GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Drove ES300 and GS300 on 30 mi test loop, my decision is made

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-02, 11:09 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Drove ES300 and GS300 on 30 mi test loop, my decision is made

As many of you know, I recently found out that I could lease a 2003 GS300 with nav and levinson for slightly more than the 2003 ES300 with the same loaded package. Today I went over to Lexus of Rockville and drove both cars on the same 30 mile test loop, for those of you who were kind enough to offer me your opinions and guidance in this issue I thought I would post my opinions on the stregnts and weaknesses of both cars and why I reached the decision that I did.

First off I want to say that these are both fantastic cars. The build quality on both are the same, I found no reasons to think that the GS felt or looked better built or more expensive than the ES like some people have noted. I think you're sensing a difference in type of car more than you're sensing a difference in quality. The interiors are super tight and have excellent quality materials, the doors make the same resounding solid thump when closed, and all the interior switchgear operated with the same precise, high quality, expensive feel.

The ES interior is an example of the new movement in Lexus interior styling seen in the LS and the SC, whereas the GS interior is more an example of the old line Lexus look (a'la last gen LS). Not a bad thing at all, in fact there are parts of the old look that I prefer. First off, I like the old interior dash material better than the new. The LS, ES and SC all share a grainer look dash top that is harder with less padding, not a quality issue its just a different type of material. The GS has the same thick low grain dash cover that my dad's 98 LS has. I do prefer this. I also like the way the GS dash sits up higher, giving the driver more of a cockpit feel. The center console is also higher between the seats, mostly because of the driveline but it also works to make the interior feel sportier and more cockpitlike. The GS has several interior features the ES does not have that I prefer. One is the power steering wheel, and another is the Lexus spec rearview mirror, I think it is a lot better looking than the parts bin gentex mirror in the ES. The features of the ES interior I missed in the GS were the sunglass holder and the big backseat. With the drivers seat adjusted the way I like (I lean back a pretty good ways) I had plenty of room to sit comfortably in the back of the ES without my knees touching the back of the drivers seat. In the GS, I was positively cramped. I also preferred the shade of the ES wood, the wood steering wheel and the amount if wood.

One big thing my girlfriend and I noticed was that the GS seats are positively uncomfortable. I have the destinction of being born with back problems, my back is a lot straighter than it should be, and I found the GS seats too lumpy. My girlfriend also doesn't sit in a car the way a normal person does (I ***** at her all the time lol) she curls up and sits on one of her legs. The sporty bolstering of the GS's seats hurt my back and make it uncomfortable for her to curl up. On the road the sporty feel of the GS was immidately apparent in the road feedback and the sound of the engine. The GS is less quiet and removed from the road than the ES and LS like I'd feared. I understand that this is a great feature of the GS to all of you, but I really do prefer the smooth and quiet ride that brought me to Lexus in the first place. The drivetrain on the GS is very smooth and responsive, and it has the ECT PWR and ECT SNOW modes, another feature that was a plus. At speed, the GS is very very stable, but the road hum the more communicative suspension, steering and larger wheels made audible in the interior was just plain unnaceptable to me. I also found that the GS suspension was firmer with less wheel travel, also which is preferable to a sporty driver, but not to me. So I returned to the dealership and got the keys to the ES.

I knew the ES was the car before I even pulled out of the parking lot. I could tell the difference in smoothness and ride isolation before even breaking double digit speeds. Once on the road I found much to my pleasure, that the ES didn't feel that much different than a RWD car, which is good because I do prefer RWD to front. There was no torque steer when accelerating from a stop in a straight line, and when accelerating through a turn I never felt like I was fighting the engine for the right to direct the car's flight. I really think that it felt a lot more like a RWD car than a FWD car, and I think I would have noticed any difference after getting out of the GS. I didn't really feel that the ES was any slower than the GS, even with the GS on PWR mode, I felt the acceleration and responsiveness of the two cars were pretty close. No, the ES did not handle as well as the GS, but again I was plesantly surprised that it was closer than I thought. One interesting thing was that after making a right turn when changing roads, the wheel on the GS never wanted to re-center itself I always had to re-steer back to center. The ES wheel came back around on its own, much more what I'm used to. The ES does a much better job at isolating potholes and road irrecgularities, and the car is obviously tuned to keep more exterior road and street noise out of the cabin, giving that whole "detatched from the world" feel I always loved about my dad's LS. By the time I got out onto the highway and accelerated up to 80 I was sure the ES was the car for me. Total dead silence, while in the GS I always felt very connected and aware of the type of road surface I was driving over. In the ES, I was still aware of rough vs. smooth road surface, but not because of feel coming through the suspension or steering wheel, just by a slight change of the frequency of the tire hum. This is what I'm looking for out of a car right now. My girlfriend and I both found the seats much more comfortable both for my irregular back, and for her style of sitting.

