GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*New GS Ad Puts BMW to Shame*

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-01, 06:41 PM
SC_Speed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yo I just saw it on the tube... it goes something like this:
"Not only does the new GS430 have more torque and horsepower than the BMW 540i... It also stops faster." (They come up on a cliff and the BMW goes off the edge)

" Lexus... pursuit of perfection "
Old 03-16-01, 09:19 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blood

i can see the blood being shot from BMW to LEX, LEX to BMW

i saw the bmw ad on the 3-series against the IS3,

"we looked perfection straight in the eye, it blinked"

how dumb is that? how does that relate IN ANY WAY to a car? what a bunch of idiots, i'm sorry kelly, but go tell your bmw advertising friends that they're a bunch of idiots. people should start watching Mazda commercials, now that makes me want a Mazda! ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM
Old 03-17-01, 03:30 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Red face that's weird...

ok... "we looked perfection straight in the eye, it blinked" are you sure perfection didnt just wink at you or flirt with you? Did you remember to switch back to low beams?

these advertising firms are getting weirder and weirder....

I dont have anything against Bimms and Benzes... they're fun to drive..... I'll just keep my lex for when they breakdown... I enjoy all these cars... each has a different spirit and a different purpose... It's nice to switch once in a while...

~manny
Old 03-17-01, 10:54 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bimmer ad

The bimmer ad I saw was specifically the M3 not the other 3 series. Understandable that a limted production car that costs 10-12K more will handle and perform better than the IS. Dollar for dollar car for car, the IS trounces the entire 3 series line-up except the M3. Hats off to BMW the M3 is a great car, but let's be realistic boys and girls - its not really apples to apples now is it.

I sent an e-mail to the L-Tuned folks, letting them know that we are all out here anxiously awaiting the "true" performance mods for Lexus'. They replied
Thank you for your support of L-Tuned and TRD. We are glad to hear that our efforts to enhance the performance image of Lexus is appreciated by enthusiasts like yourselves. L-Tuned/TRD will offer more sport parts for the Lexus line in the near future. Please check our website for future
updates.
So hopefully they can find it in their plans to offer a production version of an L-Tuned car thats more than jsut suspension and body mods.
Old 03-17-01, 11:33 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Red face give me a break, please

that was exactly how i felt when i saw the printed the ads. of M3 trying to " ? " to the Is. the problem is, what is the ad trying to say? to use a $50k car to bully a potent $35k car when the $35k car dominated in alomost every aspect against its little bros..

i guess the $40k reg. 3s cannot paly up to par in the play ground and they have to go home for help.

let me hear from all you experts in this panel, what can we or the trd folks do with $15000 upgrades and run circle around the big bully? i bet $10k would be more than enough.
Old 03-17-01, 11:46 AM
Harrier
Pole Position

Manny, that's some funny ****e! LOL.
Old 03-17-01, 04:58 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Talking hehh

thanks

but forreals... I really dont think I like the rivalry between BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus... When the rivalry gets to be as hot as it did in Bimmer.org, it defames the names of all three manufacturers which claim to be of high class... It reduces each car to rice-car standards!
I do like all three for their different spirits.... The BMW is fun to drive (stock cars) and I do like some of the design...just that there are reliability issues... computer breaking down 2 days after delivery... umm.. list list list... Mercedes... wrapped in luxury...beautiful design (my model), but it is definitely not perfection... For these two, I'd always recommend to get 2-4 year extended warranty! You'll need it! (from experience) and dont say I dont take care of my car... every service is up to par by my personal friend at the dealer! In fact it is so well maintained that every single recurring problem is documented in a pile that is as thick as the catholic holy bible!
Now, Lexus, all around car... reliability #1! Service, looks, engineering, electronics all good! Performance... uh... L-tuned needs to take some testosterone or adrenaline or something to compete with //M or AMG or brabus... Given that Lexus is only an infant compared to these other manufacturers and is able to produce cars that actually CAN compete and even sometimes surpass (in some levels) these cars is what I consider somewhat of a feat to be applauded. Note to Lexus L-tuned: get off your ballz and start running again...it's not like the technology isnt available (a la supra)! (I'm sure they'll get the message )

on a lighter note...
Hell.. if perfection blinked at me... I'd wink back... after all she's perfect, isnt she?
It'd be funny if Lexus rebutted in my fashion... In a posh social gathering far far away...
"(seductive lady's voice) Bimmer claimed that when he looked me in the eye, I blinked... I had noticed him staring at me, so demure an divine from across the room for some time now, and decided that it was time for him to come on over and BRING IT ON!!"
Now the ending part is in question.. what do you think is best...
1. It was fun while it lasted... I had to leave him in the dust... (basically he wasn't good enough)
2. Apparently I came on too strong...He didnt have the ballz to approach me (just stare from across the room)
3. I filed for sexual harassment! what gives him the right to stare at me that way!!!
4. It was the beginning of a fast and furious love affair...

