GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Window Issue...has to be an answer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 08:54 PM
NewNorth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Issue...has to be an answer!

Hey CL crew, I just got done searching for a solution to my window problem and after 2 hours of searching I couldn't find one true answer. It seems more than a few people have this problem but don't know yet the right way to fix it.

My front passenger window rolls down but when trying to roll it up it goes down instead of up. Often when playing with it for a while it will go back up again. One day it took me 20 minutes to get it back up tho. I can hear a clicking as if it wants to roll up but nothing happens. Then when it does roll up its as if nothing happened. It doesn't go extra slow or make any crazy noises. It does this from both the master (driver) switch and the passenger switch. I founds posts on this same problem going back as far as 2005 so I know someone had to find out how to fix it by now...

Help me out with a solution! Thanks
Old 03-12-12, 11:34 PM
BlKTC
Driver

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your power window motor is going bad..

Did you try taking off the door panel and seeing checking out all the connections?
Old 03-13-12, 07:27 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NewNorth
Hey CL crew, I just got done searching for a solution to my window problem and after 2 hours of searching I couldn't find one true answer. It seems more than a few people have this problem but don't know yet the right way to fix it.

My front passenger window rolls down but when trying to roll it up it goes down instead of up. Often when playing with it for a while it will go back up again. One day it took me 20 minutes to get it back up tho. I can hear a clicking as if it wants to roll up but nothing happens. Then when it does roll up its as if nothing happened. It doesn't go extra slow or make any crazy noises. It does this from both the master (driver) switch and the passenger switch. I founds posts on this same problem going back as far as 2005 so I know someone had to find out how to fix it by now...

Help me out with a solution! Thanks
Seriously to the T describes my very issue for about a month now... Just havent gotten around to taking the panel off yet to trouble shoot. OP dont get this at the car wash... I had a big line waiting behind me till i could get it to go back up lol
Old 03-13-12, 09:03 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the same issue sometimes and think I have the answer but I have not taken the time to verify this will fix it. Here is the factory troubleshooting information for this issue.

FIG 18:

Old 03-13-12, 09:10 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
I have the same issue sometimes and think I have the answer but I have not taken the time to verify this will fix it. Here is the factory troubleshooting information for this issue.

FIG 18:

Nice post up
Old 03-13-12, 09:14 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair

FIG 18:

Extremely useful post.
Old 03-13-12, 11:07 AM
MrGudbar99
Driver

Originally Posted by blackgloss
Seriously to the T describes my very issue for about a month now... Just havent gotten around to taking the panel off yet to trouble shoot. OP dont get this at the car wash... I had a big line waiting behind me till i could get it to go back up lol
LOL. That's funny as hell.

Thanks for posting this up. I've been having this same issue as well. I swear it only happens at the worst time too. When i'm by myself, it's cool for the most part, then when I have a guest or a chick riding with me, it acts up...It was embarrassing as hell at first trying to cover it up. "Why are we still sitting in the car?"..."I just wanna finish hearing what they are talking about on the radio." lol...meanwhile the window is going up and down, up and down like its retarded.
Old 03-13-12, 11:12 AM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgudbar99
lol. That's funny as hell.

Thanks for posting this up. I've been having this same issue as well. I swear it only happens at the worst time too. When i'm by myself, it's cool for the most part, then when i have a guest or a chick riding with me, it acts up...it was embarrassing as hell at first trying to cover it up. "why are we still sitting in the car?"..."i just wanna finish hearing what they are talking about on the radio." lol...meanwhile the window is going up and down, up and down like its retarded.
lmfaoooooooo i use the same excuse
Old 03-13-12, 11:49 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrGudbar99
LOL. That's funny as hell.

Thanks for posting this up. I've been having this same issue as well. I swear it only happens at the worst time too. When i'm by myself, it's cool for the most part, then when I have a guest or a chick riding with me, it acts up...It was embarrassing as hell at first trying to cover it up. "Why are we still sitting in the car?"..."I just wanna finish hearing what they are talking about on the radio." lol...meanwhile the window is going up and down, up and down like its retarded.

Lmao - last friday i had a 3 coworkers with me coming back from lunch and this happend when we got back to the office. I told um i had to make a phone call and i'll be in... 20 seconds later the window goes up and said "they didnt answer" lol i gotta get this fixed.

Thanx for the chart post
Old 03-13-12, 12:31 PM
MrGudbar99
Driver

Originally Posted by blackgloss
Lmao - last friday i had a 3 coworkers with me coming back from lunch and this happend when we got back to the office. I told um i had to make a phone call and i'll be in... 20 seconds later the window goes up and said "they didnt answer" lol i gotta get this fixed.

Thanx for the chart post
LMAO!! Something I definitely would say. lol
Old 03-13-12, 04:58 PM
NewNorth
Driver School Candidate

Lol I usually use the "I gotta grab something in the trunk, I'll catch up with u". Ur excuses are good tho guys, I'll have to remember um next time. So now that I live in MN, my GS sits in the garage all winter but today it hit near 70 degrees so I took it out for the 1st time this year. I crossed my fingers that over the winter it fixed itself....but no one ever gets that lucky. It only took me about 4 minutes this time to get it to go up tho...ha

So even though we have some good excuses, someone needs to find the right way to fix this for us. The writeup by DEBONAIR is dope but as I'm a moderately good mechanic at best, its a little out of my skill level.

P.S. Taking the GS outta hibernation is one of the best days of the year hands down
Old 07-12-12, 04:04 PM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old post, but has anyone found a fix to this yet? Seems to be a pretty common issue for high mileage GS's (and other lexus models at that based on the search results). For other cars it seems as if replacing the master switch is the solution?
Old 07-12-12, 08:44 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This happened to me so i pulled the panel off, re-greased the tracks, and re-programmed the window switch, ive been golden for 3 months now without a single problem, smoothe sailing now..
Old 07-12-12, 10:15 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

I never did anything about it and it hasnt happened since my lost post on this... Lol thanks for bringin it up cause im sure it'll happen tomorrow in 108 degree heat
Old 07-16-12, 11:18 AM
wheelwh0re
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I re-programmed all of my switches, but it didn't help. Actually it caused the passenger side to roll down and I was stuck in 100 degree heat for 30 minutes because it wouldn't roll up :P.

I might just suck it up and pick up a used master switch off ebay to see if that fixes it...

Quick Reply: Window Issue...has to be an answer!