GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sewell/Carson ProblemsSB/ADUS decision.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 10:04 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sewell/Carson ProblemsSB/ADUS decision.

Hi All
I am about to install the Caster/Trailing Arm bushing on my 01 GS300. I am just wondering if you folk(s) whose ever already installed it on to their car is/are happy with the decision. I am not planning to drop the car. I came across some threads that folks are not happy with the PolyHoly bushing and wishing they should have went with the O.E.M. FIGS Engineering is working on the spherical caster/trailimg are and will release it to the market in the near future. Should I wait for FIGS's. The part I ordered is $68 and the installation is $150-$200. I am pondering and can't decide. Still in time frame for RMA tho.
Many many thanks for the input and suggestions. I really hate and love this Lemon on Wheels.

Last edited by GS714; 02-10-12 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-12, 09:00 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm at the same point. I bought the Sewell PSB bushings and took them to the shop I deal with. Not knowing how labour-intensive this job is, they said they couldn't do it. So, I bought new OEM arms and had those put in. It made a slight difference in how the car tracks, and with the new struts, LBJs and upper arms, I now have a baseline to start from. Me, I'm going to wait and see what Figs comes up with. At least I have the option to have a set of OEM and a set of modified arms.
Old 02-11-12, 09:20 AM
GS714
Pole Position

Default Did you read the DIYs

It is not that difficult. You need the tools thought. Here is what I been reading and Quote and UnQuote

"The tip to do this job is cut out the rubber with a saws all. Then use a stiff wire brush on a drill to get all the rest of it off the outer sleeve. Then use the wire brush on the inner sleeve to get the rest of the rubber off. Use lots of grease when putting in the inner sleeve into the bushing, and also on the bushing into the outer sleeve/control arm. It is possible to do it all in the garage with a large vice. " from dungut

"ive done a few of those where i had to reuse the outer shell. let me walk u through the different ways ive done it. 1st time i removed the complete bushings as the daizen diy states and mangled the bushings shell. ended up getting a used arm for 25 at pick a part. second time around i cut out the rubber while the outer sleeve is still in the arm. after cutting the rubber out, used a cylinder type wire brush on an angle grinder to cut away on the remaining rubber. then used a press to installed the carson bushing into the shell (while shell is still in arm). i have tried several different ways to keep the outer shell in tact after removing but i have found that leaving the shell in the arm and then wire brushing the rubber away is the easiest and most efficient way to do the job. ive done several now and the job is pretty simple when doing it that way." from bADBOySC4

I dont have any tools and installing these modified arms on the jack can be a real PITA. I think it is much easier on the lift.
Old 02-11-12, 10:30 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

I went with Sewell and I am very pleased.I burned out my old bushings and bought a small press from harbor freight to press them in. You def need a large wrench to twist the control arm to line up so you can get the bolt in. I had issues with this part because my wrench was not big enough and the bolts kept wanting to cross thread.

Unfortunately my car is down again due to the wheel bearings going bad. I am close to 2500 bucks just in fixing my front suspension in the past 4 months and I am still fixing crap. I do regret buying lowering springs and struts should of just gone with some EZ coilovers
Old 02-11-12, 11:32 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 850Lexus
I went with Sewell and I am very pleased.I burned out my old bushings and bought a small press from harbor freight to press them in. You def need a large wrench to twist the control arm to line up so you can get the bolt in. I had issues with this part because my wrench was not big enough and the bolts kept wanting to cross thread.

Unfortunately my car is down again due to the wheel bearings going bad. I am close to 2500 bucks just in fixing my front suspension in the past 4 months and I am still fixing crap. I do regret buying lowering springs and struts should of just gone with some EZ coilovers
I even had trouble lining up a Caster Arm with the Stock Bushing which has a bit more flex. I ended up using a jack to get it into position.
Old 02-11-12, 11:35 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl...xus_gs400.html

"Contributing to the stable, accurate handling are the optional ($215) 8 x 17 alloys fitted with Bridgestone Potenza 235/45ZR tires. Although the tires are rated for speeds beyond 149 mph, the car is electronically governed to 149, even though it has a theoretical top speed of about 180 with a drag coefficient of a lowly .29 (down from .31)."