I want to thank all of you for your opinions and views, but for right now the ES is more the car for me than the GS. It more fits my driving habits (lots of straighline highway trips, city driving with lots of potholes etc) and what I'm looking for in a car. I will say this though, you all drive one fantastic machine. Its a very communicative car that still strikes much better a balance with luxury than the BMW or Mercedes do. The GS is truly a fantastic car, just not what I'm looking for as much as the ES is.

Once I hear back from my leasing company Monday I'll make the order.

Thanks again y'all!

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-26-02 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-27-02, 01:47 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SW03ES, I'm sorry to hear that you chose the ES over the GS..
:eek: Hey, to each his own... As for me the GS has been my dream car since the first production on the Gen.1 model... But anyways, goodluck with your new ES and Congrats....
Old 10-27-02, 01:55 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

The GS is definately a fantastic car, the ES is just a better combination of the things I'm looking for.

Enjoy yours, its a great car.
Old 10-27-02, 02:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts
Default Re: Drove ES300 and GS300 on 30 mi test loop, my decision is made

Originally posted by SW03ES
... The features of the ES interior I missed in the GS were the sunglass holder and the big backseat. With the drivers seat adjusted the way I like (I lean back a pretty good ways) I had plenty of room to sit comfortably in the back of the ES without my knees touching the back of the drivers seat. In the GS, I was positively cramped.
Well that's the first point I disagree because in the new ES I couldn't move the FRONT seat back far enough to get comfortable (I've got long legs). The GS is a DRIVER'S car, and has huge front seat travel. Also, I don't see how you could say the back seat is 'positively cramped'. Even with the front seat all the way back on its track I can sit in the rear seat and I'm 6'3".

One big thing my girlfriend and I noticed was that the GS seats are positively uncomfortable.
Wouldn't that be 'negatively' uncomfortable?

Again, I completely disagree. The GS is the only car I've owned which I can drive all day and not feel uncomfortable. And I have back problems too.

I found the GS seats too lumpy. ... The sporty bolstering of the GS's seats hurt my back
Well, that doesn't mean it's too lumpy, it just means it's a sporty seat that doesn't work for you with your back problems.

The GS is less quiet and removed from the road than the ES and LS like I'd feared.
Huh? The GS300 which would have the 16" wheels, is QUIET, certainly no louder than the ES. I've driven both.

At speed, the GS is very very stable, but the road hum the more communicative suspension, steering and larger wheels made audible in the interior was just plain unnaceptable to me.
Not positively unacceptable?

The wheel sizes are the same on the GS300 and ES (16").

I knew the ES was the car before I even pulled out of the parking lot.
Such objectivity.

Once on the road I found much to my pleasure, that the ES didn't feel that much different than a RWD car, which is good because I do prefer RWD to front.
Maybe because you drive like a granny?

I really think that it felt a lot more like a RWD car than a FWD car, and I think I would have noticed any difference after getting out of the GS.
Well you obviously didn't hit the gas in any turns then because then it's OBVIOUS as the ES ploughs.

No, the ES did not handle as well as the GS
But I thought it was like a RWD car?

The ES does a much better job at isolating potholes and road irrecgularities, and the car is obviously tuned to keep more exterior road and street noise out of the cabin, giving that whole "detatched from the world" feel I always loved about my dad's LS.
Maybe you should get a Camry and save some money...
Old 10-27-02, 02:28 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Woah woah woah, calm down man no reason to be an ***. We just have different tastes thats all. I think I went out of my way to make sure I got the point aross that I thought the GS was a fantastic car, its just not my kind of car. You love your GS, thats great its a great car, its just what I'm looking for. Geesh, everyone likes something different.

"Wouldn't that be 'negatively' uncomfortable?

Again, I completely disagree. The GS is the only car I've owned which I can drive all day and not feel uncomfortable. And I have back problems too."

First off, thanks for the maturity of the first line.

I said that when I sat in the back of the GS with the front seat adjusted the way I like it I felt cramped. You can't tell me I didn't, I did. I was there, I am me and I know how I felt. You're not me and I'm not you, you have a different OPINION than me, and thats fine.

