GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The GS is getting better and better

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 01:35 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The GS is getting better and better

While posting in another thread, it occurred to me that my GS has evolved to almost where I want it.

I’m looking at it from the perspective of overall performance and appearance. I know that a lot of you guys will have different criteria, but (for a change) I’ve got a little time to spare and thought I’d report on my progress in battling the dreaded MOD BUG (I’m losing). I posted a detailed list of my mods and satisfaction level a few months ago so I’m not going into detail here – just a general update.

The car is really performing great (it’ll never be fast enough) but the TC brought acceleration back that I’d lost to intake and wheels and bettered it. Still needs LSD but is capable of hauling serious a$$ now.

It sounds great now – this is important to me – I really like the intake sound since installing the CAB, and the LT exhaust (with resonance drone practically gone) sounds great too. You ought to hear it on the dyno at wot – sounds fantastic!

It handles good – still will add sways to eliminate the remaining lean I’ve got, but handles pretty good now. Ride is a little firm, but an acceptable tradeoff for improved handling.

Looks good – especially the rear – I like it. Side view is nice – front is sore spot. Angel (Carson Toyota) called yesterday and gave me the tracking number for my new TTE grille, so it’s FINALLY on the way. I think the grille will raise my opinion of the front view.

So there it is – I am genuinely enjoying this car now – how do you other CL’ers feel about yours?
Attached Thumbnails The GS is getting better and better-rear-1a.jpg  

Last edited by garnet92; 10-25-02 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 02:13 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Wow beautiful GS
Old 10-25-02, 02:26 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Garnet..

nice white GS
Old 10-25-02, 02:42 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I love your GS man!!!
Old 10-25-02, 02:53 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

garnet, i def know how you feel. i kinda vasilate with my car, as far as the way if feel. sometimes its just another gas-guzzling, dirty car, with scratches on the Greddy lip. then other times, like when shes clean, or getting alot of attention, or ive gone through some twisties and feeling all pumped, i couldnt think of having a better car.
Old 10-25-02, 03:12 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The GS is getting better and better

Originally posted by garnet92
While posting in another thread, it occurred to me that my GS has evolved to almost where I want it.

I’m looking at it from the perspective of overall performance and appearance. I know that a lot of you guys will have different criteria, but (for a change) I’ve got a little time to spare and thought I’d report on my progress in battling the dreaded MOD BUG (I’m losing). I posted a detailed list of my mods and satisfaction level a few months ago so I’m not going into detail here – just a general update.

The car is really performing great (it’ll never be fast enough) but the TC brought acceleration back that I’d lost to intake and wheels and bettered it. Still needs LSD but is capable of hauling serious a$$ now.

It sounds great now – this is important to me – I really like the intake sound since installing the CAB, and the LT exhaust (with resonance drone practically gone) sounds great too. You ought to hear it on the dyno at wot – sounds fantastic!

It handles good – still will add sways to eliminate the remaining lean I’ve got, but handles pretty good now. Ride is a little firm, but an acceptable tradeoff for improved handling.

Looks good – especially the rear – I like it. Side view is nice – front is sore spot. Angel (Carson Toyota) called yesterday and gave me the tracking number for my new TTE grille, so it’s FINALLY on the way. I think the grille will raise my opinion of the front view.

So there it is – I am genuinely enjoying this car now – how do you other CL’ers feel about yours?
Well, I think the TTE grille will spruce it up alot. Im not a big fan of grilles with the center bar.... Oh, by the way, you will NEVER be fully satisfied with the frontal view until, I hate to say this but......you spend even MORE money and add either a lower spoiler or full replacement bumper..... Sorry, but the mod bug is a nasty little booger...heehee Hope you realize your car looks awesome regardless though.....

Last edited by tinygs; 10-25-02 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 03:13 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the most clean GSs out there G. Excellent work.
Old 10-25-02, 04:57 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

and the LT exhaust (with resonance drone practically gone) sounds great too
I have to ask, how exactly did you lessen the L-Tuned drone??

Luv your ride, BTW
Old 10-25-02, 05:38 PM
JacobT

Garnet,

One more thing you could do to make your GS even more perfect. I just had the dealer tighted up the pretensioner on the steering rack. It feels a lot more solid now. If you're under warranty, it's free, otherwise Davenport can do it for free too. Try it, you'll gonna like it.
Old 10-25-02, 07:33 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default One of many

Thanks guys, just another good-lookin’ GS representing ClubLexus.

Ebruceii – here’s a link to a discussion about the possible cause(s) of the drone reduction - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=62123

Tiny – just got back from Pep Boys picking up my tranny cooler – when I opened it up, didn’t have any hose in the box - gotta go back and exchange - damn. Many thanks for the detailed install instructions – looks like you covered everything. [I’m purposely ignoring your comment about spending EVEN MORE MONEY (even tho I know it’s true)]

Jacob – thanks for the heads up – I’ll make sure to have that done next time I go to either shop, and it's FREE?? Can't beat that!
Old 10-25-02, 08:37 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Re: The GS is getting better and better

Originally posted by garnet92

You say that you LOST acceleration from the intake? Please explain...
Old 10-25-02, 08:41 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Low end

From a combination of intake/exhaust - talking about low-end primarily - it/they do improve mid and upper ranges but hurt my takeoff from standing start.

Last edited by garnet92; 10-25-02 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 09:43 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

G, that's one sweat White GS.. I like..
Old 10-26-02, 12:24 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I LIKEY........LOL
Old 10-26-02, 11:33 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

Default Good job !

Garnet92,

Here you go; an another debaged white GS.
Clean and sharp from all over
Welcome to the optimized GS scenerio !

Quick Reply: The GS is getting better and better