GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2000 GS 400 - wierd electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 04:47 PM
jpowell46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 GS 400 - wierd electrical problem

I left the ignition on in accessory mode overnight and totally drained the battery. When I tried to jumpstart it off of my Tundra truck, the horn on my Lexus blared non-stop until I disconnected the jumper cables. Following this, I trickle-charged the battery, and re-installed it the next morning. Now comes the wierd part... I could start the car, but it would only idle; no throttle control. None of the cabin lights or electronic gauges or indicators came on. Total black-out. When I tried to turn on the headlights, they flashed on and instantly went out. I found two of the blade fuses blown (#35 electronic throtlle control system and #41 audio). I replaced these fuses and it had no effect. I would like to have some idea of what my problem might be before I take the car to the dealership. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-24-12, 06:32 PM
csnelson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jpowell46
I left the ignition on in accessory mode overnight and totally drained the battery. When I tried to jumpstart it off of my Tundra truck, the horn on my Lexus blared non-stop until I disconnected the jumper cables. Following this, I trickle-charged the battery, and re-installed it the next morning. Now comes the wierd part... I could start the car, but it would only idle; no throttle control. None of the cabin lights or electronic gauges or indicators came on. Total black-out. When I tried to turn on the headlights, they flashed on and instantly went out. I found two of the blade fuses blown (#35 electronic throtlle control system and #41 audio). I replaced these fuses and it had no effect. I would like to have some idea of what my problem might be before I take the car to the dealership. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Just so you don't feel alone here...ha ha. I will try to think of some things to ask you and have you check. To start, are you ok with using a V.O.M?
Old 02-24-12, 06:43 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Change the fuses and the battery, and u should be good to go, yes your horn will go off when u jump it, keep your key fob on you when u jump it and just hit the button to stop it from going off..
Old 02-24-12, 07:00 PM
csnelson
Driver School Candidate

Ok go with me here a little bit. I am assuming the battery discharged slowly through the night. This may have caused a security anomoly because it is possible to disable vehicles security through doing things like drilling holes through the battery and waiting until the battery has discharged. Thieves know about this method of stealing cars. Security mode may (I say may) be an issue.

I'm curious as to why those two fuses were open. Did you ohm meter all your fuses to find that or take them all out? If you took them out double check if there in the right spots again.

I'm assuming the battery is installed and hooked up for the next two steps. With the engine off, check the voltage of your battery. Put the volt meter on DC volts. Put the red (positive) of the voltmeter to the plus (positve) of battery and black to negative of battery. Write down the reading and put it up here.

If you can run the engine, do that, and take the same reading on the battery as previous step and record on here.

I will keep trying to think of more for you.
Old 02-24-12, 07:40 PM
csnelson
Driver School Candidate

Also, we may need to do a diagnosis of your multiplex communication system if it comes to that.

Last edited by csnelson; 02-24-12 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 08:45 PM
1GSLuVeR
Rookie

Originally Posted by JAWNPAWN
Change the fuses and the battery, and u should be good to go, yes your horn will go off when u jump it, keep your key fob on you when u jump it and just hit the button to stop it from going off..
+1 start here and keep it simple for the moment before you go into the complex stuff. One step at a time..
Old 02-25-12, 05:54 AM
jpowell46
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I will try this first.
Old 02-25-12, 05:57 AM
jpowell46
Driver School Candidate

I am going to replace the battery and if I have no luck with that I will proceed with your suggestions. I thank you for your advice.
Old 02-25-12, 07:11 AM
csnelson
Driver School Candidate

I am going to replace the battery and if I have no luck with that I will proceed with your suggestions. I thank you for your advice.
A good thing to do if you are able would be to read the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) through the on-board diagnostics. This may reveal what systems are powered or not. This is a very good first step in trouble shooting. I hate to see you spend money right away throwing parts at it. Also, changing all the fuses was suggested..really? Maybe I missed something.
Old 02-25-12, 12:20 PM
jpowell46
Driver School Candidate

I replaced the battery after it tested bad. After replacement, car started, and it responded to the throttle, but the exhaust was very smokey. Still no cabin lights or dash panel lights. Nothing electronic works, and the car won't shift out of park. I don't have the equipment to read the Diagnostic Trouble Codes. What do you suggest as my next move? i appreciate your help.
Old 02-25-12, 12:47 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced the battery after it tested bad. After replacement, car started, and it responded to the throttle, but the exhaust was very smokey. Still no cabin lights or dash panel lights. Nothing electronic works, and the car won't shift out of park. I don't have the equipment to read the Diagnostic Trouble Codes. What do you suggest as my next move? i appreciate your help.
Sounds like you have the same problems I had, I replaced my battery and it fixed my problem, as for the problem with the shifter I still have it , but I stuck a little piece of plastic in my override and wedged it down there and haven't looked back, that was 4 months ago, did u try resetting the cars Computer with the new battery? Take off your negative terminal for a half hour, then put it back on, give the car a couple minutes to reset, make sure your terminals are CLEAN and TIGHT then proceed and start the car, don't touch anything for a minute while sitting in there, lemme know what happens..

Last edited by DosyBoy; 02-25-12 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-26-12, 06:20 AM
jpowell46
Driver School Candidate

I will try that. Thanks.
Old 02-26-12, 01:02 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check your fusible links?
Old 02-26-12, 01:13 PM
kdick91
Driver

I don't mean to step on any toes, but I'd highly advise against using the override. Since I own a Trans Am, I am the champ of cheap, ghetto fixes, but that just irks me.

I'd advise going over EVERY fuse and trying to figure out what ties all these non-working components together. I'm not sure about this particular model, but I know having a separate BCM (body control module) is often used to control all the interior features as well as some other items (such as fuel pump, brake safety switch, and transponder). If your Lexus has a BCM or similar module, see if a Lexus dealership can check the functionality of it. If you do have one, I'd bet that's your issue. I know jumping can sometimes fry sensitive electronics. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Kyle
Old 02-26-12, 01:16 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have bcms for sale in the classifieds

Quick Reply: 2000 GS 400 - wierd electrical problem