GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*New GS Ad Puts BMW to Shame*

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-01, 08:47 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Globe,

Did you read the posts? If you did, please read them again. The only reason I mentioned Toyota was to refute the argument that Lexus has only been in the game a few years when they are really just a brand of Toyota which has been in the game a long time. I don't know how to be any more clear about the argument.

I have never criticized Lexus for being a Toyota and actually agree that is a good thing.

Now read this twice so there is no misunderstanding. The Camry reference was boring car v. boring car. I thought you guys would get that.
Old 03-20-01, 11:14 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i guess most americans like boring cars

i will take the boring camry/corolla any day over the so called"ultimate driving machine". at least the boring car does not break down and embarrase me in front of hundreds of teenagers. i guess bmw has not been in the auto mfg long enough to make quality cars. oops, i am wrong. they have been in the market for a while too.

anyone care to guess estimate how many potential benz and bmw owners toyota has taken away from them? i guess americans "love" boring cars. Or, is it because they want quality.
Old 03-20-01, 11:35 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Just the idea that BMW advertisements degrade the Lexus is a sign to me that they do notice Lexus as a competitor and their getting scared.
Old 03-20-01, 11:56 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

I am a visitor and trying to be polite but the shots keep coming. BTW, if you are embarrased because of what a 12 or 13 year old thinks about you...well you have some issues.

Also, if you would really rather drive a Camry than a 330i or similar car I am wasting my time talking to you about performance or anything else.

Lexus is a competitor, and as already mentioned, BMW would be crazy not to respond simply because it might appear scared. Anyone in business should take competition seriously.

Bottom line, as is apparent from this board, many Lexus owners would not be buying luxury sports sedans if not offered by Lexus. As such, I wonder how many of the units sold really are lost sales to BMW. I think Mercedes may be hurt worse than BMW by Lexus.
Old 03-20-01, 03:37 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Red face you got that right

i guess it is bmw's current policy and may even be in its manual:" our current competiton is aimed at other autos that sell for at least 50% less than our asking price".

first it was the $50k m3 winking at the $35k is300, and now we have the $40k 330 comparing with the camry. all i see is nothing but insecurity.

you are right, i do have issues. my"issues" were that i was on some stupid high when i sign on the dotted line on the 735 beemer. my issue was to believe the tech guy when he told me everything was fine 7 days before the 735 died on me. i should have forlk over more $$$$ for the mcar like you. anything less than the m would be nothing but trouble. no, may be not.

i actually used the $18k boring company camry to rescue a co-worker when his 98m3 transmission(45K miles) died on the freewy. his words to me "i am going to shove the trans up the sales guys____???"

ya, i have issues.
Old 03-20-01, 03:44 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Default please do not waste your time

as a humble camry driver, please do not waste your valuable time talking to me. after all, you have the mighty mcar, and i drive the boring company camry on a daily basis. like you said, i know nothing about performance.
all i know is to ensure my friends and families do not have to go through your so-called "issues" after they spend $40-$50k on a car.
Old 03-20-01, 03:57 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb Calm

Calm down.. its only a car...
Old 03-20-01, 04:34 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default I don't agree manny

Originally posted by babyGS3
Kel,
anyways, about toyota... i still dont think toyota has the same amount of experience or is even close to being as old as BMW or MB...The bimmers and benzes have their legacies and niches in history already... Toyota and Lex I would say have earned another niche... you know.. when daimler bought chrysler or chrysler bought daimler... whatever the heck happened... I was wondering why daimler just didnt join with Toyota/Lex... In my uninformed opinion, that would have been great.
Yeap Manny you are very much uninformed. Daimler bought Chrysler. I think was dumb from Daimlers point of view. Mercedes has gone down a few notches in my personal scale because of that and I have the authority to say this, as I worked in a Chrysler dealership and KNOW how Chrysler Corp. works. I my family has owned many Mercedes cars most of them Diesel european versions which are BY FAR more reliable than anything Toyota has ever built, well almost. But now days things have changed and not for the better. NEVER I say NEVER put Toyota and Chrysler in the same sentence because you will be doing Toyota great harm.

BTW you cracked me up with your previous comments, thanks.

My 2 cents and sorry if I offend any Chrysler owners (you still have time to sell)

Mind:eek:
Old 03-20-01, 04:42 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Neither my wife's '94 Maxima (very Camryish) or my M5 have ever left us stranded. Your problem seems to have been with your BMW tech.

We can all find these stories of lemon Hondas, ES300's will failed transmissions (a friend of mine), Ford Explorer whose transmission fails at 48k as the warranty expires (my in law) but those are exceptions not the rule.

