GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How do u guys do it??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-12, 07:13 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always tell my wife..."its better i spend money on my car then on another girl" lol and she agrees.
Old 03-07-12, 07:15 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by puff
You only mod your car if you can afford it. It would be extremely foolish to dig yourself into a financial hole with a new born and gf to take care of. Your family will always come first. Make sure they are well taken care of and everyone is happy. When everyone is happy it shouldn't be a problem to spend some spare change on the GS once in a while. A good paying job doesn't hurt either .
+1

I don't have a kid yet, but my girlfriend knows I spend money on cars. Shes fine with that, somewhat. But I always include her with my car stuff, ask for her opinions of what she thinks work on the car together etc etc. But I do have my priority set, I could buy those 3k wheels I want, but I dont because I know my money can go somewhere else where its more useful.

Family>cars.
Old 03-07-12, 07:19 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

It's your job to explain to her that this is your passion and not just a silly game. Before I got married I explained to my nowwife that the modding will never stop. I was doing it before I met her and I keep doing it till I die. I told her when I hit that mid life crisis I won't be driving a converable sports car but I will definitely be boosting something lol. Two kids later and i'm working on my third boosted car.
^^^ Ditto. Shouldn't have a problem with your girl if you're taking care of all your responsibilities and she understand that it's your hobby. My wife doesn't tell me anything about modding my car. But then again she has her own car, I save a ton of cash, and could have a brand new Lexus if I really wanted one. So she readily accepts me modding my bucket and saving the extra cash . But she also knows I'm very thifty with my habits.

Gotta have your priorities straight though. Since it's my hobby I enjoy doing as much work on it as I can. An example would be the new/old wheels I put on it. I bought them on the cheap and rebuilt them myself. Could easily buy VIP Modulars, but I realize my hobbies place and where it ranks among my priorities.
Old 03-07-12, 07:28 PM
KingGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's your job to explain to her that this is your passion and not just a silly game. Before I got married I explained to my nowwife that the modding will never stop. I was doing it before I met her and I keep doing it till I die. I told her when I hit that mid life crisis I won't be driving a converable sports car but I will definitely be boosting something lol. Two kids later and i'm working on my third boosted car.
Now theres a man with sum knowledge!! Lol. I've explained this to her an she's slowly understanding but sometimes its not enough.
Old 03-07-12, 07:30 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my friend I totally understand where you are coming from. My wife used to say the same things to me until I told her to **** and go make me a sandwich or Ill divorce her ***. So then she made me a sandwich and helped me install my coil overs!! LOL Just kidding.
In all honestly, I had a serious convo with her one day about how modding cars really makes me happy...BUT not as happy as she makes me. LOL don't want to get cut off. I spoke to her seriously and explained that it was kind of like when she sits down in our library and reads. It relaxes her and she enjoys it. Or how if I go down on her, it relaxes her and she enjoys it. I got lucky and those two comparison's was all i needed. And the fact that she not one of those girls who become a major biotch after you marry them. Try it bud, sit down with her, include her, and even give her a good ole fashioned noon-er after you order your parts. She might just relate you buying parts to sex and will totally be down for it!!! good luck and happy modding!!!!!
Old 03-07-12, 07:32 PM
KingGS
Rookie

Thanks again for all ure comments really helps a lot an shes sitting here with me now reading all the comments and she's starting to c Wat its all about
Old 03-07-12, 07:36 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Well we share a bank account and both our daily jobs paychecks go into that. I don't spend any money from that on my cars, any side work money or ebay income is what I usually spend on the car. She never see's what is actually coming into my paypal account, if she saw how much has really been spent on the car in the past year she may be a little freaked out, but it didn't come from our household income. She shoots weddings on the side as well and I never ask about any extra money she makes either.
Old 03-07-12, 07:45 PM
AMSMIKE
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suger mamma.

/the end!
Old 03-07-12, 08:23 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What i do - pay the bills and treat her to random gifts. The older members have the key "teach her about the mods and that this is ur hobbie". They like to shop get those nails fly and chill with their girls... All we wanna do is work on cars and upgrade it (for safety ;-). He have a 14 month old so i always play the safety cards... Rims were a bday gift to myself

But if all that fails there is always the baby powder hand lol jk
Old 03-07-12, 08:46 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

People with mortgages, all props to you.
Old 03-07-12, 10:21 PM
GS300LUV
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot, I have a mortgage, car payment, baby on the way, 4 kids right now.....but I have to have my hobby. And I just sold my SR swapped 240...lol $6000 is what i got and its all going to the GS. So yea as long as you dont take from the family or house, you will be in good shape. Plus mods make the car much safer!!!! Is she still reading there with you? SAFER!!! Saftey in mods!!! lol
Old 03-07-12, 11:07 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

one of the requirements for my future wife is gonna have a modded car too or at least be content with me having the modded car.
Old 03-08-12, 05:43 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Because I'm a grown azz man and I do what I want with my money and car lol! Also being a elec. engr for a great company does give me extra moolah to spend.
Old 03-08-12, 06:41 AM
4eign
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS300LUV
Well my friend I totally understand where you are coming from. My wife used to say the same things to me until I told her to **** and go make me a sandwich or Ill divorce her ***. So then she made me a sandwich and helped me install my coil overs!! LOL Just kidding.
In all honestly, I had a serious convo with her one day about how modding cars really makes me happy...BUT not as happy as she makes me. LOL don't want to get cut off. I spoke to her seriously and explained that it was kind of like when she sits down in our library and reads. It relaxes her and she enjoys it. Or how if I go down on her, it relaxes her and she enjoys it. I got lucky and those two comparison's was all i needed. And the fact that she not one of those girls who become a major biotch after you marry them. Try it bud, sit down with her, include her, and even give her a good ole fashioned noon-er after you order your parts. She might just relate you buying parts to sex and will totally be down for it!!! good luck and happy modding!!!!!
LMAO!! u one crazy **** bro.
Old 03-08-12, 08:18 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO try and start at an early age unless you're switching games like how you're doing from Honda to Lexus.

I bought my GS cash at the age of 18, now just turned 20 a month and a half ago. Still living at home with parents, college, work 2 jobs, and a gf of a little over 4 years.

My gf understands that it's what I do and she does not question where my money goes because it's just that, my money. I also choose to dump ridiculous amounts into the GS because you make 2 huge investments in your lifetime. A car and a house. I've got the vehicle down and I plan to have about 75-80% done by the time I'm 21 to my liking. Which so far looks like it will happen. I don't make a ton of money.. About 14k a year as of this years taxes but the few bills I pay stay paid (phone, insurance, gym, and I pay for all maint on the car), my grades stay up, so everyone stays happy and nobody is on my back and I get to do what I please with the GS since it all comes out of my pocket.

Basically what I'm saying is if you find the one car that you know you'll be content with keeping for a long while (5-10 years) and you start at a young age like I did you should be game once it comes to having a family etc because your ride will be done, but then again it also depends on when you look to start a family and have more expense rather than just yourself. I don't plan on moving out until I have both my associates degrees and a better job where I can rake in a lot more than 14k and hold my own without living paycheck to paycheck.

Anyways.. In the end it's all how good your job is, how understanding your sig other is, and when you choose to start. Oh and also how much modding you choose to do. There is a huge difference between mildly modding your car with smaller things rather than going all out with wheels, full adjustable suspension, etc...

Quick Reply: How do u guys do it??