GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I finally dyno'd my car. New world record? Pix and videos inside!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 09:18 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

How is a dyno reading not an accurate number? If you have a high stall on a car, it will read lower than another car with a high stall converter. Keep the same setup and everything, just change the converter and it will read different. Then again, how is that different than having a 6 speed? The manual is going to read the highest of all of them. Is a dyno on a 6 speed car somehow inaccurate? It's all about the coupling of power from the engine to the wheels. Please explain if I have misunderstood it.

So if I run the car on a DynoJet as you said is the most accurate. Have the RPM signal pick up direct to the coil pack. If the resulting dyno reading is incorrect, then what is the point of even running it on the dyno? lol
Old 02-19-13, 10:06 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not that the Dynojet is most accurate, it's consistent and the industry standard. IMO the Dyno Dynamics is most accurate. The power is just very unrealistic for your cars setup that's all... I just think you ran the car on a very high reading dyno. Run it down the 1/4, with that much power you should be able to beat adamgamz's time.

Reminds me of another guy locally that posted up dyno sheets of an R35 he tuned on a dynapack on stock turbo's, at 2250-2500 rpm @ 8-9 psi making 510ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. How was it even possible for him to make 200 ft/lbs over the factory tune at the same boost level? Then gets mad at everyone for calling him out lol.
Old 02-19-13, 11:16 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I thought the numbers were a bit high as well. I was honestly going into the dyno room expecting to make like 600-700. I started out at around 675 in the beginning, and tuned/tweaked for about an hour until I got my final number. I'll run it on a DynoJet and get a proper RPM pickup. The guys at that shop didn't have the right box to hook that in. So they used mph and gear based calculation for RPM. I do like Dyno Dynamics, but not many shops have those around here. I only know of like 2 or 3 and they're pretty far away. My friends shop has a Mustang Dyno that I may roll it on if he has free time. Those are eddy brake just like the Dyno Dynamics.
Old 02-19-13, 11:20 PM
acl99
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way thats very impressive, especially considering its on a piggyback
Old 02-20-13, 04:26 AM
fnkmachine
Driver School Candidate

That is 1 insane GS, love the F wheels BTW.
Old 02-20-13, 06:55 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Lol...people are never satisfied. Will dyno again on a DynoJet to make everyone happy. BTW: It's going through a stock stall torque converter so there is not so much loss in HP.

blk&blu*j of course your car is going to read lower if you have high stall converter for that 74mm turbo. Put a 6 speed or stock stall on your car and you power will go up tremendously.

I will be at TX2K13 next month for anyone that wants to play
Yeah Im on a GETRAG 6 spd and a 3.26 rear Next issue please
Old 02-20-13, 07:02 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JeffTsai

Nice work no matter what you say or put up, there will always be someone out there HATING ON YOU !!!

Very nicely done congrats on the build and #'s
Old 02-20-13, 07:07 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bippu147
It's not that the Dynojet is most accurate, it's consistent and the industry standard. IMO the Dyno Dynamics is most accurate. The power is just very unrealistic for your cars setup that's all... I just think you ran the car on a very high reading dyno. Run it down the 1/4, with that much power you should be able to beat adamgamz's time.

Reminds me of another guy locally that posted up dyno sheets of an R35 he tuned on a dynapack on stock turbo's, at 2250-2500 rpm @ 8-9 psi making 510ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. How was it even possible for him to make 200 ft/lbs over the factory tune at the same boost level? Then gets mad at everyone for calling him out lol.
Seen that same thing happen several times on a AWD/2wd dyno on a dyno shoot out where a Supra rolled on the car is a solid 1050hp and the cars pulls down 1139 on the same tune even the owner of the car said the dyno was skewed +

