GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

questions on tint for the GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-02, 05:10 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't metallic or any "reflecting" tint (Quantum, etc.) illegal in CA?

I was also told the metallic tint would reflect whatever color your factory glass was already tinted. I would think that we would see green, but it looks like people are seeing yellow. Maybe offset by the shade of the metallic tint they put on? I don't know much how that works. All I know is I didn't wan't to reflect any color because I didn't think it would not compliment a silver car. I preferred the glass to be dark and black, with no color showing in the reflection.

Another trick on my car is I have 3 different levels of tint. 70/50/30. It is lightest on the front doors, then gets a little darker on the rear passenger then darkest on the rear window. It blends well, prevents the cops from pulling you over for too dark a tint in the front doors, but you don't see an abrupt change from no tint to dark tint on the rear doors and rear window. Even though the front tint is probably still illegal, I haven't been pulled over in two years and you know our cars aren't exactly low profile vehicles.

The rear window is dark but not limo level. Many people think I have dark tint all around when they look from the back, until I ask them to look out the front door windows. It's hardly noticable from inside. My black interior also helps with this deception, esecially when looking down into the car.

Rominl,
Your coming over Sunday, so you can check it out for yourself.

PS- I have a local tint connection. Of Course !

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-19-02 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-18-02, 05:13 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

romini,

I agree w/ JacobT. CA wont allow for tints in the front driver and front pass windows.

Dont understand why your gf want tints so badly? Wouldnt she sit in the passenger side, normally? Or have you got her sitting in the back seats?

Most ppl want to be "seen" in a beautiful luxury car. Ask most MB and BMW owners.....they dont tint because they want ppl to see them driving that machine.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-18-02, 05:42 PM
JacobT

This is Titanium tint. It's a little reflective but I think they go very well with black cars. The heat rejection rate is amazing too.
Attached Thumbnails questions on tint for the GS-img_0214_mid.jpg  
Old 10-18-02, 06:06 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup,
that looks good. I would of considered it. I would of thought titanium would be like quantum, but I guess not.

Like Rominl said, there's a lot of tint types out there and it's hard to know what to do with all the different recommendations, opinions and tastes.
Old 10-18-02, 06:34 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Isn't metallic or any "reflecting" tint (Quantum, etc.) illegal in CA?
Yes, according to that web page with the tint laws on that link that I posted, in CA the tint "Must Not Increase Reflectivity". There is a column on that web page about how much reflectivity percentage is allowed.
Old 10-18-02, 11:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by PHML
romini,

I agree w/ JacobT. CA wont allow for tints in the front driver and front pass windows.

Dont understand why your gf want tints so badly? Wouldnt she sit in the passenger side, normally? Or have you got her sitting in the back seats?

Most ppl want to be "seen" in a beautiful luxury car. Ask most MB and BMW owners.....they dont tint because they want ppl to see them driving that machine.

Just my 2 cents.
yeah i am sure anything darker than 70% is illegal here in the CA, but well..... we all mod cars in the illegal way anyway most of us don't have front licence plate, hehe...

anyway, i don't know, she just came to be and said let's tint everything, even though she knows very well it's illegal.
Old 10-18-02, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by RMMGS4
Yup,
that looks good. I would of considered it. I would of thought titanium would be like quantum, but I guess not.

Like Rominl said, there's a lot of tint types out there and it's hard to know what to do with all the different recommendations, opinions and tastes.
haven't read everything but from what i know, quantum seems to be a bit reflective and titanium is just dark color. they both won't fade over time which is important.

and don't worry rmmgs4, your car is very legal, coz' 70% is the law limit in CA
Old 10-19-02, 03:54 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Transition tint like RMMGS4 has is a great idea. Here in Illinois we can't tint the front windows at ALL so many people go 50/35/20 so the front doesn't look tinted.

When I got my license a few months ago, the first thing I did was get 20% smoke tint all-round and I got pulled twice in just the first week!!!!!!!!!!!! So, until I had the tint removed, I had to drive with the front windows down...even in 40 degree weather with drizzling rain

My cuz has 50/50/35 on his red/tan 95 ES, new blk/blk G35, and blk/blk 99 GS400 and especially on the black cars, the tint looks great!!! no pull overs, windows look tinted from back angles and front, from side looks translucent....win/win situation.

