GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

? To all who use CCFL Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 03:52 PM
SELFMade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? To all who use CCFL Projectors

Hey guys, so I drove my car all the way from MI to back here in Texas with my CCFLs installed and I noticed they are waaaaaay to bright. They work yes, but the work to well. Almost the whole trip took place during daylight, but the little time I spent when it was dark I got flashed quite often and ended up just using my running lights, which are the CCFLs alone. I really like this headlight set, but its just to bright, I may have to get my factorys sent from home but I really dont want to change back.

I've alread looked for a less powerful bulb that would fit the application but came up with nothing. Does anyone with projectors have/had this problem? Any ideas for solutions?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-12, 04:46 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well getting rid of the CCFL projectors would probably be the best move you can do. If if you like how they look maybe just double check if they are leveled correctly. Since these do not have the auto leveling built in you're gonna have to do it manually.

if you dont know how. pull up to a wall as close as possible and use black electrical tape and tape the two brightest points on the wall. back you car up 25 feet and level appropriately
Old 01-07-12, 04:57 PM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What CCFLs headlights are you talking about those ebay ones?
Old 01-07-12, 05:38 PM
SELFMade
Pole Position

Hey guys thanks for the quick response. I adjusted them like 45mins ago and all it took was a 8mm socket but a philips could also have been used. They are more pointed towards the ground now and illuminate a 20-30ft of ground ahead. I noticed a buddy of mines driving ahead of me while I was pulling in the parking lot. I asked him were my heads blinding or too bright and he told me no they weren't bad at all so I guess that fixed the problem.

And yes these are from Ebay, but they are the same brand CARid sales for almost $400. It was either these or HIDs but i've been there and done that so many times and its so common on the road I wanted something different. I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade. The quality is very nice, its a really solid build and wasn't to much a difference from the stock set. Only complaint I had was that they worked tooo well but good thing they are adjustable unlike some other aftermarket lights i've seen for other makes.

Thanks again.
Old 01-07-12, 06:10 PM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SELFMade
Hey guys thanks for the quick response. I adjusted them like 45mins ago and all it took was a 8mm socket but a philips could also have been used. They are more pointed towards the ground now and illuminate a 20-30ft of ground ahead. I noticed a buddy of mines driving ahead of me while I was pulling in the parking lot. I asked him were my heads blinding or too bright and he told me no they weren't bad at all so I guess that fixed the problem.

And yes these are from Ebay, but they are the same brand CARid sales for almost $400. It was either these or HIDs but i've been there and done that so many times and its so common on the road I wanted something different. I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade. The quality is very nice, its a really solid build and wasn't to much a difference from the stock set. Only complaint I had was that they worked tooo well but good thing they are adjustable unlike some other aftermarket lights i've seen for other makes.

Thanks again.
can you put a link up to them. i will be getting headlights soon but am unsure which ones and scared of the ebay quality.
Old 01-07-12, 06:48 PM
SELFMade
Pole Position

http://www.carid.com/1998-lexus-gs-headlights/

Theres two brands they sale, one is Spec D and the others is CG. Mines is the CG brand which they sale for $400 but I bought mines for $195 on Ebay with $25 shipping.
Old 01-08-12, 06:58 AM
gtmuggs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any pics to show how the black look as opposed to the clear?
Old 01-08-12, 07:28 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should take a couple pics at night of the light output. I always heard the CCFL Halo Projectors had terrible output and don't last long either.
Old 01-08-12, 08:12 PM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also heard they have terrible output/beam pattern. What type of low beam bulbs are you using? Halogens or 35W HIDs and what color temp? Thanks for your feedback.

If you get the chance, you should post some pics of them on your car...
Old 01-08-12, 08:42 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

I am in for pictures of these at night.
Old 01-09-12, 06:10 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

personally, I am going to do a retro fit with V3 projectors....but I read you are supposed to measure about 35inches up the wall for each headlight and mark accordingly. Back the car 17-20ft and bring the cutoff down or up to the mark. This worked for my grand cherokee that I retro fitted, and never got flashed. When I got my 50W kit, I had t aim them down a little further because I started to get flashed.... Light output is better than the none projector HID bowls for my gs300(green tint)
Old 01-09-12, 08:38 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Your problem is the projector used. They are CRAP/bad beam pattern, thus the reason why everyone was flashing you. If they worked "too well", they you wouldn't have had people flashing you. Wasted money...sorry
Old 01-09-12, 09:06 AM
SELFMade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
I always heard the CCFL Halo Projectors had terrible output and don't last long either.
Well you heard wrong lol. Can't vouch for ever set on the market but the CGs and Spec Ds are dope.

Originally Posted by Enigmatic
I am in for pictures of these at night.
You got it! I'll take some tonight with a friends cam.

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Your problem is the projector used. They are CRAP/bad beam pattern, thus the reason why everyone was flashing you. If they worked "too well", they you wouldn't have had people flashing you. Wasted money...sorry
No they are not used. If you've actually read my post above you will see that reason for me being flashed was because my headlights came adjusted at an angle too high, and I adjusted them myself and the problem has been fixed. The pattern is great great actually sorry, maybe the brand you've owned was a cheaper poorly made set. Haven't had a single issue out of mines since, just compliments.

Last edited by SELFMade; 01-09-12 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 09:27 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Hey SELF, I'm not here to argue or debate you. I have never owned a pair and don't plan on it any time soon. I personally would do a retro, because these headlights looks rice IMO. There have been multiple thread about your headlights and the issues owners had with them. Post pics of how they look at night, especially a beam shot against a wall. If these are working great for you, then kudos! Enjoy!
Old 01-09-12, 01:55 PM
SELFMade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
Hey SELF, I'm not here to argue or debate you. I have never owned a pair and don't plan on it any time soon. I personally would do a retro, because these headlights looks rice IMO. Enjoy!
Its cool I don't really don't care what you think frankly. Didn't start the thread to get peoples opinions on the mod, actually the title says "To All Who Use", and apparently you dont even have a set, retro, nor retail so I don't know what your intent was in my thread unless it was to be a troll. You put yourself on the spot by bashing a product as you stated you have no experience with and being biasedly judgemental. Not a debate or arguement, if you dont like them don't by them who cares. Just don't make yourself look completely ignorant by talking like you know all about them and saying they're trash when I have a pair that function perfectly and perform greater than stock.

Lol.

Last edited by SELFMade; 01-09-12 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: ? To all who use CCFL Projectors