GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need some advice - new job includes more travel

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-12, 05:24 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcadian
The answer is 2007-8-9 Impala. Dirt cheap, very reliable, amazing highway mileage, anonymous sales dude transport.
I assume this new opportunity means more cash, so drive a real salesman's car for work and keep the GS to remind you why you work so hard.
Absolutely not. I've had countless Impala's as rental cars, I will not be going the Detroit 3 route. I'm a die hard Honda/Toyota fan!
Old 03-02-12, 10:12 AM
Kzem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vasgs4
Absolutely not. I've had countless Impala's as rental cars, I will not be going the Detroit 3 route. I'm a die hard Honda/Toyota fan!
I feel you man, im from Detroit and there aren't too many domestics im proud to say came from here.
Old 03-02-12, 11:42 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kzem
I feel you man, im from Detroit and there aren't too many domestics im proud to say came from here.
I've had two GM's - a 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera (first car) and a 1998 Buick Regal GS (supercharged).

Both cars were far less reliable than some much higher mileage Japanese cars I've owned - one being a 1996 Acura TL that I sold with 263K miles on it.

I like where they're headed but I'm going to trust my own history on this.
Old 03-02-12, 12:09 PM
Busha
Pole Position

Just drive the car bro😳, my GS400 has 334000(KM) & it's running stronger than ever, & my boy has a LS400 and he's around 570000km his daily driver these cars go forever......my boy with the LS at the rate he's going that car will have a million km in no time lol😝 the car is made to drive bro, drive it!
Old 03-02-12, 01:31 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

But it is wrong wheel drive.... Even an Impala SS with a V8, it might run good, but the wrong wheels driven, you will regret it every corner you take.....

The answer is 2007-8-9 Impala. Dirt cheap, very reliable, amazing highway mileage, anonymous sales dude transport.
I assume this new opportunity means more cash, so drive a real salesman's car for work and keep the GS to remind you why you work so hard.
Old 03-02-12, 03:12 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch, hate for the Impala, hahaha!
Was looking at the situation. Most sales jobs with a lot of travel come with a mileage allowance (at least around here they do). So, why not buy/insure/drive/put gas in/ the cheapest to operate thing out there (Camry, Rav4, Accord, whatever). I used to get 45-cents per kilometer, so if I took my compact on a business trip to Calgary I came out ahead. With a GS, not even break even. For me driving the Lexus is the reward I work for, I don't want it to become my office.
Old 03-02-12, 07:30 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

No, I don't mind the looks, but I abhor front wheel drive.

Was looking at the situation. Most sales jobs with a lot of travel come with a mileage allowance (at least around here they do). So, why not buy/insure/drive/put gas in/ the cheapest to operate thing out there (Camry, Rav4, Accord, whatever). I used to get 45-cents per kilometer, so if I took my compact on a business trip to Calgary I came out ahead. With a GS, not even break even. For me driving the Lexus is the reward I work for, I don't want it to become my office.
Old 03-03-12, 04:29 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

My compensation plan is different. I get car allowance and reimbursement for gas. I provide receipts and they pay for it.
Old 03-03-12, 07:10 AM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

If you would like to keep it looking clean I suggest putting a clear bra in the front to prevent all those rock chips
Old 03-03-12, 11:27 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

My compensation plan is different. I get car allowance and reimbursement for gas. I provide receipts and they pay for it.
Well that's good, then there might be enough in it to drive the GS after all.
Old 03-05-12, 05:34 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Took the GS to Chicago this weekend. Definitely going to keep it as my road warrior unless they make me get something more economical. You just can't ignore that smoothness on the hwy.

If it wasn't for the speeding ticket I got Saturday night, it was a nice road trip!
Old 03-06-12, 01:17 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If they are going for so cheap over there how about buying an older 2GS and rack the mileage up on that?
Old 04-05-12, 04:42 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Went on my first work trip this week. Drove Milwaukee-Chicago-Minneapolis-Milwaukee. 930 miles in 32 hours.

First tank was 25.8mpg
Second tank was 26.9mpg -mostly hwy with the cruise set at 71-73.

I am amazed at the gas mileage.
Old 04-05-12, 04:44 AM
vasgs4
Pole Position

Went on my first work trip this week. Drove Milwaukee-Chicago-Minneapolis-Milwaukee. 930 miles in 32 hours.

First tank was 25.8mpg
Second tank was 26.9mpg -mostly hwy with the cruise set at 71-73.

I am amazed at the gas mileage.
Old 04-05-12, 05:43 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Took the GS to Chicago this weekend. Definitely going to keep it as my road warrior unless they make me get something more economical. You just can't ignore that smoothness on the hwy.

If it wasn't for the speeding ticket I got Saturday night, it was a nice road trip!
Yeah, if I drove my GS on business, I'd lose my license in a month!

Quick Reply: Need some advice - new job includes more travel