GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Toyota UR-series V8 swap in a GS400

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 07:23 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly you can get a 2JZ into V8 territory if you want. Something along the lines of a 60mm billet ball bearing turbo w/ 1.15AR twin scroll back housing. Mate that to a 3400rpm stall torque converter. You will hole shot a lot of v8's out there. I'm actually in the works of building a IS300 to outrun everyone in the 1/8 mile where the domestics dominate.

Anyways, if the 2JZ isn't your cup of tea then your next best bet is to go with a 2UZ 4.7L and do a bore/stroker. The next option is the IS-F engine. Just run a standalone and it will be pretty smooth sailing from there on out.
Old 04-18-12, 01:21 AM
1jzJzz30
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the insight on the seemingly daunting task of an IS-F swap. It seems like running an hot rod Tundra 5.7 maybe the easier route.

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Honestly you can get a 2JZ into V8 territory if you want. Something along the lines of a 60mm billet ball bearing turbo w/ 1.15AR twin scroll back housing. Mate that to a 3400rpm stall torque converter. You will hole shot a lot of v8's out there. I'm actually in the works of building a IS300 to outrun everyone in the 1/8 mile where the domestics dominate.

Anyways, if the 2JZ isn't your cup of tea then your next best bet is to go with a 2UZ 4.7L and do a bore/stroker. The next option is the IS-F engine. Just run a standalone and it will be pretty smooth sailing from there on out.
^ Don't get me wrong, I love and truly respect 2jz swaps. It alone put Toyota on the map in the tuning world. I'm sure you will have zero problems beating up domestic drag racers. But I've been there done that. I'm looking for a newer power source that seems to be almost untapped.

I've read and done research on the 1uz-fe it's time is far gone and power numbers/capabilities are just semi impressive. But I'm a true believer in Toyota engineering, my current 2GS is @ 235k and counting. Runs better then any car I've owned and obviously lasted longer. Sure I could go LSx but could I say the same about reliability, most likely not.

So again 500+ hp before tearing into the motor. N/A or possible TRD factory supercharger configuration. Continuing the 98 Lexus GS legacy to be the fastest production sedan.

Yes I know it's not "production" per say. But by Euro standards it is. Case in point: AMG uses other merc powerplants with larger displacement, sometimes factory supercharges it and then call it an AMG. Which is sold at a MB showroom and called "Production." So I plan to apply the same theory. Call it GS-F...or GS570 maybe.
Old 04-19-12, 07:49 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

ISF I think would prove a little more daunting than the Tundra motor. Trying to remember now, but is the ISF direct injection? Beyond that though, the VVTi on is electronically controlled versus your more typical OCV set. Maybe not an issue, but less 'history' to cheat from. Then there's the availability concerns.

Though back to the thought of reliable. I'd look into the history of Tundra's w/ the SC setups and rod longevity.

The UR's are pretty stout motors, but they're not invincible. One thing I'd also look into is how much power you can potentially make out of it. Keep in mind it's a good flowing 5.7L yet it doesn't make a boat load of power/ ie; it's full potential. There's so more to be uncorked from it even in NA form with some tuning...
Old 04-21-12, 01:44 AM
1jzJzz30
Driver

Originally Posted by Hardrvin
ISF I think would prove a little more daunting than the Tundra motor. Trying to remember now, but is the ISF direct injection? Beyond that though, the VVTi on is electronically controlled versus your more typical OCV set. Maybe not an issue, but less 'history' to cheat from. Then there's the availability concerns.

Though back to the thought of reliable. I'd look into the history of Tundra's w/ the SC setups and rod longevity.

The UR's are pretty stout motors, but they're not invincible. One thing I'd also look into is how much power you can potentially make out of it. Keep in mind it's a good flowing 5.7L yet it doesn't make a boat load of power/ ie; it's full potential. There's so more to be uncorked from it even in NA form with some tuning...
Thanks and I fully agree with you.
Old 04-21-12, 08:40 AM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

This is gonna be good either way. Everytime I come through "The Big Juice" I'm always amazed at what I see under the hood. 1J in mk3 Supra back in 99, then 1J in 5 series BMW and Maz B series truck in 2004, then 1J in 240sx in 2005 etc etc etc. Keep it coming......
Old 04-21-12, 09:26 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I got a stupid question...what will be the hp and tq numbers of a trd supercharged tundra motor. Reason being is because the guys that have superchargers on their rather stock GS4 engines are putting down anyware from 450 - 500hp (crank). Sounds like you're going through a lot of trouble just to be different IMHO. I dont see the benefit. Now a 2jz swap, different story because its been proven to make far more power than the aforementioned. The ISF motor produces what, 420 at the crank? Only way that would be worth while is if you throw in the ISF tranny as well since its so efficient. Good luck in whatever route you choose.
Old 04-21-12, 10:43 PM
1jzJzz30
Driver