Oh and who will be the seductive lady's voice? (lexuslady.. will you take the job?)
Old 03-18-01, 07:28 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Manny you're too funny man! you should be a comedian! haha

Old 03-19-01, 07:28 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

I don't get so emotional over car commercials. They are meant to sell products and I would hope you don't believe everything you hear. The next 540i will actually be a 545i and get a 50hp bump and likely bigger brakes and be available with a manual transmission. So we will see.

By the way, Lexus may not have been around as long as BMW but it is actually Toyota so that argument is kind of funny.
Old 03-19-01, 02:06 PM
LexusLady
Pole Position

Sure Manny, anytime!!!

kkelly, why do you keep on about the Toyota thing? Are you looking for trouble, or do you think that insult's us Lexus/Toyota owners. Quite the contrary bud, makes me real proud!

Thanx

C.
Old 03-19-01, 02:13 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Default BMW

Kel,

dont get me wrong... I do still love to have a BMW... (and a mercedes)... they are great cars.. not perfect (not even lex is perfect) but they are great.. I really just want to make fun of the commercials... they are always real funny.. I have always wanted to be in the advertising/marketing business but... oh well.. studying to be a doctor...

anyways, about toyota... i still dont think toyota has the same amount of experience or is even close to being as old as BMW or MB...The bimmers and benzes have their legacies and niches in history already... Toyota and Lex I would say have earned another niche... you know.. when daimler bought chrysler or chrysler bought daimler... whatever the heck happened... I was wondering why daimler just didnt join with Toyota/Lex... In my uninformed opinion, that would have been great.
Old 03-19-01, 02:57 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Red face yeh, beemer is good

from my exp., bmw is quite fun to drive. wouldn't mind to have an M3.

Especially when the car is leaking coolant all over the road, you need all that M power to get you to the ER and your dealers' mechanic.

the only problem is, where do you go first?
the ER? otherwise you will die from all the embarrasment as people look at you.
or do you go to the mechanic before the ER to save the engine?

Old 03-19-01, 05:06 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

I don't think calling it a Toyota is a criticism at all. Toyota was successfully racing Celicas in IMSA in the 80's, has engines in IRL and CART, and they know what they are doing. I am saying that it isn't true that they have had much less time to develop sports sedans than BMW. BMW has simply applied their Motorsport division technology to street cars. Toyota could do the same. What stops them is corporate policy not ability.

I actually liked the IS vs. 3 series rally commercial, though it was funny. Of course it was b.s. but hey it may sell cars.

As for BMW's breaking down, I will turn blue telling people mine doesn't. However, I must say that if I am going to enter into a discussion about sports sedans I don't want my best argument to be "Well my car is more reliable." That would be good for the Camry vs. Cavalier argument.
Old 03-19-01, 05:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by KKelly
I don't think calling it a Toyota is a criticism at all. Toyota was successfully racing Celicas in IMSA in the 80's, has engines in IRL and CART, and they know what they are doing. I am saying that it isn't true that they have had much less time to develop sports sedans than BMW. BMW has simply applied their Motorsport division technology to street cars. Toyota could do the same. What stops them is corporate policy not ability.

I actually liked the IS vs. 3 series rally commercial, though it was funny. Of course it was b.s. but hey it may sell cars.

As for BMW's breaking down, I will turn blue telling people mine doesn't. However, I must say that if I am going to enter into a discussion about sports sedans I don't want my best argument to be "Well my car is more reliable." That would be good for the Camry vs. Cavalier argument.

if you don't consider calling Lexus as Toyota as a criticism then don't mention it and make people misunderstand. I believe the name Toyota has been linked with reliability and AFTERMARKET PARTS (like honda) and don't see what's so funny about bringing the toyota thing up. wasn't BMW a starving company before?

And hey, I would take a Toyota over BMW anyday. Rather drive Corolla than 323i. No pun intended. It's true, it's true, and that's the bottom line.

I'm not trying to put BMW down in any way. They're GREEEEEEAAAAAAATTTT cars. Ultimate drivin machines, right?
Old 03-19-01, 08:34 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i kinda agree with you globe, but i'm gonna have to ask you to settle, deap breaths, in and out, in and out, good man. no offence kkelly but when i see manufacturers that are to scared to try something new (i say this looking at audi now making all of their car look like the A6, benz making all their cars look like the new S500, and BMW that hasn't changed they're design in as long as i know) it turns me away, whereas lexus, well if you don't agree with me that lexus has done some truly original work then we are obviosly not on the same wave length but i guess i'm saying i want a car thats custom, like no other, thats one of the reasons i love modifiying cars, and also for the love of speed. the two reasons i didn't go into hondas instead was:
1. (main reason) everyone had them, people that didn't know jack about a honda would just buy one then stick on yellow tape and rims and say it was sweet!, thats also a turn off, to be like everyone else
2. it was FWD, and if any of you guys know me at all, you know that i like to get the rear wheels loose, and you can do that with a FWD, just lock them up.
sorry for gettin off topic...

Quick Reply: *New GS Ad Puts BMW to Shame*