetting the ECU. This segment holds info for fuel mapping, airflow, etc... based on your driving style, and is continuously updated and averaged.

So, as you can probably guess, unless you floor the car from every stop, and constantly drive 100mph, that memory will eventually get populated by a descent representation of your "overall" driving style.

If you always drive conservatively, never really give it too much throttle, don't go much above the speed limit, then you will end up with a map that simulates this. On the other hand, if you always have your foot "in the gas", you will end up with a more aggressive map. If you have a conservative map, the car will seem slower to respond if you do want to get on it, and vice versa. Some people say they don't notice any change when resetting the ECU, some say it is quite noticeable, so the overall health of the vehicle comes into play here as well.

As for your mods, SRT maintains that use of their intake without their ECU will yield less than desireable results, so if you don't have their ECU, you might as well take the intake off. Also, using a higher flowing exhaust is notorious for robbing power "down low". And, as others have mentioned, keep the tranny in "power" mode.
Old 10-15-02, 04:19 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

I do have the srt ecu but not the race ecu just the standard one. I also an a very aggressive drive I almost floor it all the time, living here in FL we have a lot of open long stretches of road and got to manuver around the blind old people (sorry to all the blind old people who can't drive in Florida if I have offended you ) So I am a very agressive driver and get good results after I reset the ecu. I also always take the VSC off and leave it in power mode all the time. So I would like to continue the reset schedule weekly and would still like to get better plugs but if they will clash then Imight be better off getting factory plugs ? If anybody else has any ideas please feel free to speak ! Thanks

P.S. By the way does anybody know if you can disable the VSC from comming on when the car starts also if there is a way to disable the rear view mirrow from auto turning on ? Thanks Again

Last edited by Cosm; 10-15-02 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-15-02, 04:24 PM
JacobT

Get a 3200 rpm TC and 3.76 LSD, you'll spin the rear wheels all day long
Old 10-15-02, 05:37 PM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

Glad that helped a little. Just re-reading your post, you have over 100,000 miles? It probably is time for a major tune-up (Spark plugs/filters/oils changed/etc). That probably will solve some of your hestitation problem, but also consider that when you floor the gas, the ecu will automatically hestitate because you are basically telling it to haul a$$, and manage this large flow of fuel from you mashing the pedal. It takes a slight pause for the ecu to register this sudden WOT (Wild Open Throttle), and deal with it. Also it is calculating how to manage this WOT in the future. (This info came from a Lexus tech guy)

Also it doesn't matter if you drive your car aggressively all of the time, the driving ecu will still have to be reset every 1500 miles or so, to get that initial tire squealing. (I actually reset mine every 800 miles or so). That learning feature in the ecu is for fuel economy management, not for aggressive driving, so the whole purpose of it is to save you gas in the long run. Thats why you still will have to reset it by pulling the battery for 15 mins, if you want to do mini-peelouts.

Lee

Last edited by LexCiting; 10-15-02 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-15-02, 08:03 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

SCREW THE ECONOMY !! I WANT POWER !!!! I usually reset my ecu by pulling the fuse and let it sit for about 1 min. I do it every week not even putting on more than 100 miles per pull. But like you said about the hesitation being the computer trying to figure out what I am doing, the gs3 and futuregs's gs4 was able to sqeak. I am hoping it is the spark plugs. Now my only dilema is do I go with TM SP ? or will it not be good for people who reset their ecu often as people are saying the TM SP also need the ecu to learn before it will run smoothly. I think I need a TC and LSD anybody got one they want to get rid of ? Level 10 has an upgrade where you send your TC in and they redo it for $500 ? Is that a good deal ? Well this thread is still open for advice if anybody else might have any ideas. Thanks. CL RULES !!!
Old 10-15-02, 08:43 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo sean, I found a wayt o disable my DRL, all i need is a small flathead screwdriver. You got one? If so, when I come over we gonna disable them nasty DRL's.

THx to banangs for the info.
Old 10-15-02, 09:20 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Let me tell you ...... I just got my 90k service and TM plugs, TC and those plugs make a difference plus your Denso are only good for 100,000 miles so that tells you you need new plugs and a timing belt won't hurt HINT HINT! I would say the TC alone will do the job but those high miles don't help if you don't get a TUNE-UP!
Old 10-15-02, 09:25 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

Default small screwdriver ?

Futuregs I will try to email you the small screwdriver okay ? Just keep checking ! Let me know when you downloaded it By the way , it would probably be cheaper to goto walmart and get one than driving 35 miles to me J/J I am going to order the TM SP you want to go in so we can get them at the same time ? Lemme Know Thanks