GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Air runner rubbing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 04:55 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Air runner rubbing question

Whats good all, I just recently picked up a used AR kit, and wanted to share my findings. I post this to find out if others are running RCA's with their kit and if so are they experiencing some minor rubbing. I found another person on VIPstylecars which is experiencing this as well but I'm waiting to hear back from him to see he is running front RCA's (also which brand).

I bought this kit from my boy Tom which informed me prior so I have no beef with him, we're good. I'm just trying to figure out my option if I should run the front Exact RCA's or not. Both left side and right have the slight rub mark. Air runner stated to shave down the back side of the knuckle arm, but I'm not sure if I want to do this.

Pro: The RCA drops the car an inch which will allow you to ride with more air in the bag at a lower height which will improve the ride quality, and also run your LS400 brakes.

Cons: (IF this is causing the issue) eventually rupturing the bag.

I haven't installed the kit yet but want to look into my options. Maybe I'm wrong about the RCA, maybe it's a normal thing with
AR which stated in writing to shave the back of the knuckle arm.

My last option which I'm leaning towards is these which could be a fix for all the UAS rubbing issues. I'm waiting on figs, but I'm getting antsy.

The more info the better fella, please specify if you are running front RCA's or not. i wasn't event gonna post this
but when i found another person talking about this i had no choice but to open up the convo. For all of those out there
with Air runner, did not shave the knuckle, and running RCA's, check your front bags.

Last edited by nar8ta; 02-06-12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 04:59 PM
gs400rpg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, suscribed.
Old 02-06-12, 06:25 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I'm on this thread also. I will be installing my AR kit soon. I was unaware of the front bag/rub issues. I thought only UAS kits had this problem :-/
Old 02-06-12, 06:48 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by /209JOHN\
Yes, I'm on this thread also. I will be installing my AR kit soon. I was unaware of the front bag/rub issues. I thought only UAS kits had this problem :-/
You in here twin LOL. I want to hear from ya man...need as much info as possible. Do you think this is happening when you air out fully or is
its when inflated? Again this could be the rca's putting the knuckle arm in a different spot.

Twin get at me man....

Last edited by nar8ta; 02-06-12 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 07:05 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nar8ta
You in here twin LOL. I want to hear from ya man...need as much info as possible. Do you think this is happening when you air out fully or is
its when inflated? Again this could be the rca's putting the knuckle arm in a different spot.

Twin get at me man....
Yo yo... my twin broskie...haha

I only have experience with my UAS KIT. Prior to installing my "billet adapters" , while driving low the bags would be fatter of course since they are nearly deflated. Much like a flattened tire. I did not have my Figs RCA kit installed yet. So, I can't say if the angle or position of the arms were affecting it.

I plan to install my AR kit with Figs 22mm front RCA kits soon.

You are asking alot of good questions, hopefully someone on AR and front RCA kits can chime in.
Old 02-06-12, 07:21 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesn't look bad at all. My bags r rubbed way more than that. Although mine r UAS
Old 02-06-12, 10:11 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by /209JOHN\
Yo yo... my twin broskie...haha

I only have experience with my UAS KIT. Prior to installing my "billet adapters" , while driving low the bags would be fatter of course since they are nearly deflated. Much like a flattened tire. I did not have my Figs RCA kit installed yet. So, I can't say if the angle or position of the arms were affecting it.

I plan to install my AR kit with Figs 22mm front RCA kits soon.

You are asking alot of good questions, hopefully someone on AR and front RCA kits can chime in.
Twin, I think I have no choice with the RCA. I have to use it if I want to ride comfortably low.
Keep me posted on your install, i really want to know what you find. I'm still waiting on V (spyder) to do my install. I'm still debating on running the AR manifold. It's sort of bulky compared to Accuair manifold. I'm also thinking of ditching the Air lift autopilot V1.

Shout out to Tom (GS300ToM), thats a real dude right there (he answered every one of my 70 calls lol) that's definitely the homie for life. His honesty was so real. Tom really did his thing putting this kit together..it definitely isn't the basic AR Decade series. Also Shout out to Shin at AR for all of ya help as well.