I recommend 50/35/20 or 50/50/35 for those who want to tint in states with 'no front window tinting laws'.

good luck
Old 10-20-02, 03:47 AM
jakeMCknight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl

yeah i am sure anything darker than 70% is illegal here in the CA, but well..... we all mod cars in the illegal way anyway most of us don't have front licence plate, hehe...

anyway, i don't know, she just came to be and said let's tint everything, even though she knows very well it's illegal.

I recently had limo tint placed on my '03 GS430 ( just the back) and I think now my rearview and side rearview mirror have lost the auto dimming feature that keeps the lights of other cars out of your eyes at night. I think it's because the sensors can no longer pick up the intensity of the lights behind me.

A small price to pay though because the car looks soooo much better now plus the car is cooler during the daytime.
Old 10-20-02, 03:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by jakeMCknight

I recently had limo tint placed on my '03 GS430 ( just the back) and I think now my rearview and side rearview mirror have lost the auto dimming feature that keeps the lights of other cars out of your eyes at night. I think it's because the sensors can no longer pick up the intensity of the lights behind me.

A small price to pay though because the car looks soooo much better now plus the car is cooler during the daytime.
which part of CA are you in? you got any truoble with cops?
Old 10-20-02, 04:06 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Romi..i have 35% Quantum metallic tint(no problem with my NAV)all around...personally, it all depends on your driving style and attitude when the cops pull up next to you...that and the "luck" factor...if they do not see you as "trouble maker", they will not bother you...complete stop at the stop sign, do not run yellows....things like that....
Old 10-20-02, 05:02 AM
jakeMCknight
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by rominl

which part of CA are you in? you got any truoble with cops?

LA County. I personally have had no trouble but friends of mine have. Especially if you drive a nice car. Those cops just harass you just so that jusify eating their next donut.

I had a white honda for 6years with a limo tint all the way around never got stopped once. A friend had a nice black mustang never got stopped till a week after he placed a "legal" tint on his front windows. Another friend has a Porsche 911 Turbo 02 and got stopped in 4 days after leasing it with the factor tint. He got a fix it ticket. He just went to the station and they signed it off. They didn't even inspect the car.
Old 10-20-02, 05:16 AM
jakeMCknight
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by GS4Will
Romi..i have 35% Quantum metallic tint(no problem with my NAV)all around...personally, it all depends on your driving style and attitude when the cops pull up next to you...that and the "luck" factor...if they do not see you as "trouble maker", they will not bother you...complete stop at the stop sign, do not run yellows....things like that....
I think most cops are bullies. The few times they have stopped me they showed very little abstract reasoning and are single minded in their purpose to give you a ticket no matter what. Especially if they have not filled their quota.

Last edited by jakeMCknight; 10-21-02 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-20-02, 04:54 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by jakeMCknight

I think most cops are bullies. The few times they have stopped me showed very little abstract reasoning and are single minded in their purpose to give you a ticket no matter what. Especially if they have not filled their quota.
Just let the cop feel like he/she is boss, 'just act dumb' ...lol

The first time I got pulled, I made the dumb mistake of saying I've seen tint on many other cars, and asked the cop about the justification of not being able to tint front windows....the cop got pretty mad and refused to answer why tinting the fronts is illegal. On top of that, he saw my corners were clear so he asked me to flash my turn signals (he was looking for xenon or blue bulbs). Next, he walked around the car and saw I had smoked license plate covers. In the end; I HAD 3 TICKETS!!!!!!!!

The second time I got pulled, I learned from experience. I immediately put the front windows down, tried to be as courteous as possible and apoligized to the cop saying I didn't understand why tinted fronts are illegal and i will get rid of them as ASAP. all goood....no tickets...no problems.
Old 10-20-02, 07:51 PM
Drimweaver88
Pole Position

and if you stay quiet and act just do what he say...the cop will less likely to remember you. What i do in turn when i get the ticket is fight it in court, and if you didnt give him a reason to remember you, more likely he will not appear in court. I have done it countless times and i always get my bail amount and no record.

Quick Reply: questions on tint for the GS