OP not trying to knock your thread or the quality of your skills, just that the #'s just don't make sense!!!
Old 02-20-13, 07:22 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Insane I love this GS, I'll race you LOL! Sick car man.
Old 02-20-13, 02:50 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys really if the dyno was messie wessied up or not Jeff still had mad respect.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-20-13 at 02:53 PM. Reason: potty mouth
Old 02-20-13, 03:14 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Seen that same thing happen several times on a AWD/2wd dyno on a dyno shoot out where a Supra rolled on the car is a solid 1050hp and the cars pulls down 1139 on the same tune even the owner of the car said the dyno was skewed +

OP not trying to knock your thread or the quality of your skills, just that the #'s just don't make sense!!!
That's why I want to re-dyno the car at a different facility to double check my numbers. I've said many times in the past I never threw it on a dyno because I judge the cars relative power to other stuff I run against. If I can out run another car with a known HP level or I''m out running a bike with a known power. So if I race against a Corvette with nitrous that he makes 600hp, and if I pull away from it. Then logic should state that I make at least 600 and possibly more because I am at a significant weight disadvantage.

It is usually always against friends of mine, and we do this all the time to get a baseline of each other. Not like we are sand bagging or anything. It's not like if a stock civic raced a ferrari and beat it, but the ferrari wasn't even racing lol. We are all fully in it when it's with just friends.
Old 02-20-13, 04:57 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
That's why I want to re-dyno the car at a different facility to double check my numbers. I've said many times in the past I never threw it on a dyno because I judge the cars relative power to other stuff I run against. If I can out run another car with a known HP level or I''m out running a bike with a known power. So if I race against a Corvette with nitrous that he makes 600hp, and if I pull away from it. Then logic should state that I make at least 600 and possibly more because I am at a significant weight disadvantage.

It is usually always against friends of mine, and we do this all the time to get a baseline of each other. Not like we are sand bagging or anything. It's not like if a stock civic raced a ferrari and beat it, but the ferrari wasn't even racing lol. We are all fully in it when it's with just friends.
I fell where your coming from but I will say from experience a 600 hp auto will give a gear car at 700 hp a hell of a run and the outcome will and has surprised many a 5-6 spd drivers.

Speaking for myself the hp equation on JZ's engines has been done so many times and documented that your particular experience is way outside of normal, Air volume + fuel and proper timing = power Has been an equation that does not lie but can and has been manipulated whether by a dyno operator, gear selection,trans type,converter specs, tire size.

But whatever the outcome you still have the ability to make it go so for that CONGRATS.
Old 02-21-13, 07:09 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No ones "hating." The power doesn't make sense....even Jeff agrees lol.
Old 04-27-13, 07:03 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been doing a lot of research on various ECU setups, and this one is very impressive!

Great power under the curve! Billet wheels rock!

Similar to EMU, the AEM FIC, and MAP2 and 3 will also read boost, and have timing control. "New School" piggy-backs if you will.

About the Dyno discrepancy, allow me (A Certified Land & Sea Eddy Current Load 4WD type) to elaborate.

To figure how much power you are making, you apply HP=(RPM * T) / 5252.

*Engine revolutions, Multiplied by Time, divided by 5252.

*Most dynos cross horsepower and torque at 5252 you will notice.

So basically I just gave you the Algorithm to calculate horsepower.

The ONLY Reason People "Say" Dyno-Jet are the "Most Accurate" is because they were the first chassis dyno to gain industry momentum.

Since they were so popular they implemented "SAE Correction" Which is also known as "STD" or "Standard Correction". These are based at sea level, with horsepower and torque crossing at 5252rpm.

Since every Dyno has a Computer developed by different programs, EVERY Dyno can make use of any correction factor known to man.

Dyno-Jets are not "More" accurate then any other dyno, they only serve the purpose as setting an industry standard, since they were the first.

If anyone from Australia introduced the Dyno to USA, we would all be reading in KW!!

2jz!!!
Old 05-01-13, 08:22 PM
gstreee
Rookie

this gs is fire.....good job. loving the build inside and out