GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Computer memory flush!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 08:43 AM
codemii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Computer memory flush!!

I recently tried to program my key at my lexus mechanic's workshop because all attempts by me was a failure. After trying to do it for me, he went through the same problem; he concluded that I will have to take it to a guy who will wipe the computer memory because, my memory had already taken six different keys. The funniest part is that the guy will charge $150 just to wipe the memory of the computer.

P.S: Anyone out there know anything about this computer memory thing and how much does it really cost?
Old 01-11-12, 10:29 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

was your mechanic really a Lexus mechanic? or a mechanic that just works on lexuses?

I believe the memory wipe just requires a lexus/toyota handheld computer thingy to do it.
If he really is a lexus mechanic (i.e. dealer) then I would think they should have the tool.

Cost Depends how much the dealer wants to charge you for it, I'd suspect range of half-hour labor time. Callaround.
Otherwise, you can try at a locksmith.
Old 01-11-12, 10:55 AM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Depends on where you go to be honest. The dealer told me that they could not add the key unless I buy a new computer and another new key (BS). Granted I only bought the car with a valet key. I have called different locksmiths in my area that can re-flash the computer for the keys and I have gotten prices ranging from $150 to $400.
Old 01-11-12, 11:59 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by 02Legend
Depends on where you go to be honest. The dealer told me that they could not add the key unless I buy a new computer and another new key (BS). Granted I only bought the car with a valet key. I have called different locksmiths in my area that can re-flash the computer for the keys and I have gotten prices ranging from $150 to $400.
Your situation is different over someone who has an existing master key and wants to add an additional key when the key memory slots are full.

The dealer isn't completely full of BS, as for our car there is no official service procedure if you've lost the master key. So they are just following the procedures.

It would be like going to an AT&T store and asking them to unlock your cellphone so you can get free tethering or going to an Apple store and asking them for help on how to torrent and burn copies of commerical DVDs or how to pirate a copy of some software without paying for it. But if you go to a non-official store(analogy to a locksmith) they can help you do your hack and get what you want.

Last edited by raytseng; 01-11-12 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 06:58 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Which key is considered the Master? The one that came in the owners manual? It says it is the flat key for doors and locks, but not ignition. It has the key code with it.

Just wondering....
Old 01-11-12, 08:08 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Which key is considered the Master? The one that came in the owners manual? It says it is the flat key for doors and locks, but not ignition. It has the key code with it.

Just wondering....
It is not a hard-and-set rule, as it is just software based. From a ECU perspective, it's the first 2 keys that were inserted (done at the factory).

Kys that were cut to open everything ( glove/trunks), are programmed to be master keys.

Valet keys which are cut so they cannot open glove/trunk are programmed to be valet keys, but this is just the programming procedure not a hard rule.

If you have the wallet key with transponder in the card holder, this is also usually programmed to be a master key.
If you have a wallet key without a transponder, this is just a hunk of metal to let you in the car and get the key you left in the ignition while you locked yourself out, and doesn't have any chip in it at all.
Old 01-11-12, 09:56 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine's a wallet key without transponder. I keep it in my wallet... I have the other master key at home, my wife doesn't want to carry one.

Originally Posted by raytseng
It is not a hard-and-set rule, as it is just software based. From a ECU perspective, it's the first 2 keys that were inserted (done at the factory).

Kys that were cut to open everything ( glove/trunks), are programmed to be master keys.

Valet keys which are cut so they cannot open glove/trunk are programmed to be valet keys, but this is just the programming procedure not a hard rule.

If you have the wallet key with transponder in the card holder, this is also usually programmed to be a master key.
If you have a wallet key without a transponder, this is just a hunk of metal to let you in the car and get the key you left in the ignition while you locked yourself out, and doesn't have any chip in it at all.