"Well, that doesn't mean it's too lumpy, it just means it's a sporty seat that doesn't work for you with your back problems."

I thought I clearly stated that BECAUSE of my particular back problem I found that the seat felt lumpy. Obviously others don't feel that way, this is my OPINION.

"Huh? The GS300 which would have the 16" wheels, is QUIET, certainly no louder than the ES. I've driven both."

The GS's wheels are wider than the ES, and they provide better handling while causing some more road noise. Read the reviews and compare the decibel ratings. Again, I think that I made it clear that I didn't think this was a bad thing, just that the car is tuned for a different purpose.

"Not positively unacceptable?

The wheel sizes are the same on the GS300 and ES (16")."

Again, thank you for your maturity with the first line.

"Such objectivity."

Right, I'm buying a car here, and I want what I want. You bought what you want, why can't I?

"Maybe because you drive like a granny?"

Who the hell do you think you are? I don't drive like a Granny, but I mostly drive at high speed in a straight line, and I prefer a ride biased car. If you have a problem with that, then I'll tell you where you can put it.

"Well you obviously didn't hit the gas in any turns then because then it's OBVIOUS as the ES ploughs."

I didn't find that it ploughed in most of the gassed turnes I tried. Again, even if it did, I want a ride biased car. Whats wrong with that?

"But I thought it was like a RWD car?"

The LS doesnt handle as well as the GS, and its a RWD car. Again. I want a ride biased car. Whats wrong with that?

"Maybe you should get a Camry and save some money..."

Maybe you should ditch the holier than thou attitude and get some class. You sound like one of the pompus *** BMW or Benz owners we all hate.

See, I thought this was a friendly place where all Lexus enthusiats could talk. Why doesn't everyone tell me if thats the case, or is everyone else like this self righteous zit? If no one wants me here because the GS isn't my favorite car of all time, just tell me and I'll find a board with some real people. I posted earlier saying that I was going to test the cars back to back, and everyone was very supportive of me, even if I decided the ES was more for me. Why can't you be the samw way Bit? Do you feel threatened by me?

I want the car that I want, the GS is not it I'm sorry. Its a fantastic car, its just not what I wanted. Why should I be attacked because of that ?

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-27-02 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-27-02, 02:43 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Damn Bit, what was that about??? I guess it's late Saturday night and it's about that time when the demons are creeping...

And SW03ES, like I said before to each his own.... I'm not driving your car, I'm driving mine. Your entitled to feel anyway you want and express how you feel, even if I/we don't agree with you...

This really sucks man.... It's Saturday night, I'm home sober and I've been on this board for like 3hrs.... I'm going to bed... Goodnight guys.....
Old 10-27-02, 03:05 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Exactly how I feel Mr. I went out of my way making sure I got the point across how I felt about the GS as a vehicle to make sure no one thought I was trashing it. Guess I should have tried harder, oh well can't please the world.

Man I know how you feel though, Saturday night and the world around here is dead. We've just been sitting around here on the computers wasting time lol.

Take care
Old 10-27-02, 03:09 AM
brian3268
Lead Lap

whoaa wat was that all about?!

SW03ES, congratulations on findin the right car for you
Old 10-27-02, 03:15 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Thank you very much!
Old 10-27-02, 09:56 AM
BLW
Driver

SWO3ES

Thanks for the write up. I have not driven the ES so really had no knowledge of its driving characteristics and I appreciate you taking the time to give us your opinion.

Congrats and enjoy your new Lexus & I do like your color choice.
Old 10-27-02, 01:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally posted by SW03ES
I think I went out of my way to make sure I got the point aross that I thought the GS was a fantastic car, its just not my kind of car.
Your post was damning with faint praise. See here. You said it was fantastic and then contradicted that ad nauseum. 'Fantastic' cars don't have positively uncomfortable seats (lumpy, cramped back seat) for example.

I said that when I sat in the back of the GS with the front seat adjusted the way I like it I felt cramped. You can't tell me I didn't, I did. I was there, I am me and I know how I felt. You're not me and I'm not you, you have a different OPINION than me, and thats fine.
Could you say "I" a few more times in one paragraph?

Maybe you should ditch the holier than thou attitude and get some class. You sound like one of the pompus *** BMW or Benz owners we all hate.
Thanks pal. Enjoy the tarted up Camry. By the way, the Mark Lev stereo on the ES isn't as good as the one on the GS.

