GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Considering doing an NA-T build to my GS | Boost Logic Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 01:10 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyGS
Seems like there is alot more to it. Kinda scaring me a bit from doing it. Going to look into SRT setup.
Yes there is alot to it. There isn't really any one best way to go, or any kit with 100% of everything you need.

Honestly if your in a state where obd and emission checks aren't required the best bang for the buck is to just do a GTE swap. It's a super easy weekend swap if you have everything you need. And then you can upgrade to a single turbo swap down the road when you need more power. It will drive fine right out the box with no tuning, and it's about 1/3 cheaper than going NA-T..
Old 02-13-12, 06:22 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by puff
That's a waste of time and money.
Incorrect sir. I've posted my dyno numbers which are equal to or better than most basic NA-T builds at a lower cost. PM me for comments.
Old 02-13-12, 09:08 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Incorrect sir. I've posted my dyno numbers which are equal to or better than most basic NA-T builds at a lower cost. PM me for comments.
pm me with some info, i am not looking for huge power, mainly reliability and cost. i could buy a track car for the cost of some of these kits and swaps people do....but hey if you got the dough to play, well then DO IT. i on the other hand do not
Old 02-13-12, 09:51 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

One problem with the custom FFIM is that most of them are ultra short runner designs. The low end torque is absolutely terrible lol. I'm guessing this is mainly due to space constraints, so the runner length is usually around 3-4 inches long or so. It's awesome for top end power and high rpm engines that can take advantage of it, but the low end leaves much to be desired.

It's kind of like having camshafts, whereas stock cams will give you max low end to midrange torque, but fall flat on the face up top at high rpms. Then the big aggressive cams will have nothing down low and be monstrous up top.

This is similar to the intake manifold situation. The stock manifold design with long runners will have maximum low end to mid range torque, but bottleneck the engine up top. Then the short runner intakes will be the opposite and flow like a monster up top.

This is another reason why I like building NA-T cars. The head and intake manifold design is tuned by Toyota to be VERY efficient without boost. Yes, it sucks that the intake manifold wraps over the top of the engine, but that design lends to very good low end torque(for a N/A engine of this size lol). When you add boost to it, the car will have an unusually good low to mid range power, and have decent kick with boost up top. A NA-T with single turbo is a more responsive setup compared to a GTE engine with the same turbo. Once you get to higher HP levels, the NA intake manifold will become a restriction, but at most people's "sane street power level" the GE is going to have better performance. This is strictly speaking from the head and intake manifold design standpoint.

The GTE motor on the other hand was designed with some compromises for packaging reasons. If you compare the intake/exhaust ports on the GE vs GTE you will see what I mean. The GTE head has a less efficient design on the exhaust ports where they have to bend very sharply to attempt to collect the exhaust gas into the two stock twins. The GE head has most of the ports as a pretty straight shot vs the GTE. Don't get me wrong, the GTE performs very well but you can clearly see that Toyota made some sacrifices due to engine packaging.

I've done both setups many times so I have had several cars to compare with now. I've even compared some of the NA-T street setups I've done vs the big dogs GTE street setups from Powerhouse Racing and Boost Logic. None of them can match the low end power and response vs the NA-T. At higher power levels, it's really a toss up of who can build the better engine whether it be a GE or GTE lol.

Last edited by JeffTsai; 02-13-12 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 11:10 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

^^^^^amazing info as always jeff. how much am i looking at for a small power 300hp, RELIABLE kit ? thanks
Old 02-14-12, 12:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

from what i read in the past from other members piecing a Turbo Kit on your own is much cheaper than buying one of these kits...

Last edited by tmf2004; 02-14-12 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 01:11 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-12, 03:05 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
^^^^^amazing info as always jeff. how much am i looking at for a small power 300hp, RELIABLE kit ? thanks
I have a spreadsheet I put together a few years ago with comparing the cost of a piecing together an NA-T, NA-T kits, USDM GTE swap, JDM GTE swap, GTE head with GE bottom modification, and Supercharging. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send the spreadsheet. Options have improved since I put it together 3 years ago nut you'll get the idea quickly of your options.