My point about the Camry vs. 330i is that someone who loves the economy and reliabilty of a Camry will have far different priorities than one who wants a real sports sedan.

In regard to price, have you ever thought that Toyota doesn't sell an M car because it would be expensive. The Toyota Supra was not cheap in its last iteration. Limited production cars with lots of expensive engine bits simply are expensive to build. GM supposedly loses money on Corvettes. I am sure Lexus would sell a GS at the level of the M5 for less than the M5 but it woud easily be in the $60k's.

Old 03-20-01, 04:43 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Hello mind,

"my family has owned many Mercedes cars most of them Diesel european versions which are BY FAR more reliable than anything Toyota has ever built, well almost."

Are you sure MBs at that time were BY FAR more reliable than anything Toyota has ever built, or even almost. I would like to hear your opinion about this.

Abdulrahman

P.S I think you are referring to the late 70 early 80
Old 03-20-01, 09:54 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Default yeap abdul

Yeap I am refering to the OLD very OLD 300D models. Have had 4 and we still have 2. I personally own one that I'm selling if you so wish to buy it it has oooohhh well just over 450,000 miles (1/2 a million) and is still running fine and no overhaul. Drive it almost everyday to work, A/C, mint condition! I am talking RELIABILITY here. This car has over 20 years of service.

But don't take my word for it, ask around.
Then again I am not defending MB because quality is not the same now. That is why now I own a lexus and had to go against everybody else in my family.

Mind
Old 03-20-01, 10:17 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Default Mind...Kkelly

Mind...

ya... I thought that daimler bought chrysler....common sense would tell you that... but i was told otherwise by the (no longer) Mercedes dealership on Guam. I did get into a discussion with the guy... so just to be safe I said either or... anyway... my point there was.. when I heard the news a couple of years ago, I was like " what the hell... why didnt benz just merge with Lexus/toyota!!! I swear, that would have made a supercar!" but noooo... Benzes now have the reliability worth crap... I know what you mean about the old Benzes.. those were built like tanks meant to withstand anything... there are several on island still running in good condition!

Kelly,
I (part of the minority on this board) would not take a camry over a 3 series... It's just not me....no offense to camry owners... In fact if you could give me both, I'd take both.. Camrys (toyotas/lexuses) are good cars... So are Bimmers...I do not have an obsessive hatred against Bimmers or Benzes OR camrys OR whatever... I could say things about certain aspects of the cars..but I dont hate them...I'm the kind of guy that wants the best of all worlds... Bims, Benzes, and Lexi... Hopefully in the future, I want a custom made Ferarri, Porsche, and a Bentley or RollsRoyce...
I have a nondiscriminatory policy about cars... if I dont like something.. I will comment no matter what brand.. a car is a car...
Just couldnt resist: About Ford.... Helllooooo... Fix Or Repair Daily (FORD)... hahahhaha It is a proven fact here on Guam! It is also true about a lot of domestic cars... and the German Makes...I do hope they shape up! Actually, toyota is STARTING to join in there too... but not nearly as bad as the rest...
Another thing to add... I have to quote my neighbor here... "Bims and Benzes are made for the rich folk... sure, almost anyone can afford to buy them... they cost about as much as some other makes out there (Lex, Lincoln, Infiniti, etc)... BUT you have to be rich to be able to afford the repairs after your warranty runs out!"
when he told me this, i was pissed at first... but, I just laugh now... cuz, to an extent, it's true!

Last edited by babyGS3; 03-20-01 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-20-01, 10:48 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Red face In have another $1.75 to add...

In have another $1.75 to add... actually.... about the reliability of Benzes, Bimmers, and Lexuses.... the most defective thing I see around here (on guam) are some of the drivers of these cars... I swear it true... I wish they can issue a recall for some of the personalities of these people! I also hate people who cant stand that you have a nice car that they have to go and do something about it....

ok.. got that off my chest... sorry guys.. having a bad day...
Old 03-21-01, 12:29 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

babyGS3 - sorry you having a bad day. Go down the page till you see the BMW DRIVER thread. Take a look at that Boeing 747 uhh i meant BMW . Just looking at that car oughta get you cracking up and brighten your day.
Old 03-21-01, 01:32 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Question Daimler / Chrysler ????

Just the two names in one sentence has me shakin' my head!!!!! What were the Benz people thinking?????

The same applies to Jaguar. I have always wanted a supercharged XJ Vanden Plas. What a car! But now it's nothing but a crappy Ford. Was I disappointed

C.

Quick Reply: *New GS Ad Puts BMW to Shame*