If no one wants me here because the GS isn't my favorite car of all time, just tell me and I'll find a board with some real people. I posted earlier saying that I was going to test the cars back to back, and everyone was very supportive of me, even if I decided the ES was more for me. Why can't you be the samw way Bit? Do you feel threatened by me?
Not at all. My problem with your 'comparison' is that you'd obviously made up your mind before you even started and it came across as justifying your decision and comparison. If you like the ES, great. But comparing it to the GS is almost like comparing a Dodge Intrepid and an E320.
Old 10-27-02, 02:03 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Obviously, Bitkahuna loves his GS. Just like taste in women, there are different opinions as to what each person prefers, but there is no need to attack someone because they disagree with you. Sw03es is a member of our Lexus community and we appreciate his decision in choicing a Lexus product and we welcome him into our community. Try not to alienate any of our members for having a difference in opinion. We don't want CL to be lowered to the level of other car maker's message boards.
Old 10-27-02, 02:47 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this thread would be better off closed!

(NEUTRAL ground)
Old 10-27-02, 02:48 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

"Your post was damning with faint praise. See here. You said it was fantastic and then contradicted that ad nauseum. 'Fantastic' cars don't have positively uncomfortable seats (lumpy, cramped back seat) for example."

A car can be fantastic even though its not the right car for me. See, I'm a car enthusiast so I understand that.

"Could you say "I" a few more times in one paragraph?"

That was the whole point, since yopu obviously have problems understanding that this is my car and my decision. Just because someone doesn't like what you like doesn't mean they're wrong.

"Thanks pal. Enjoy the tarted up Camry. By the way, the Mark Lev stereo on the ES isn't as good as the one on the GS."

Thanks again for the maturity of the low blow, I didn't even say anything about the stereos. Again, the class being displayed here is blinding.

"Not at all. My problem with your 'comparison' is that you'd obviously made up your mind before you even started and it came across as justifying your decision and comparison. If you like the ES, great. But comparing it to the GS is almost like comparing a Dodge Intrepid and an E320."

Your car isn't the best in the world pal, its a 6 year old model that has double digit percentage declining sales every year. I like the GS, its just not my kinda car, obviously it bothers you a lot that my opinion is different than yours. Do you have some sort of problem with your purchase? You seem to because of the way you're reacting to me. Should I kiss your feet? Should I bless your car. I went out of my way to say it was a great car, just not what I want. Its not like I went out and got a 5 series and posted the same thread, I decided on a TOTALLY DIFFERENT type of car! The type I liked better.

Grow up you sound like a 12 year old.

Thank you 93Lexo for your remarks.

And thanks a lot Bit for puting a damper on my first Lexus purchase. Way to bring new blood into the fold.

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-27-02 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-27-02, 03:00 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

And Manuel, I would be very sad to see this post closed because some whiney child can't deal with the fact that I don't like his toy. I haven't been around behavior like that since I was a child myself.

I posted this so I could discuss my opinions with you GS fans, I wanted to see how the two cars attracted different buyers. So far, everyone but Bit has been able to handle that.

Where are those moderators that blasted my *** for telling someone in the RX forum that I thought it was stupid for them to jump over median strips to impress people, and that 99% of people who saw them weren't impressed. I got a warning even though the guy and I laughed about it in the posts right afterward, and the thread didnt even need to be moderated! I was sent a very rude email saying I've been here "less than a month" and I've said "these things" in a post. I never udes any foul language, and I never said anything about the guy personally, just what he did. I sent back a breakdown of ClubLexus rules point by point and showed how I didn't even come close to breaking any of them, but haven't recieved a response.

Now, this guy is contributing to the instability of a thread, and this guy is attacking another member maliciously and childishly, will he be moderated? Will his posts be removed so us mature individuals can discuss this? Will he get a warning? I'm gonna say no because he hasn't been here "less than a month" and he's a paid member. He gets to be a jerk and break the rules, and I get moderated when I haven't broken ANY.

See, I was getting ready to become one before this happened, but you people aren't going to get a dime from me now until I see myself treated with the same respect everyone else is.

If this is some sort of elitest "I'm better than you" club, I don't want to be a part of it. Luckily, 99% of people have been great to me. I guess thats what the ignore feature is for

I've seen it happen to other BBS' guys. If I came on here and saw this thread, I'd think you all were no better than the jerks on mbworld.org and I'd be on my way, just because of the remarks of this one guy. A rotten apple spoils the whole bunch.

Most people on here age great, and this site seems very nice, I'd hate to see it turn to crap.

Last edited by SW03ES; 10-27-02 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Drove ES300 and GS300 on 30 mi test loop, my decision is made