GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*****UPDATE on engine ticking******

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 02:54 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Harty
Good to hear its running like it should now!
I thought it was a beast before I got all that done, wow, hats off to the gs and the owners who take care of em!
Old 02-18-12, 10:36 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

So I'm guessing both heads got taken to the machine shop?
Was it exhaust valves? Were the buckets damaged?
Do you have a probable cause?

More info please, your story is uncommon for that mileage...
Thanks
Old 02-18-12, 10:40 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
So I'm guessing both heads got taken to the machine shop?
Was it exhaust valves? Were the buckets damaged?
Do you have a probable cause?

More info please, your story is uncommon for that mileage...
Thanks
If you haven't read his prior story... It was about his engine making ticking noise and loss of power/fuel economy. He decided to take it to the Lexus dealer to get the valves adjusted. The dealer found out 2 of his lifters were no bueno. After replacings those and valve adjustments his car became the "beast".
Old 02-18-12, 11:39 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
If you haven't read his prior story... It was about his engine making ticking noise and loss of power/fuel economy. He decided to take it to the Lexus dealer to get the valves adjusted. The dealer found out 2 of his lifters were no bueno. After replacings those and valve adjustments his car became the "beast".
Lol
Old 02-19-12, 06:07 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
If they are bad, it should throw an CEL on. To check the injectors, you would need a scope to watch the wave form. And you can check their resistance and they should all be close to each other with the rest.
CEL with what code?
Old 02-19-12, 08:41 AM
FrankT
Instructor

I did read his story, maybe Jawnpawn thinks it's funny.

In twenty years of working on Toyotas I have never seen a UZ with burnt up valves, I just wanted to know the reason, my guess is that it was oil starved, if that is the case you may have a motor that has lost its longevity.

That's cool if Jawnpawn wants to pass on my inquiry, I did not believe it to be too technical.
...better you than me.
Lol
Old 02-19-12, 04:59 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Guy, guys, guys...didn't he mention rings were replaced? Are these the piston rings? If so, NO WONDER why he gained power because his compression is restored close to new engine condition! Worn rings = loss of compression = loss of power and bad gas mileage. I am sure the other items helped that he got done but the real power gain (or restore) came from replacing the rings. Of course dropping 1500 - 2000 on engine restoration/repair will restore lost power. Any one of us can do this.
Old 02-19-12, 05:02 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually, this thread made me think maybe i'll get a compression test done on the cylinders in the Spring. I'd like to have her 100% prior to the SC install.
The following users liked this post:
Tammy4473 (05-15-23)
Old 02-19-12, 10:21 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

In twenty years of working on Toyotas I have never seen a UZ with burnt up valves, I just wanted to know the reason, my guess is that it was oil starved, if that is the case you may have a motor that has lost its longevity.

That's cool if Jawnpawn wants to pass on my inquiry, I did not believe it to be too technical.
...better you than me.
Lol
Better me than you? WOW that's how it is on here? And what's funny? I bought my car with a tick, the previous owner told me its always done that, I'm sure he was lying, maybe he bought it like that off someone else,don't care, it's taken care of, the mechanic at Lexus told me whoever had this car took care if it, and the inside was extremely clean with oil changes consistently, I asked him now that he replaced my seals,rings,timing belt, these little washers?(he showed me when he took me in the back to see the damaged parts.)shims,2 new lifters, and all my valves are adjusted, if there was anything in that engine that looked old, worn, or to be a problem any time soon, he said absolutely not, everything looks great now and I will be good for many many years...
Car runs amazing and looks amazing, ... Sounds like you may potentially have this problem or are coming up on it, seeing as your so anxious to get a reply, wish u luck with yours....

Last edited by DosyBoy; 02-19-12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-19-12, 10:23 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Guy, guys, guys...didn't he mention rings were replaced? Are these the piston rings? If so, NO WONDER why he gained power because his compression is restored close to new engine condition! Worn rings = loss of compression = loss of power and bad gas mileage. I am sure the other items helped that he got done but the real power gain (or restore) came from replacing the rings. Of course dropping 1500 - 2000 on engine restoration/repair will restore lost power. Any one of us can do this.
Thank u, yes they were replaced, my engine is now in a+ condition, not to mention my engines sub assembly was replaced with a brand new one 3 years ago, previous owner slid under a truck, same Lexus dealership did a $4,000 overhaul on the engine, I have paperwork, do with that all done and with what I had just done to it, it's pretty much a new engine..

Last edited by DosyBoy; 02-19-12 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tammy4473 (05-15-23)
Old 02-19-12, 10:24 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

...better you than me.
Lol
When did I say my valves were burnt up?
Old 02-19-12, 10:28 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=Rock-a-Lex;7029247]Actually, this thread made me think maybe i'll get a compression test done on the cylinders in the Spring. I'd like to have her 100% prior to the

Can't hurt

Last edited by DosyBoy; 02-19-12 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 09:29 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Jawnpawn, the thing that sticks out to me in your story is, you say lifters were replaced. Well the UZ motor has no lifters. Cam lobes ride on buckets and shims that are in direct contact with the valve stem.

Also you said that two valves were replaced, Without removing the head(s) valves would be impossible to replace...Or did they remove the heads?

My motor is fine with 210,000 miles and compression between 175psi and 181psi in all cylinders.
I love Toyota quality...
Old 02-20-12, 10:32 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, my engine has had a tick since I bought it with 47k miles. Seemed normal. Been running fine for 4yrs/40k miles for me.
Old 02-20-12, 03:59 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Jawnpawn, the thing that sticks out to me in your story is, you say lifters were replaced. Well the UZ motor has no lifters. Cam lobes ride on buckets and shims that are in direct contact with the valve stem.

Also you said that two valves were replaced, Without removing the head(s) valves would be impossible to replace...Or did they remove the heads?

My motor is fine with 210,000 miles and compression between 175psi and 181psi in all cylinders.
I love Toyota quality...
My receipt says 2 lifter valves replaced...

Quick Reply: *****UPDATE on engine ticking******