GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

had mt rear fenders rolled today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 07:30 AM
TigerBrand
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, is that really all there is to it? literally cut and smooth? thanks for the pics
Old 02-21-13, 07:32 AM
Redline26
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acer9103
how Do You Pull The Rear? Is Pulling The Same As Rolling The Rear?
After You Shave The Rear What Do You Use To Protect/Cover The Bare Metal?

You usually roll before doing any sort of pulling, the double sheeted metal for the rear fenders do not make it easy to pull., so that's why shaving is recommended. to protect the bare metal you can use some primer or touch up paint to help prevent rusting,

OP as soon as I saw the title of ur thread I knew it was gonna be bad news, had first hand experience lol
Old 02-21-13, 08:03 AM
Acer
Lead Lap

Reason I ask is because will a 245 or 255 work with a 11" wide wheel? I think a 255 will require a pull and shave and a 245 only a shave
Old 02-21-13, 08:03 AM
TigerBrand
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^double sheeted metal. Does it split after you cut/shave?
Old 02-21-13, 08:17 AM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

mine didnt split. but it might start burning some good smoke on you as you cut as the spray liner in it is kinda thick
Old 02-21-13, 10:11 AM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been in your situation before. If the shop told you they could get it perfect then they should fix it no charge. I had the shop tell me they could roll it with no issues and I got 2 dimples in each quarter panel the exact same spot. I was told it was gonna cost $600 to have them sanded, filled and repainted. With enough bi*ching I convinced them to split it down the middle at $300 just to cover material costs, which seemed fair to me.

But for the short answer, NO you cannot correct the dimples with more pulling. It will pretty much never be even again without body filler. So you will absolutely need to repaint your quarter panels.

Also if you plan to shave your fenders, make sure you know what you're doing or bring it to someone who does. The rear quarter panels are double walled and welded together. Once you cut the edge off, the weld seal is broken. After you have it pulled to where you want it you have to re weld it and seal it back to prevent it from rust. So unfortunately there's no easy way out of this.
Old 02-21-13, 11:59 AM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ok here is my obious reason why you have dimples if you just wanted a fender roll the person who did it for you should have rolled only enough to bend the lip he actually put more presure therefore leaving imprint on outer part of fender (dimple) ive done a couple of gs and i have encountered this problem but i learned also to whom ever it helps there are other ways to help not get dimples

#1 easiest is to leave the lil white plastic squares in while u roll this will help as a support where dimple appear

#2 take the plastic squares off fill these empty holes with weld but be carefull u might burn the paint
it would be best to tack it wait a minute then tack some more repeat as needed tat way you keep the metal from heating up to much and bur ur paint hope this helps
Old 02-21-13, 12:59 PM
themccoy14
Driver

I rolled my rears and got the dimples. Plan on carefully trimming the rolled edge and rolling/pulling again. I need a slight pull to fit my wheels and I'm hoping that this approach will help the dimples too...
Old 02-21-13, 01:20 PM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

it might help but just a lil advice grab a magnet like one of those thin card looiking ones and run it along the edge of the fender tats to make sure u have no bondo cause if u do its gonna crack when u pull
Old 02-21-13, 01:42 PM
timtim14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is it safe to say that if you just roll the lip back instead of pulling the fender as well the chance of creating dimples is much smaller? Im just scared of shaving the fender only because of the rust issue. With my experience with rust on any car is that all it takes is a little bit of metal exposed and then your screwed because it spreads like wild fire.
Old 02-22-13, 08:07 AM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

If ur wheels dont require u to pull the just roll ur fender lip with roller but just take it light n easy tat way u know when when ur lip.is as close as it gets without dimpleing
Old 02-22-13, 05:22 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking my car in next Saturday to have new wheels put on In Turn I am gonna get the front fenders rolled and see if they can do anything for the rear dimples... Lol never rolled the front after I seen the dimples on the rear.... Ill let you guys know if they have any solutions to this dimple problem....
Old 02-22-13, 05:25 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

The fronts won't leave dimples from what I've read.
Old 02-22-13, 07:56 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acer9103
The fronts won't leave dimples from what I've read.
yeah i know but i was so disgusted afterwards that i pulled the car right out of the shop
Old 02-22-13, 08:02 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The only reason why it dimples, is because of dirt, or the plastic things that hold the screws.

My rear, i just shaved it flat, it separated the walls, then spray it with clear coat. Should be fine, i have no problem with my split walls.

Quick Reply: had mt rear fenders rolled today...