GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Unbelievable car damaged at work

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 04:21 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable car damaged at work

So....... for the past month or so, theirs been some construction of some apartment/housing development thats being built. Now from time to time I come out and my car is covered in dust which looks like this

Now after driving home from work on Friday, I do the usual, give the car a wash an hang with the guys. While I was drying the car I noticed these white dots all over the freaking car. At this point my blood pressure is sky high because I now know it's over spray . I quickly get dressed an try to catch someone before they go home; of course I get their and the workers have already left for the day. I come to work today still pretty heated, so I try an do the smart thing and get the police involved just to write a report. This idiot shows up and tells me I can't because it wasn't intentionally done and if I wanted to pursue the matter I would have to take them to court. I said thats besides the point. I just wanted something on paper stating the incident; after going back an forth I wasn't getting anywhere with this cop. So I walk over to see whos in charge; I find the guy and explain to him what happened; he comes to look at the car and he agrees with me that yeah it's over spray, he apologises and we exchange info. He says they use a detailing company for their own personal cars so they're going to try and see if it comes out. I pray this works ...

I've tried to claybar it an no luck I'm talking about it's all over the car, even the windows.. in Sunny South Florida on a black car this sticks out big time ... I can't even look at her right now!
Old 03-12-12, 04:24 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me about 5 years ago. They painted a water tower right next to our office building. All of the cars in our parking lot looked like that.

The company paid to detail all of our cars and it came out just fine.

Obviously yours wasn't the only car that got sprayed. You should talk to whoever manages your office building and have them interface directly with the construction company to organize getting all of the cars in your work parking lot fixed.
Old 03-12-12, 04:42 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have full coverage? If so call your insurance company, possibly get a free paint job and let your insurance company go after the construction crew...
Old 03-12-12, 05:11 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
This happened to me about 5 years ago. They painted a water tower right next to our office building. All of the cars in our parking lot looked like that.

The company paid to detail all of our cars and it came out just fine.

Obviously yours wasn't the only car that got sprayed. You should talk to whoever manages your office building and have them interface directly with the construction company to organize getting all of the cars in your work parking lot fixed.
Crazy thing is, my car is the only one right now that shows, my car is pretty much the only dark colored car. I've already talked to security at my job an they pretty much just told me to take as many photos as i can if I needed to try an build a case against them, He pretty much stated I was on my own with this. I work at a hospital an most of the employees park offsite so this happened offsite.

Originally Posted by Chin
You have full coverage? If so call your insurance company, possibly get a free paint job and let your insurance company go after the construction crew...
Yes I have full coverage, that's what I was going to do tomorrow, let them know whats going on; god forbid what they attemp only messes it up more, so I'm kinda going to let them direct me on what to do.
Old 03-12-12, 05:12 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

A good detail company should be able to get all of that off. Some pro-level buffing with polish or cutting cream will take care of it. Start looking at yelp to find a well-respected autobody/paint place not just car detailing. You will find autobodys maybe a better source for this kind of work, more than carwash places and are familiar with insurance procedures.

Don't repaint. It's something on the paint, not something that you have to fix by putting more paint on-unless it's chemical and actually etched in. But I suppose the experts can advise you on that.

If you can, I would try to keep it out of the sun until you get someone to look at it, so it won't magnify and maybe actually pit your paint.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-12-12 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 05:19 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raytseng
A good detail company should be able to get all of that off. Some pro-level buffing will take care of it. Start looking at yelp to find a well-respected autobody/paint place.

Don't repaint. It's something on the paint, not something that you have to fix by putting more paint on-unless it's chemical and actually etched in.

If you can, I would try to keep it out of the sun, so it won't magnify and maybe actually pit your paint.
I sure hope so; yeah I know a free paint job sounds nice,but I really don't want to paint it, it definitely didnt need one, but the sun part is kind of hard, the only time my car is outside is at work when I'm home it's in the garage, I'm trying to stay under trees right now even though I hate parking under those too.
Old 03-12-12, 05:23 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chin
Great idea, see this is why I have full coverage, yea I might not wreck but you just never know what else can happen, I hope you get this resolved I'd be so heated... How bout all of us gs owners pull up wit u at the construction site together!
Old 03-12-12, 05:38 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I suggest you just find and stop by an autobody/paint detail shop that is highly regarded and at least get an estimate and their expert opinion instead of waiting on insurance or other things. Maybe even ask for their advice on what to do. Estimates are always free.

That will at least let you know where you stand and what your options are from there.

Maybe if things go weill, they'll say we can clean that up for you for $75, and knowing that it is a smaller amount can remove a lot of stress from the situation.
If it turns out to be a big estimate, still it's still useful to have the knowledge rather than not.
Old 03-12-12, 06:11 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

A good polish should remove all that.No need for a new paint job.BTW I saw your car for sale a few months ago what happen?
Old 03-12-12, 06:41 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Had it happen to me as well, as has been stated, a professional detail took care of it.

-Will
Old 03-12-12, 06:45 PM
Wicked GS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raytseng
I suggest you just find and stop by an autobody/paint detail shop that is highly regarded and at least get an estimate and their expert opinion instead of waiting on insurance or other things. Maybe even ask for their advice on what to do. Estimates are always free.

That will at least let you know where you stand and what your options are from there.

Maybe if things go weill, they'll say we can clean that up for you for $75, and knowing that it is a smaller amount can remove a lot of stress from the situation.
If it turns out to be a big estimate, still it's still useful to have the knowledge rather than not.
Originally Posted by acer9103
A good polish should remove all that.No need for a new paint job.BTW I saw your car for sale a few months ago what happen?
Originally Posted by AMGWNAB
Had it happen to me as well, as has been stated, a professional detail took care of it.

-Will
Appreciate all the suggestions guys ... Ace ... I decided to hang on to it a while longer
Old 03-13-12, 12:50 AM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

sorry to here about that a but a good detailer should able to clean it
Old 03-13-12, 01:44 AM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

man dat sux. i hope things work out good. hopefully you get a new paintjob.
Old 03-13-12, 06:41 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Keep us posted... sorry to hear man.. that sucks.
Old 03-13-12, 09:13 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You wont get far in court. Just figure it out on your own and call it a day.

Last year, construction sign FLEW off during high winds and ripped my whole FRONT END off. Grill, TTE lip, bumper, one headlight. Company did absolute ZERO, NOTHING. Said "its act of nature". Go to court, they are insured against it so i cant do anything. Wasted time. Keep in mind, i own a car dealership and know TONS of good people and the process, but still, came out with nothing.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable car damaged at work