504hp and 550tq stock and factory backed. Power before cams, ported SC, headers, etc... I've yet to see a stock gs400 hit 500hp, most have rod failure @ 450. While the Tundra TRD SC swap being considered stock to the point its factory backed with a warranty, and 50 state legal.
Old 04-22-12, 09:27 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1jzJzz30
504hp and 550tq stock and factory backed. Power before cams, ported SC, headers, etc... I've yet to see a stock gs400 hit 500hp, most have rod failure @ 450. While the Tundra TRD SC swap being considered stock to the point its factory backed with a warranty, and 50 state legal.
Really? Look up Mr johnson, he had the SRT stage 3 SC kit that I have now. He dyno'd around 406whp and ~375wtq on stock internals without the use of headers and he said it ran great! There you have a little over 500hp (crank). Also, look up RMMGS4; I believe he is pushing a lot of power (500hp+) with his RMM kit and some other goodies on stock internals iirc. Also, keep in mind, you bring up a factory backed warranty with that SC'd Tundra motor but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT Toyota or TRD will honor this warrant if the motor is swapped into anything other than a Toyota Tundra. I would just iron that stuff out first before I use the warranty item as a positive to go that route.
Old 04-22-12, 11:36 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Lol....warranty is overrated anyways

The main advantage of bigger V8 displacement(especially on a well designed engine) is that you can run a lot of HP on low boost with lesser octane fuel(staying on 93 octane instead of having to run alcohol or race fuel). My car on pump gas only makes around 550-600whp @ 19-20psi. On E85 I pushed it to over 800whp and it still probably had about another 100hp left in it if I went up to 35psi.

On the other hand a V8 for example a LS2 has 6.0L to work with. That's double the displacment of a 2JZ. If you build the engine for boost with lowered compression forged pistons, that engine can hit 800hp on pump gas at only around 15psi or so. Now with that in mind, the corvette engine is not the greatest engine in terms of efficiency. A lot of wasted flow in the head due to the 2 valve design. If they went with a V8 4 valve such as in the Toyota or new Ford 5.0(basically a Toyota engine in disguise, if you look around carefully there are a lot of Denso parts used on it lol!) engines, then there would be even more power to be found with boost.
Old 04-22-12, 02:22 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

The main advantage of bigger V8 displacement(especially on a well designed engine) is that you can run a lot of HP on low boost with lesser octane fuel(staying on 93 octane instead of having to run alcohol or race fuel). My car on pump gas only makes around 550-600whp @ 19-20psi. On E85 I pushed it to over 800whp and it still probably had about another 100hp left in it if I went up to 35psi.
100% this and why I own my GS. I had a Suby that was just about ***** to walls previously. But there's only so much 2.5L trying to flow through 16 valves will manage. I hit the limitation of 93 octane and didn't like it. Although 0.5L may not seem like much, by % it's a good chunk of change, plus 24 valves to flow in/out and the knock threshold moves up a fair amount.

Now with that said, yes I looked at building a twin turbo LS based setup but just couldn't find what I wanted for a good value with 4 doors.
Old 04-22-12, 08:37 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Lol....warranty is overrated anyways

On the other hand a V8 for example a LS2 has 6.0L to work with. That's double the displacment of a 2JZ. If you build the engine for boost with lowered compression forged pistons, that engine can hit 800hp on pump gas at only around 15psi or so. Now with that in mind, the corvette engine is not the greatest engine in terms of efficiency. A lot of wasted flow in the head due to the 2 valve design. If they went with a V8 4 valve such as in the Toyota or new Ford 5.0(basically a Toyota engine in disguise, if you look around carefully there are a lot of Denso parts used on it lol!) engines, then there would be even more power to be found with boost.
Jeff, I hear what you are saying and of course a larger displacement engine will make more power than a smaller one if both are boosted...but thats not the point here. The point that I was talking about is a 4.7L trd supercharged engine vs a 4.0/4.3L RMM or SRT supercharged engine. All setups will yield similar outputs so my point was why go through the headache of buying a tundra engine swapping it in a GS and throwing on a trd supercharger. He already has a V8 Lexus engine, he can still work it pretty good for the power levels that he's trying to achieve. Yes, he may get some more hp and tq from the sc'd tundra engine but look at how expensive that route will be. May as well just visit Lextreme and have them build a high performance short block, dont they sell a stroker kit too for the V8 GS engines? I think the Lextreme setups are sick, and this is what I would do if I had the dough. Hey, the tundra swap is a cool idea though, have heard it many times over the years...not making fun of the op at all. Just giving some feedback and a different point of view.
Old 04-25-12, 07:49 PM
Hardrvin
Driver

He's not talking about a 4.7 Tundra motor aka 2uz. He's talking UR based motor, 5.7 of overhead cam goodness.

They make close to 600 as I recall when supercharged.