GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

result of changing differential oil -- unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-02, 05:01 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I need to get my tranny fluid changed....my local tire/auto place says for $50 they will take off part of the trany and change the tranny filter...and then soak the piece clean and by doing so gets rid of 80% of the tranny fluid....does Lexus do this? I dought it and for $50??? I'll just buy the fluid then....can I buy it from Toyota? What part number is the tranny filter?
Old 11-02-02, 12:31 PM
bryanb124
Driver School Candidate

Default most of your tranny fluid is in the...

Most of the tranny fluid in an automatic transmission resides in the Torque Converter...that bad boy is hollow and fills right up during use...

good luck
Old 11-02-02, 02:16 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CSHFLW
And I need to get my tranny fluid changed....my local tire/auto place says for $50 they will take off part of the trany and change the tranny filter...and then soak the piece clean and by doing so gets rid of 80% of the tranny fluid....does Lexus do this? I dought it and for $50??? I'll just buy the fluid then....can I buy it from Toyota? What part number is the tranny filter? [QUOTE]

Are you saying they will replace the filter or just clean it? Either way they would have to drop your oil pan to access the filter. I dropped my tranny pan myself. It was a pain in the a$$. I sure wouldn't do it for $50.

For $50, I can see them dropping the pan and just cleaning the old filter and changing the 20% of the oil that will leak out. The factory gasket/sealant to re-install the pan cost me roughly $15. They'll probably use a $4 tube of Permatex instead. Make sure they will guarantee the job from leaking a year from now.

Either way, dropping the pan or just opening the drain plug will not clear out even half of the tranny fluid, it has to be flushed to do it right.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-02-02 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-02-02, 08:46 PM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by ImportFAN
Also where can you buy REDLINE online?
Go to www.redlineoil.com and look up their dealer list or call their toll free number.

Action Autoparts · Lynnwood, WA · 206-546-4818

Dan Press Industries · Vader, WA · 360-295-3436

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-02-02 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-02-02, 09:57 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

For the people that read this thead

make sure you understand that there are TWO different type of oil we are talking about in this thead :

- REDLINE or other type of gear oil is use for the DIFFERENTIAL GEAR only, you only need 2L of oil for this, cost a round $20 for good synthetic oil, there is NO filter to replace, just drain the oil and refill.

- Only use Toyota Type I-IV for the TRANSMISSION (there is NO replacement, cost ~$20 per 4Litters bottles). A complete transmission flush cost close to $100 just for the oil alone, labor and filter are extra. I don't know who can do this for $50. You can change the filter, but that is just a waste of money. I've replaced transmission filter on several japanese car already, after I open the whole thing out, I realized I just wasted all of my time, there is NO need to replace it. the fiter surface area is huge, made of of plastic, you are not gonna clog it ever

2 different things, don't get confuse

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 11-02-02 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-02-02, 10:02 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Does the Lexus need the full flush at 40K miles?

Or just this quick dump which I can do?

Lexus wants $90...is this all they do?
Old 11-02-02, 10:06 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

don't know about the $90 service, call lexus and ask what do they do exactly, if I remember correctly, 1 hr of work is $55 lexus rate, the rest should be the oil cost
Old 11-03-02, 12:29 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

About the full synthetic Mobil 1 engine oil, if it makes you guys feel better, Penske Racing uses this stuff on their CART/IRL cars. This info was from a very reliable source that was a crew in the race support unit. If it's good enough for them, it's probably good enough for my GS. And yes, they pour the same oil that's available retail.

Last edited by whitels; 11-03-02 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-03-02, 01:37 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

So do I put in EXACTLY two quarts for redline diff fluid? Don't want to put too much in....or do I just measure what came out and put that much back in?
Old 11-03-02, 01:41 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Put as much as it will take until it begins to drip out of the filler hole- and that's about 2 quarts +/-.
Old 11-08-02, 11:03 PM
Cosm
Pole Position

Unhappy Clunk ?

I just got my 2 quarts of redline oil and had a shop put it in. They drained it completely and filled it till it started comming back out the fill plug but it did not take the whole 2 qts ? Was it supposed to take the whole 2 qts ? also I noticed that when I go sometimes I will hear a clunk in the rear end ? It happened twice on the way home , I would step on the gas a little and hear a firm clunk ? I got home, went back out and it didn't happen. Went home again and about 2 hours later went back out, well when I went back out the car felt a little laggy backing up from my driveway and when I went to go the car clunked once again ? Could there be not enough oil ? I watched them fill it till it came back out the fill plug. Does the new oil have to warm up first ? I do notice a difference in driving, It feels alot quicker ! But am I to worry about the clunk ?
Old 11-09-02, 03:14 AM
RMMGS4

If anything, the Redline works better than standard oils do during cold starts, so warm up should not be an issue. The diff takes less than 2 quarts; check your manual for it's capacity. If they filled it so that it was leaking out the top hole then it's full. When does the clunk occur, during hard straight line acceleration, turns, what?

Don't know if it's the same clunk you have, but I get it on sharp 90 degree turns coming out of a driveway or street corner. My LSD already did this"before" I changed to Redline, so in my case it's not the oil. In my case the sound is coming from the LSD locking on very tight radius turns, which spins the inside tire just a tad, which causes the clunk sound. It only happens at very low speed on a very sharp turn and if I accelerate hard. Have someone standing outside and watch you take off, while you get the car to clunk and see if they can see a bit of wheelspin.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-09-02 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-09-02, 10:02 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4
... the sound is coming from the LSD locking on very tight radius turns, which spins the inside tire just a tad, which causes the clunk sound. It only happens at very low speed on a very sharp turn and if I accelerate hard.
I get this from my Torsen unit, but the sound is the tire grabbing during the sharp turnes you menioned.

I love to hear it working.
Old 11-09-02, 11:20 AM
Cosm
Pole Position

The clunk happened when I just stepped on the gas and the gear began to lock up then clunk, I let go of the gas because it scared me then tapped on the gas again then clunk once more, let go and waited a sec then step on the gas hard and it didn't happen again until I went backout later that night. It happened as I was backing out of my driveway and started to go then clunk once (but while backing outafter not driveing for 3 hours it felt kind of laggy ? I am not sure if it was because of that or not. Any other ideas ?
Old 11-09-02, 04:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by CSHFLW
Does the Lexus need the full flush at 40K miles?

Or just this quick dump which I can do?

Lexus wants $90...is this all they do?
you supposed to flush the tranny at 30k