GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS 400 vs. 540 Auto-What's faster, specs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 11:17 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can change your suspension to outhandle the 540. You can also get a more agressive Torque Convertor. Make these changes and you will never think the 540 is in the same league.
STOCK VS STOCK bmw will outhandle the GS. There is a huge difference between a GS stock suspension and aftermarket suspension. Get the TRD sways and your car becomes entirely different. I was always hesitant replacing OEM parts with aftermarket ones. This is by far the best decision I made and now everyday I crave to drive my newly tuned GS vs when it was stock.
I think a lot of people neglect the suspension upgrade. Slapping on 17'' or 18'' wheels is okay but the true difference is felt when the changes are made in upgrading the shocks/spring and you must get the front and rear sways. then if you still have extra money get the STB, LCB and PI TC.
I have all these upgrades minus the TC and I was seriously able to hang with a new C5 corvette zooming in and out of traffic with almost no body roll. I actually thing my car is safer now than when it was stock.
Old 10-24-02, 04:58 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by DrewGS4
You can change your suspension to outhandle the 540. You can also get a more agressive Torque Convertor. Make these changes and you will never think the 540 is in the same league.
STOCK VS STOCK bmw will outhandle the GS. There is a huge difference between a GS stock suspension and aftermarket suspension. Get the TRD sways and your car becomes entirely different. I was always hesitant replacing OEM parts with aftermarket ones. This is by far the best decision I made and now everyday I crave to drive my newly tuned GS vs when it was stock.
I think a lot of people neglect the suspension upgrade. Slapping on 17'' or 18'' wheels is okay but the true difference is felt when the changes are made in upgrading the shocks/spring and you must get the front and rear sways. then if you still have extra money get the STB, LCB and PI TC.
I have all these upgrades minus the TC and I was seriously able to hang with a new C5 corvette zooming in and out of traffic with almost no body roll. I actually thing my car is safer now than when it was stock.
Drew you are correct. but after wheels, suspension, TC and other mods you need to do you are darn close to the price of the 540.

Suspension is the weakest link on the GS.
Toyota did not do it's homework on this aspect.
Event with all my suspension mods. My friends M5 feels so much more accurate vs loose and sloppy. My other friends have the 540 and these cars just have a solid suspension that is designed for the car. It give the driver confidence.

When I was bringing my GS home the first day I was like "what was i thinking buying this thing" "I baught a f--King Caddilac!"
After springs, shocks, and wheels it is now livable. I enjoy my car very very much. I just don't enjoy dealing with alignment every 5000 miles to keep the tow and camber in line.
Old 10-24-02, 07:28 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, but the m5 is tuned from the factory to be a superior handeling car. The GS was made to be a awesome touring car with the 400 just adding raw power. You are right, they did not match and upgrade the suspension to match the powerplant. But with the right combination of aftermarkets parts I still think we can all outhandle the 540 and come close to matching the M5. It's ride is obviously not as fluid or refined as a bmw, but remember that BMW tunes there cars from the factory. We in a sense our tuning our own cars. With this said, BMW makes cars that are fun to drive, and Lexus makes cars that are reliable, quiet and just plain beautiful. I think lexus is slowly getting on the right track with the launch of the IS300. They are getting into BMW territory, but I never believe they will fully go there. Lexus prides itself in its quality and comfort of their cars. For the small percentage of people who want to increase the "Lexus fun factor"
is why we have TRD & TOM's. These 2 companies are derived from TOYOTA. I think they are aware of the need for "fun speed", hence their new product launch in america aka "SCION"
Old 10-25-02, 10:37 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by gs4to4
I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only by a hair, but its good to know that the GS 400 is the king!Now for the ugly: The 540 is really an awesome car, (more on this later)
Try to race him starting at 95mph and go all the way to 149. You will beat him some more.
Old 10-25-02, 12:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

don't forget the 5 series is being totally revised...thus the outdated interiors in the current cars.

I think the new 5 will be out before the new GS

by the way, if I have to mod the suspension becuz its too mushy, I won't buy the car !!

Last edited by bagwell; 10-25-02 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-26-02, 12:41 AM
gs4to4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the new GS comes out ,(is it more like 1.5 years or 2.5?)
it will once again, set the standards and others will follow.
In fact, even though the GS has been around and almost unchanged for 6 years now, I still cannot think of a better car for the $$$. New or used.
Old 10-26-02, 01:54 AM
blkgs4wnav
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stand bmw
The inside of the car doesn't just look cheap it is cheap.
My 7 always has something wrong with it and when i fix something, another part breaks its a never ending thing.