Originally Posted by 5t341th
Doesn't look bad at all. My bags r rubbed way more than that. Although mine r UAS
No it's define minor but i just don't like it man....I'll be driving around thinking about it and it will annoy me.

Last edited by nar8ta; 02-06-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-06-12, 11:40 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hmm how is that possible with sleeve bags? i know wieh you use UAS bags or double bellow bags they will rub since they are wider.. but with sleeves they are much more narrow..

try this

-install the front bags again
-inflate enough to have it form its proper shape.
-while the car is on jacks, jack up either the front driver or passenger side
-remove wheel
-use a smaller or extra jack and jack the hub up so that the arm goes up
-keep going till it bottoms out on the strut tower and watch for any rubbage.

let us know if its actually rubbing in the spindle.

but notice on the manual that the bags are totally different than the ones you have in your hands
Old 02-07-12, 05:03 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by vwynn
hmm how is that possible with sleeve bags? i know wieh you use UAS bags or double bellow bags they will rub since they are wider.. but with sleeves they are much more narrow..

try this

-install the front bags again
-inflate enough to have it form its proper shape.
-while the car is on jacks, jack up either the front driver or passenger side
-remove wheel
-use a smaller or extra jack and jack the hub up so that the arm goes up
-keep going till it bottoms out on the strut tower and watch for any rubbage.

let us know if its actually rubbing in the spindle.

but notice on the manual that the bags are totally different than the ones you have in your hands
Your guess is as good as mine this is why i thought it may be the RCA's doing. Yeah the picture of the bag in the AR pic is bigger, I'm open for insight, what else could this be. Both front struts have the same two scuffs exactly identical.

Thanks for the walk through. When i install it I'll definitely do as you said to do.

Yo twin, you try this too........

Last edited by nar8ta; 02-07-12 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-07-12, 11:31 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran AR with SAGE front RCAs....both 30mm and 18mm....no rubbing on the sleeves.

Oh, btw, i have not run SAGE 40mm, nor have I run the EXACT 38mm front RCAs.

Yes, the RCAs drop you, so you need more psi in the air bags to get you up to the desired height again...this translate to a stiffer ride due to the higher psi.

I only recently removed the airbag struts to run a new set of coilovers for daily driving.
Old 02-07-12, 11:40 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

im not running AR but ill check mine since i have Ksport with 40mm RCAs
Old 02-08-12, 12:30 AM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by vwynn
im not running AR but ill check mine since i have Ksport with 40mm RCAs
Thanks bro, really appreciate it...
Old 02-08-12, 06:54 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

I've been thinking about pulling my AR soon to switch to coilovers/cups. RCA was an option, good to know you didn't rub with the sage 30mm PHML
Old 02-08-12, 04:01 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Originally Posted by PHML
I ran AR with SAGE front RCAs....both 30mm and 18mm....no rubbing on the sleeves.

Oh, btw, i have not run SAGE 40mm, nor have I run the EXACT 38mm front RCAs.

Yes, the RCAs drop you, so you need more psi in the air bags to get you up to the desired height again...this translate to a stiffer ride due to the higher psi.

I only recently removed the airbag struts to run a new set of coilovers for daily driving.
How was the ride between the 30mm and the 18mm? Was it much of a difference PSI wise?
Spill the bean homie LOL

So ya sellin the car?, if so another vet leaving. You have a PM.

Originally Posted by speedaddic
I've been thinking about pulling my AR soon to switch to coilovers/cups. RCA was an option, good to know you didn't rub with the sage 30mm PHML
Why are you thinking about getting rid of your AR kit. You thinking about this..

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...nmbSlBw&zoom=1

I also want to ask you some question about your air managment . Have you had any trouble with it? No word on the the Air Rex managment but it looks pretty interesting.

http://airrex-usa.com/products/digit...anagement.html

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FJo_...ayer_embedded#!

http://openroadtuning.com/products/a...oller-manifold

Last edited by nar8ta; 02-08-12 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 11:29 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
holler at me thomas if u do remove them as i want air....

Quick Reply: Air runner rubbing question