GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2004,2005 GS info

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 10:40 PM
geebee
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2004,2005 GS info

I read this today on Edmunds GS forum. Thought I'd pass it on. I have no idea of the reliability of the poster.

GB

"For those interested, Lexus held an all-day new products meeting with dealers on Friday. While the new RX 330 was the main topic, Lexus confirmed with their dealers that the next-generation GS will be on sale in the spring of 2004 as a 2005 model (it will not be out this fall). "
Old 10-22-02, 12:42 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there truth to this guys?
Old 10-22-02, 12:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well this past weekend i went to lexus dealer and talked to the sales (speak the same language) for a long time. he told me not to get the gs for another yr or so. the new gs will come out and it would be awesome. that's all he wanted to comment
Old 10-22-02, 01:47 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guessing they are delaying it for ~6 mo. based on my esttimate
Old 10-22-02, 02:35 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

But why though???You think there doing it so they can release the RX first?
Old 10-22-02, 03:29 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

My theory is that they were going to do it by the beginning of next year but they decided to wait to see what's going to come out. basically bwm 5 series, M45 from Infiniti, E class MB, i think audi already updated their a6? Those are the main competitors, and I believe they are waiting, specially on the 5 series, to see what they have to offer so they can come out with a very competitive model, even a M5 fighter. One thing I was not expecting is them taking soo long to release it though, I though it was due next spring-summer as a 04 model
Old 10-22-02, 04:09 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just hope they make it look MEANER, not bubblier like the ES300...if it looks anything like the silver mockup that's been floating around (supposidly, it's not too far from the current truth), I'll definitely be skipping that car. I'd rather buy a E500 over that ugly POS for a midsize luxury car...
Old 10-22-02, 04:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well the new gs430 (or gs500 whatever) should target the m5 league. lexus already has the is300 (and the upcoming is43) that will compete with the m3, so it only makes sense for the high end gs to compete with m5, e55, and the rs6. it's not going to be easy but i think lexus can do it if they want.
Old 10-22-02, 08:26 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also confirmed this information with my lexus dealership. The new GS will be coming out in the fall of 2004 as a 05 model. That means we GS owners will have another year before the new model comes out. The new bmw 5 series is the main competitor here. There are some pictures of it out already and it looks pretty good IMO. They are putting some serious HP into the car from what I hear. If i were Lexus, I would delay the GS as well. The economy is bad and luxury purchases will be down. They get to see in advance what cards BMW is holding and be able to counter with a better and more potent GS.
2004 will be all about the new RX. Does anyone have a spy shot of the new RX?
Old 10-22-02, 12:24 PM
aldo23
Pole Position

Thats funny u say that, "About letting lexus lay back and wait for the competitors to come out"...B/c I do recall a few yrs back the MB s430 and 500 were out and it was a car everyone wanted. As for BMW they were in the verge of releasing the 7-series, but decided to go back to the drawing board. They made a few adjustments and finally released that monster of a car. Now if the numbers are correct the 7-series is destroying the s500 in sales. Now as for Lexus, regardless what comes out it's going to sell. The majority of us believe the ES is hideous, but we all must agree that we're seeing more and more on the streets. So whatever GS comes out, I gurantee it will sell. B/c I for one will buy it, and I for one do not think that "so-called spy pic" is ugly...
We are buying quality, not exterior...
Old 10-22-02, 01:25 PM
geebee
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DrewGS4
[B]I also confirmed this information with my lexus dealership. The new GS will be coming out in the fall of 2004 as a 05 model. That means we GS owners will have another year before the new model comes out.

Fall of 2004 is TWO years away.

GB
Old 10-22-02, 02:04 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

The only problem with the idea that the GS will sell based on however it looks is that the GS is in a different class than the ES and the LS. ES and LS buyers are older, a little more interested in quality and comfort over groundbreaking style and earthshattering performance. Then there are 20 year olds like me that are just freaks GS, E Class and 5 series buyers are 30ish, vital, and they want their car to LOOK the park just as much as they want it to play the part. How Lexus styles the GS will be an intergal part of whether it sees success or not. Like I said to the RXers about the new RX300 (those of you who haven't been over there, they're freaking out) give Lexus the benefit of the doubt until we actually see a spy shot.

Oh and personally, I like the way the new ES is styled (obviously), and it is the best selling luxury car in America now. I did find out yesterday that I could do a GS300 for almost the same lease payment though, so I am tempted. I'm gonna go drive them both again before I order.
Old 10-22-02, 07:52 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Well I am gald and sad to hear that. I mean I am gald because I just got a 2002 GS and I was scared it was going to change and I didn't want that and I am sad because I did want to see a GS you know. I will tell you this the people who own the 98 GS are mad lucky they got to keep there car for almost 5 years without any changes. I should have never traded in my 2000 GS. I just hope they don't turn iy into that photoshop picture thats floating around everywhere. That would be horriable. Then I would defently keep this GS forever.
Old 10-22-02, 08:31 PM
GXS
Driver School Candidate

I have no idea why Lexus would do such a thing. The GS sales aren't doing well and it's still 2 years away? It's time for a new one!!! Maybe they really messed up something this time that they had to completely redesign the car(DESIGN)?
Old 10-22-02, 09:11 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

[i]Originally posted by SW03ES I did find out yesterday that I could do a GS300 for almost the same lease payment though, so I am tempted. I'm gonna go drive them both again before I order. [/B]

No comparison get the GS. Take in consideration modding also. If you want to mod get GS. If you plan to buy latter and maybe sell it even latter get GS (resale) The new ES is a nice car I even went to my Lexus dealer to drive one, but I believe the new ES is a woman's car something your wife would drive. (no-offensive) New ES drivers I just think it looks soft to be a man's car.

Quick Reply: 2004,2005 GS info