GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How many of you guys wash your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 03:16 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Default How many of you guys wash your cars?

Ok, let me rephrase that question. How many of you guys wash your cars while it's around 30 degrees outside on your driveway?

Well, call me crazy but I just did because my car looked gray. I could barely see out my rear window because of how dirty the car was. Damn winter weather. Just washed the car outside with some warm water and everybody that drove by stared at me. Most of them laughed and waved while others looked at me confusingly. I can't blame them, I sometime think others are crazy when they do the same (it's ironic how my neighbor and I both wash our cars no matter the weather). Now, the Black Onyx is really shining and showing its true colors. Hopefully it stays this way for awhile. Couldn't take it anymore with the car looking like that. Besides, I didn't want all that salt from the ground affecting my paint.

This is only the front of the car, just imagine the rest.
Before/After pic
Just front bumper pictures so you can really see the difference. After pic isn't to great because of lighting and iPhone pics aren't to great.
Attached Thumbnails How many of you guys wash your cars?-img_0071-1-.jpg   How many of you guys wash your cars?-img_0132-1-.jpg  
Old 02-06-12, 03:29 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I have done it plenty of times and my hands hated me for it. They turned bright red and were burning. Had to to a few breaks to warm them up, then back out to work. Actually just did it a week ago.
Old 02-06-12, 03:40 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 02Legend
I have done it plenty of times and my hands hated me for it. They turned bright red and were burning. Had to to a few breaks to warm them up, then back out to work. Actually just did it a week ago.
My hands absolutely hate it also. I didn't want to take a break today and risk letting the car freeze as it has happened before. I just put on some nice warm gloves after awhile and they seemed to hold up pretty well. Just sprayed some water, some soap, some more water and parked it in the garage to dry it. Took about 30 mins but I think it was worth it. Car looks so much better, before the wash today, I had to look out my rear view window through my fingerprints on the window from brushing the snow off one day. It SUCKED!!!
Old 02-06-12, 03:55 PM
bennylex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two years owning my gs and ive always hand washed it myself. when winter comes, i just put on those yellow dish-washing gloves so my hands dont get wet, and im good to go, although it gets done faster than normal because its so much colder out.
Old 02-06-12, 03:57 PM
00LexusGS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bennylex
two years owning my gs and ive always hand washed it myself. when winter comes, i just put on those yellow dish-washing gloves so my hands dont get wet, and im good to go, although it gets done faster than normal because its so much colder out.
My GS has probably seen Mike's Express Car Wash maybe twice if most since ownership in '09
Old 02-06-12, 04:09 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I washed my GS last saturday. Low to mid 70's, cool breeze, sun shining and radio UP.

Wife beater, basketball shorts, and bare feet too.
Old 02-06-12, 04:12 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
I washed my GS last saturday. Low to mid 70's, cool breeze, sun shining and radio UP.

Yeah Yeah, rub it in
Old 02-06-12, 04:21 PM
ShellWeezy
Rookie

+1
Old 02-06-12, 04:50 PM
gs300yerg
Rookie

I usually keep it to a minimum in the winter but with all this warm weather we've been getting in pa I've been washing it a lot
Old 02-06-12, 04:56 PM
giolex300
Driver

Hahahaha...+1......nice cold beer while cleaning her...
Old 02-06-12, 04:59 PM
HrdPrkDGS4
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice I washed mine yesterday but it was 27 out and just decided to take it to the car wash and dry and clean it at home does that count lol
Old 02-06-12, 05:30 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

All i know is that last time i was in NY during the winter month the car washes are usually packed...
Old 02-06-12, 05:41 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I'm lucky I live in South Florida lol. My GS gets washed every Thursday or Friday even though I put less than 50 miles on it a week lol. I love washing my car, it just doesnt feel right when someone else washes my car.
Old 02-06-12, 05:51 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I live in Texas weather varies, usually it's warm enough to wash. I did mine yesterday. It was breezy and cold.. 47 degrees, although that's nothing to some of y'all it's freezing to me! I like hot weather. Screw cold, lol.

Either way I try to wash my car once a week. I do it myself always using the 2 bucket system.
Old 02-06-12, 05:53 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LuxuryGS3
Since I live in Texas weather varies, usually it's warm enough to wash. I did mine yesterday. It was breezy and cold.. 47 degrees, although that's nothing to some of y'all it's freezing to me! I like hot weather. Screw cold, lol.

Either way I try to wash my car once a week. I do it myself always using the 2 bucket system.
65 degrees is cold to use Floridians lol.

Quick Reply: How many of you guys wash your cars?