GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 09:58 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Here is the thing, it will fix itself if I turn the car off, all the way off meaning the key has to be out of ACC mode and then restart and it shifts fine again. Lately it has been getting worse where it wont fix itself after a quick restart.
Old 01-24-12, 06:53 AM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ITs fixing itself bc you're somewhat resetting the ecu's when you turn the car on and off.
Old 01-24-12, 07:52 AM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by justablkv8
ITs fixing itself bc you're somewhat resetting the ecu's when you turn the car on and off.
Correct, so what is the problem?
Old 01-24-12, 08:52 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I would try to change the tranny fluid first. With the car level, only two quarts will come out. I put my car on the old school metal ramps and 3 quarts comes out. I change tranny fluid every 20k miles. Also, it could be your transmission shift control solenoids going bad when you are having funny shifting points. They could start to act up between 125-300k miles.
Old 01-25-12, 09:47 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
I would try to change the tranny fluid first. With the car level, only two quarts will come out. I put my car on the old school metal ramps and 3 quarts comes out. I change tranny fluid every 20k miles. Also, it could be your transmission shift control solenoids going bad when you are having funny shifting points. They could start to act up between 125-300k miles.
Are there individual ones for each gear? I have issues in first but that is the only gear I have problems in
Old 01-25-12, 12:00 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 850Lexus
Are there individual ones for each gear? I have issues in first but that is the only gear I have problems in
If you only got a problem in one gear then it could be the solenoid or the gear itself
Old 01-28-12, 08:41 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Well today it was shifting fine for a while then skipped 4th gear and went straight into 5th. From there on the car would reduce power when I tried to accelerate like limp mode or something.

Any ideas?
Old 01-29-12, 05:37 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had that issue on my GS300 about 4years ago, took the car to lexus replaced the trans 3-4 times still no fix and the last time i took it there after they replaced the trans , they had told me that the car needs a TB which was $1600...I told them to put my car back together and i picked it up the same day.

On my way home Bought a new battery and some gun cut , removed the tb cleaned it with some gun cut , installed the battery and it's has been 4years with no problem .
it started to do it couple weeks ago , that means my bbattery needs replacement.

Mine will bang into gears from first to second , i mean really hard. it feels like i got rear end by a truck. Something i put it in D and the car will not move i can rev it to 3k -4k rpm and it won't even move without the emergency brake lol.

it's crazy!!!
Old 01-29-12, 03:06 PM
Vegas
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
I had that issue on my GS300 about 4years ago, took the car to lexus replaced the trans 3-4 times still no fix and the last time i took it there after they replaced the trans , they had told me that the car needs a TB which was $1600...I told them to put my car back together and i picked it up the same day.

On my way home Bought a new battery and some gun cut , removed the tb cleaned it with some gun cut , installed the battery and it's has been 4years with no problem .
it started to do it couple weeks ago , that means my bbattery needs replacement.

Mine will bang into gears from first to second , i mean really hard. it feels like i got rear end by a truck. Something i put it in D and the car will not move i can rev it to 3k -4k rpm and it won't even move without the emergency brake lol.

it's crazy!!!

The battery? really? Was your battery getting weak at all? Your the second person who said this now.
Old 01-29-12, 11:41 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas
The battery? really? Was your battery getting weak at all? Your the second person who said this now.
If your curious, get your battery Load Tested.
Old 02-01-12, 07:19 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes sir the battery ! I replaced it and problem fixed.
Old 02-01-12, 09:27 AM
Kzem
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4

it's crazy!!!
Had same exact problem a little while ago. Took it to a guy i know he told me the weak first gear was caused by a bad/weak battery. The odd shift points though may need some fluid but the battery being replaced cured all the problems. So yea the battery can effect the transmission its crazy how everything in these cars is tied together.
Old 02-01-12, 11:44 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

See, I knew more people who had this issue and got it solved by replacing the battery would chime in eventually. It appears that Lexus designed the tranny in a way that it relies on it for its shifting points. I'm getting an Optima battery to avoid this issue completely...
Old 02-01-12, 01:13 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's called multiplexing great if you have the Lexus scanner otherwise it can be a nightmare
Old 02-01-12, 04:47 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ah, hmm...something like this?

http://www.google.com/patents/US5251211

Quick Reply: Transmission issue