GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help Identifying Front End Pop..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 08:53 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you didn't replace your trailing arm bushing when you replaced your lower ball joints and it is bad, then I am sure your LBJs are bad again. I tend to have a popping still but I believe it is my strut and or wheel bearings going out. I will know for sure this weekend.
Old 01-23-12, 09:08 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Should change ur LCA #2 also

Originally Posted by justablkv8
Mine is starting to do this.

If you're on anything higher than 17 inch wheels i'm thinkin the strain is killing these aftermarket parts. I replaced my ball joints, inner outer tie rods, and sway end links up front but then I had bad bearings so I got those changed out. Since then I've noticed some issues but nothing too big but I've been getting the clunks.

Going to change out all the parts again since I've got nothing better to do. lol

will report back if you're still having the same issue and this fixes mine.
Old 01-23-12, 09:36 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just came in from the garage checking the LCA's... Bushings look good. It seems a previous owner probably did the LCA's and UCA's before I got the car. Bushings still look decent, not ripped up or anything.

Like I said though i'll have my mechanic take a second look sometime this week and see if he can see anything. One of my friends also said for me to check that my end links are tightened, 'cause if they aren't then they could be causing some noise, so ima check those also and tighten where needed. Otherwise we'll see what my mechanic says. Told him I want my LBJ's checked again but i'll have him check the whole front end for anything suspicious.
Old 01-23-12, 09:51 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is getting a little frustrating, see I dont think its the coils because this noise was around before I installed them
Old 01-23-12, 09:53 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by monkey92
i suffer from this too on my 2gs, but i only hear it when i back up in the morning and brake, after that i doesnt make that noise again till the next morning cold start. if someone can figure this out it would be so nice.
^^^^ THIS.

Man, I think we should post all the symptoms in bullets in the Original Post.

It seems more and more people are experiencing this, maybe by gathering everyones recent actions up untill the noise started we might get a better idea..
Old 01-23-12, 11:11 AM
GSTaxi
Driver School Candidate

Hi mate, I was getting a clicking sound when turning slowly (manouvering), reversing, 3 point turns etc. It started off very faint but ended up sounding like something was about to bloody snap down there.

I read a few posts and ppl were suggesting that brake caliper guide pins that had gone dry were to blame.

So i stripped em down, cleaned em up and regreased em, regreased all the shims and changed the pads for new (they were due for replacement anyway) and it 100% cured the issue. It's not something I would have EVER considered (based on the noises i was getting) but it sorted it out for me.

Worth a shot? Cheap fix if successful, if not then it can only do your brakes good to give em some copper grease love anyway.

Good luck mate.

Will.
Old 01-23-12, 11:22 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

^ I too heard something about the brakes... what exactly did you do ?
Old 01-23-12, 11:58 AM
GSTaxi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
^ I too heard something about the brakes... what exactly did you do ?
I just took the guide pins out, cleaned em up and re-greased them with copper grease. Then I replaced the pads (they were worn anyway). When installing the pads I cleaned up the shims (2 per pad) and regreased those too. Basically if you do it, just make sure all the old dirt is off the parts and grease em up and put it all back together. 30 mins per side is all it takes. Made a huge difference for me (and I wasn't expecting it to).

Oh and it got rid of the brake squeal too

Will.
Old 01-25-12, 08:34 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Well figured out my problem today at the mechanic. Lifted up the car and tested just about everything possible. LBJ's showed no play and everything was tight.. Then we checked the lower control arms where you adjust camber etc for alignment and bam... Apparently when I went in for my alignment last week the bolt wasn't tightened back enough so there was play in the arm. My mechanic tightened it up real good and on the drive home and also when parking I heard nothing. I'll keep a ear to it though, but for now, the sound is gone.
Old 01-25-12, 11:05 PM
bashigs300
Pole Position

damn. my car makes the exact same noise from left front too. i ordered a set of new lbj but if that fixed your then maybe mine is the same thing? do BJ go bad on these cars often? i heard couple time here that the lbj failed on them sinec i came here. never seen this before on any car unless the cars had tons of miles on them.
Old 01-26-12, 06:20 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bashigs300
damn. my car makes the exact same noise from left front too. i ordered a set of new lbj but if that fixed your then maybe mine is the same thing? do BJ go bad on these cars often? i heard couple time here that the lbj failed on them sinec i came here. never seen this before on any car unless the cars had tons of miles on them.
I'd still change/check your LBJ's. Yes they do fail and when they do it is not good at all.
Old 01-26-12, 05:02 PM
bashigs300
Pole Position

just got them tonight. i'm going to replace them anyway. seems pretty easy no pressing required at all.

Last edited by bashigs300; 01-26-12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 05:06 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Well figured out my problem today at the mechanic. Lifted up the car and tested just about everything possible. LBJ's showed no play and everything was tight.. Then we checked the lower control arms where you adjust camber etc for alignment and bam... Apparently when I went in for my alignment last week the bolt wasn't tightened back enough so there was play in the arm. My mechanic tightened it up real good and on the drive home and also when parking I heard nothing. I'll keep a ear to it though, but for now, the sound is gone.
Good find.
Old 01-27-12, 07:01 AM
1slowsc
Driver

I had same problem but it was my lower ball joint, didnt have no play when moving wheel on rack except when pushing the wheels up in the wheel well, i heard the play in the lower balljoint.
Old 01-27-12, 09:37 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1slowsc
I had same problem but it was my lower ball joint, didnt have no play when moving wheel on rack except when pushing the wheels up in the wheel well, i heard the play in the lower balljoint.
That true, wiggling the wheel doesnt always justify if ball joints are bad. You gotta jack the car up from the lower control arm that u are checking the balljoint on the wiggle and watch if the ball joint is moving

Quick Reply: Help Identifying Front End Pop..