GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*****UPDATE on engine ticking******

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 02:21 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default *****UPDATE on engine ticking******

So I took the car to Lexus a few days ago, started it up in front of the mechanic and let him hear under the hood, he said yep, u need a valve adjustment, and it will rid your tick, I said ok let's do it and get it done.. I mentioned to him I'm only getting a horrific 12 miles to a gallon also.. So , he got to the engine and the valves yesterday, I gotta call about 4 hours later from the service manager telling me I also have 2 BAD injecters.. That describes my horrible gas mileage, he told me whoever owned this car before me definetly took care of it because my engine is as clean as an engine can get, no sludge or anything. To have my 2 injecters replaced, valves adjusted, my car will have absolutely no tick or noise and run like a champion, it will cost $1550, I told them to get it done and fix it, because I plan on keeping this car for many more years, hell, it only has 120k on it.. It would only get progressively worse over time, and I figured well, if I have the money now, I mells well get my baby fixed, so hopefully tomorrow I pick her up... I figured it was wise to get this done now, so I have absolutely no worries about my car and everything maintenance wise will finally be done and I will have peace of mind, to save my car for $1500 and to get it running like new, I figured it's kind of a blessing..... Btw I gotta 2012 is250 awd for a loaner, those of you maybe wondering about this car, the injecters are pretty loud on this car.. Any questions I'll be glad to answer! Peace!

Last edited by DosyBoy; 02-15-12 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 03:05 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im glad to hear youve had a great experience. I think its definitely worth making the investment on these cars because not only do they last you a long time but they retain their resale value pretty good. I was always a skeptic about the ticking myself. Ive heard things from needing a valve adjustment to oil pump going bad to bad catalytic converter.
Old 02-15-12, 03:17 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VIP161
Im glad to hear youve had a great experience. I think its definitely worth making the investment on these cars because not only do they last you a long time but they retain their resale value pretty good. I was always a skeptic about the ticking myself. Ive heard things from needing a valve adjustment to oil pump going bad to bad catalytic converter.
I know it's a known factor I guess for these engines, but if anyone has "extra" money I suggest anyone with a tick get it checked out, rohrich Lexus of Pittsburgh has been great to me, these are fantastic cars, let's not let them die out... I prefer my 98 gs over this 2012 is 250 ANY day of the week, they just don't make em like this anymore!.!.!!
Old 02-15-12, 03:19 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Glad everything is turning out to be smooth. Be sure to post a video for us! I'll believe it when I see it!
Old 02-15-12, 03:26 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Glad everything is turning out to be smooth. Be sure to post a video for us! I'll believe it when I see it!
Absolutely!
Old 02-15-12, 03:49 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great to here you got it solved
Old 02-15-12, 04:29 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexiBlue
great to here you got it solved
Thank you it's a big relief..
Old 02-15-12, 04:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Lol, my injectors could ne trashed too. My gas mileage is a whopping 14mpg. But i'm not gonna replace them bc I have 8 brand new 440cc injectors ready to be installed when my SC kit goes in.
Old 02-15-12, 04:42 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Lol, my injectors could ne trashed too. My gas mileage is a whopping 14mpg. But i'm not gonna replace them bc I have 8 brand new 440cc injectors ready to be installed when my SC kit goes in.
Yea you prob got what I got.... ^^^^^ nice!
Old 02-15-12, 05:14 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

so... question is how did the injectors go bad?

Was fuel choice or using old gas an issue?

Would using fuel injector cleaner additive periodically have prevented the problem?
Old 02-15-12, 05:27 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raytseng

Would using fuel injector cleaner additive periodically have prevented the problem?
Previous owner said he put the best gas you can buy in it, as far as a cleaner once in a while I will ask them tomorrow and let you know, I'll also let u kn ow how it could have gone bad, maybe it was just that time idk, it is a 98 and it was sitting for a while from what I understand, in a garage every winter, idk if he ran it or started it during those months or what?
Old 02-15-12, 05:34 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Oh yea and when he said u can tell someone took care of it and changed the oil EVERY 3k miles, like I do WITH SYNTHETIC I knew it was true because I was told these engines get very heavy sludge if not done EVERY 3k miles, do not wait even with synthetic from 5-7k miles to change your oil, be safe and do it every 3k guys... Just saying

Last edited by DosyBoy; 02-15-12 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 08:32 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng

If they are bad, it should throw an CEL on. To check the injectors, you would need a scope to watch the wave form. And you can check their resistance and they should all be close to each other with the rest.
Old 02-15-12, 08:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by JAWNPAWN
Oh yea and when he said u can tell someone took care of it and changed the oil EVERY 3k miles, like I do WITH SYNTHETIC I knew it was true because I was told these engines get very heavy sludge if not done EVERY 3k miles, do not wait even with synthetic from 5-7k miles to change your oil, be safe and do it every 3k guys... Just saying
These engines are known to run damn clean. I change my oil once a year at maybe 7k intervals using synthetic oil. Last time I pulled the valve cover off (last month), there was absolutely no sludge. Rarely do you hear sludge problems on these engines. The 1MZ-FE engines on the other hand...
Old 02-15-12, 09:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

The cars with sludge problems are actually the 3.0L V6 engines.... Such as the ES300, RX300, etc...

Quick Reply: *****UPDATE on engine ticking******