GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

questions on tint for the GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-02, 02:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default questions on tint for the GS

well, talking to my gf today and she suddenly said we should get tint for our cars all around (except the winshield of course). so now i need to start learning about tints.... any info? can you guys post your gs with tints, and tell me what kind of tint you have?

i heard about quantum, titanium, formula 1, etc.... what are these? how are they different?!

thanks for all the help, i am such a newbie on tihs
Old 10-18-02, 04:16 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

6% quantium tint all around
Old 10-18-02, 04:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by alexus

6% quantium tint all around
wow that's dark what's special about quantium?
Old 10-18-02, 10:04 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have Nav, NO METALIC TINT!
Old 10-18-02, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DevilDogIS300
If you have Nav, NO METALIC TINT!
the good news is, i don't have nav

so how's metalic different from others @_@
Old 10-18-02, 02:09 PM
LexGS3
Driver

metallic tint wont f up the fm radio will it? I have heard just the am? I have been wanting to tint my car to protect the leather against fading but have been afraid of fm reception being horrible.
Old 10-18-02, 02:44 PM
surge1
Driver School Candidate

Default tints

well, metallic tints wont fade like regular tints. personally i got 20% non metalic tint all around. Metallic costs more, but it looks nice. That ofcourse depends on the color of ur car. I have the champagne color and i diddnt think metallic would look good. best of luck in finding the right tint for urself. goto a local shop and check what they can do.

the funny thing is my gf suggested the same thing about tints as i pulled up to a rest area
Old 10-18-02, 03:15 PM
altaf
Pole Position

If you use a radar detector, don't get metallic tint as it degrades its performance. Other things I'd look for is how close to the edge of the window the tint covers. I've seen some shops that have a "demo" car available to showoff their workmanship, but that doesn't mean your car will be as meticulously done. Observe how the employees work on other peoples cars and see how those come out. That way you'll know what to really expect.

-Altaf
Old 10-18-02, 03:36 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a non-metallic tint in my car because I have the navigation system option. Here is a link to the Sun-Gard tint that I got.

http://www.sun-gard.com/prods/nrw_charcoal_series.htm

I got the midnight charcoal in 20% since my car is black. This one has a 5 year warranty which is the best I've seen for non-metallic tints. Metallized tints have a lifetime warranty.

Here is a link to a list of all their automotive films.

http://www.sun-gard.com/automotive_products.htm

I also considered getting one of these Solar-Gard films specifically the NR Charcoal 23 or NR Charcoal 17 because there are non-metallic tints.

http://www.solargard.com/Performance/Perf_Auto_text.htm

Alexus, that chart actually lists the Quantum tint that you have but the lowest percentage there is 14% so I'm wondering if that chart is out of date since it was last updated 9/01 or if you ended up with HP True Grey or HP Charcoal which are both available in 6%.
Old 10-18-02, 03:45 PM
JacobT

Aren't you going to get a ticket if you tint the front windows in CA? My sistor moved from TX to CA and got a ticket first week to remove the tint I'd think CA sun is as bad as TX.
Old 10-18-02, 03:53 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by JacobT
Aren't you going to get a ticket if you tint the front windows in CA? My sistor moved from TX to CA and got a ticket first week to remove the tint I'd think CA sun is as bad as TX.
Yep, according to this chart tint law chart, in CA the front windows have to let at least 70% light transmission, just like NY. This chart is from the International Window Film Association web site.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm
Old 10-18-02, 04:24 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a Millenium Silver GS.....and thought that a silver reflective tint would look great. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. All GS door and rear windows come with a special UV protection coating (to protect your interior).

This coating will make your silver reflective tints look YELLOWISH.

Here's a test for you. Take a piece of white paper and place it against your window. Take a look from the other side of the window. Is the white paper now yellowish?

Personally, I would go with smoke dark tints with no reflective elements.

Hope this helps!

Pete
Old 10-18-02, 04:35 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 55% metallic tint
Old 10-18-02, 04:41 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Originally posted by PHML
I got a Millenium Silver GS.....and thought that a silver reflective tint would look great. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. All GS door and rear windows come with a special UV protection coating (to protect your interior).

This coating will make your silver reflective tints look YELLOWISH.

Pete
I sort of noticed the same thing with my tint when light reflects off it at certain angles, however, at the same time my car also seems to take on a goldish/yellowish hue, so it does not borther me. Maybe I just need to clean my contacts
Old 10-18-02, 04:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by JacobT
yup you are right, that's why i never tinted my cars until this point. but now my gf is crying for tint, i have no choice

thanks for all the info. i am at work now but i will read everything tonight

Quick Reply: questions on tint for the GS