GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sway Bar Bushings Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-12, 11:14 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sway Bar Bushings Question

On a 1998 GS 400 are the Front Sway Bar Bushing Readily Accessible once I lift the car, or do I have to remove the Engine Splash Shield first in order to get to them? I am getting ready to replace them. Also how easy are the rears to access? Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 03-31-12, 12:08 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove the front splash shield and they will be exposed right there in front of you. Easy job. Rears are just as easy, just jack the car up a bit
Old 03-31-12, 12:42 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Alright cool. Thank you for the input.
Old 03-31-12, 02:10 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Do you recommend using any grease. I am installing OEM bushings (Rubber), not aftermarket Polyurethane bushings.
Old 03-31-12, 09:04 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

I installed my new bushings. I haven't noticed too much of a difference in the way the car drives since I installed OEM Bushings. I am still getting a squeaking sound from my car going over small dips. Not sure what to replace next. I have already done Caster Arms, Lower Ball Joints, Out Tie Rods, Sway Bar Links, and now Sway Bar Bushings. I'm not sure how old the shocks are, but I know they have been replaced at least once. I might have to look into the shocks and shock mounts next.

I'm also still getting an annoying rattle going over bumps when my brakes are decompressed that I need to figure out, I think the pads are jiggling around or something. When I brake the sound disappears.

Anyway's thanks for the quick answer earlier about the install. I still have to put the Splash Guard back on. I think the longest part of this DIY was the time it took me to jack up and put the car on stands.
Old 03-31-12, 11:36 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the same squeaking noise when over speed bump

Originally Posted by lexusben
I installed my new bushings. I haven't noticed too much of a difference in the way the car drives since I installed OEM Bushings. I am still getting a squeaking sound from my car going over small dips. Not sure what to replace next. I have already done Caster Arms, Lower Ball Joints, Out Tie Rods, Sway Bar Links, and now Sway Bar Bushings. I'm not sure how old the shocks are, but I know they have been replaced at least once. I might have to look into the shocks and shock mounts next.

I'm also still getting an annoying rattle going over bumps when my brakes are decompressed that I need to figure out, I think the pads are jiggling around or something. When I brake the sound disappears.

Anyway's thanks for the quick answer earlier about the install. I still have to put the Splash Guard back on. I think the longest part of this DIY was the time it took me to jack up and put the car on stands.
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...iagram=8909225
If you look at the following items. I think the upper mount(item #13) and the bump stopper( item #14) would be the next step. I have talk to two mechanic, and both suspecting the two items I mentioned. I hated to say this, But I think, and I hoping that the Lexus Technician was wrong, The squeaking noise could be coming from the strut itself. I was told. I just replaced all four struts not too long ago, about 5 months now. Please let me know if can narrow it down.
Old 12-12-12, 01:39 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben

Why does everyone seem to have the same complaint over and over with these 2GS cars, lol. Maybe someday someone will figure this front suspension cluster-F mess out finally.