GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

trade in ES for GS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 03:07 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no comparison - in my opinion. I just purchased a 99 GS400 and I couldn't imagine driving any other. The ride and power is unreal. DO IT - you won't be disappointed!

PS - The whole body/look blows the ES away (sorry to say)

DO IT!!!
Old 10-25-02, 06:03 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually disagree about the styling, but I like the ES styling so that definately makes me in the minority on here LOL.
Old 10-25-02, 06:06 PM
LexFather

I like the ES styling also, I like all of the generations.

Old 10-25-02, 08:11 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I definitely like the ES styling, in a "oh, that's a nice looking car" sort of way. But with the GS it's more like "DAMN that's a fine looking piece of engineering!"
Old 10-26-02, 04:22 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

The GS definately looks like a more solid machine, I will give you that.
Old 10-26-02, 02:00 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Get the GS, put some bags of sand in the trunk and buy a dedicated set of 4 16" winter tires. It will go as well as front wheel drive in this configuration.

Remember the ES has humble beginnings sharing the chassis with the $20k Camry.

The GS was designed from the start as a $40k car. You really can feel the diffence, I get bummed when they give me an ES loaner at the dealer.

Old 10-26-02, 03:29 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I disagree, I think the ES and the GS feel just as solid, the GS looks like a heavier more solid car. In fact, the ES gets better ride, quietness and solidity ratings than the GS does.

I think it just bothers you that 25% of the components are shared with the Camry.
Old 10-26-02, 06:32 PM
kjhouston
Rookie

Talking

I too had an 97 ES but after several test drives in other sporty cars, none compared to the GS430. After I have driven it for a year now, I would never go back to an ES. I still have a grin on my face every time I talk to people about how fun it is to drive my car. It truly is a joy. When I take my car in for its maintenance, driving an ES is nice but it just isn't the same.

My advice is to just go for it. You only get to go through life once. If you have the means now, don't hesitate. I'm sure that all of the other GS guys and gals would agree.

GO FOR IT
Old 10-27-02, 12:59 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Is the GS REALLY that much better than an ES? (build quality, solid feel)?
Old 10-27-02, 02:33 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by XenonES3
Is the GS REALLY that much better than an ES? (build quality, solid feel)?

Uhhhhh....YEAH! (You get what you pay for!)
Old 10-27-02, 03:10 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

I disagree, I thought the build quality was about the same. Gotta keep in mind the GS3 is only $5,000 more than the ES fully loaded.
Old 10-27-02, 03:21 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

There are a host of technologies / benefits that aren't included on the lower ES model:

1. Durability of 2JZ inline 6. The V-6 in the ES is does not hold up as well in the long haul... Don't get me wrong, they are both durable, but, a quick look in the service department will reveal some V-6 engines pulled for various reasons, mostly for RINGS (ouch!). but for some reason you never see a 2Jz or V-8 pulled.... Just ask the service guys on this. The inline 6 in the GS is virtually indestructable, followed by the reliability of the early V-8.

2. I know this is a bit old-fashioned, but the inline 6 will always be a superior powerplant in terms of durability, NVH, etc to a V-6.

3. A/C compressor on SC LS and GS is a non-cycling variable displacement type, far more expensive, doesn't cylce on and off like the lesser model in the ES and RX. When I drive an ES I can always feel the compressor cycling on and off---annoying in a $35k car.

4. As mentioned telescoping-power tilt memory wheel.

5. The statement that the ES has a superior ride is strictly objective, like saying your wife/girlfriend's looks are superior to another's. If Marshmellow is what you consider to be a good ride, than so be it, that is your opinion. I'm sure that most GS and ES owners would consider the GS more stable, solid, and confidence inspiring. The ES was designed with a twinkie suspension and as such is aimed at potential Buick and Cadillac owners. In fact the GS suspension is QUITE SOFT. If you heard alot more road noise, I'm sure its just the brand/type of tire used. The ES tires can't be considered to be anything more than squishy blobs that protect the rims.

6. As far as acceleration is concerned, the ES is not quite the equal of the GS at low speeds, and at high speeds, the ES is nowhere near as quick in passing situations, 60+.

7. Braking ability of the ES's smaller brakes can't keep up with the GS. Performance oriented tires on a GS yield eye-popping stopping distances that the BMW 540i can't even match.

8. It would seem to me that you're looking for a poor man's LS400/430. With the durability of Lexus in general, why not just get a certified LS? That way you can have your ultra smooth ride, get V-8 durability, all the toys, and have ample room? The warranty on a certified vehicle is actually longer if not better than the new car warranty.
Old 10-27-02, 03:48 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

1. Durability of 2JZ inline 6. The V-6 in the ES is does not hold up as well in the long haul... Don't get me wrong, they are both durable, but, a quick look in the service department will reveal some V-6 engines pulled for various reasons, mostly for RINGS (ouch!). but for some reason you never see a 2Jz or V-8 pulled.... Just ask the service guys on this. The inline 6 in the GS is virtually indestructable, followed by the reliability of the early V-8.

2. I know this is a bit old-fashioned, but the inline 6 will always be a superior powerplant in terms of durability, NVH, etc to a V-6.
I can't speak to the reliability as I don't have any experience, but I do agree that the I6 is more recognized as a superior engine.

3. A/C compressor on SC LS and GS is a non-cycling variable displacement type, far more expensive, doesn't cylce on and off like the lesser model in the ES and RX. When I drive an ES I can always feel the compressor cycling on and off---annoying in a $35k car.
Didn't really notice it when I drove them during the summer. Of course, I was getting out of an Explorer and when the compressor cycles, the car will jump at idle lol.

4. As mentioned telescoping-power tilt memory wheel.
I do miss this yes.

5. The statement that the ES has a superior ride is strictly objective, like saying your wife/girlfriend's looks are superior to another's. If Marshmellow is what you consider to be a good ride, than so be it, that is your opinion. I'm sure that most GS and ES owners would consider the GS more stable, solid, and confidence inspiring. The ES was designed with a twinkie suspension and as such is aimed at potential Buick and Cadillac owners. In fact the GS suspension is QUITE SOFT. If you heard alot more road noise, I'm sure its just the brand/type of tire used. The ES tires can't be considered to be anything more than squishy blobs that protect the rims.
The tires on both cars were pretty bad. It wasn't just the road noise, I heard more exterior noise also (other engines etc), I simply felt it added to the sporty nature of the car.

8. It would seem to me that you're looking for a poor man's LS400/430. With the durability of Lexus in general, why not just get a certified LS? That way you can have your ultra smooth ride, get V-8 durability, all the toys, and have ample room? The warranty on a certified vehicle is actually longer if not better than the new car warranty.
I looked into this avenue but the lease figures don't work out on the CPO car. I need to lease for the tax writeoff, I own a small business. If I were buying the cars I'd buy the CPO LS. I'm waiting to hear back on a 2000 LS with 23k miles, if he can make the lease numbers work for me then we'll talk. Can't seem to get into though for less than $700.
Old 10-27-02, 07:23 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

There is no question the GS is such a better car then ES or should I say toyota camry. You gotta to be off your rocker if you would pick an ES over a GS. If its a money thing then save up. If your over 60 years of age then maybe. But otherwise you gotta be crazy to pick the Toyota camry over a GS. I mean just look at the two cars. The ES looks are nice but it kinda looks odd. If I were to get an ES I would def go for the G35 infinti. At least that looks nice and is cheaper.
Old 10-27-02, 07:30 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OH no...not another one of these GS versus ES threads...one just got closed down by Ethan....