GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: So which grill should it be?
JP Grill
67.35%
Jzsinternational Grill
32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

So what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 07:37 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
whats next? you sending it back?
not to that guy.....i wanna send it to the company who did the rim.i didnt send it to them because they dont de-chrome. the original plan was to send it to the bjs chrome guy, have him de-chrome it and then send it to the other company then when i found out the guy who was gonna de-chrome it also did black chroming i figured ok cool a stop shop so to speak. i checked out his ebay feedback. his online reviews and i sent it to him for a price of $150 + shipping and a 2 week lead time to do it.

i called him about 1 week later just to make sure he had received it as he hadn't called me back for payment yet....he told me he did have it and then told me it was going to the place to get worked on this week and would be done by then end of the week. he would call me back for payment when it got to the company.....i was confused though as he told me he was doing this but now is outsourcing my grill. so he calls me back a week later to get payment when he tells me it will be $450 , i was like um no we agreed on $150, so he tells me he has to go back and check the invoices and he will call me back. 2 days later he does call me back and tells me he indeed had pulled the wrong invoice (although the invoice he originally read to me was for de-chroming a grill and then re-chroming it in black chrome so i think he lied.) he tells me cant do it for the $150 as its gonna cost him $200 so we split the difference and settle for $175.i make payment and am told it will be ready in 3 days,ok then...

5 days later i try tracking the tracking # i gave him (i supplied him with a UPS return label so all he had to do was box it and attach this to ship it back to me), when the tracking # shows no info i call him. he tells me he will be at the shop later and he will call me back when he gets there. he doesnt but instead i get a email that night (that i posted previously)

"Your grille needs to be redone, I was told the finish cracked on the top edge so it has to be stripped and redone. We're looking at Tuesday-ish now. Sorry this has taken a little longer than expected. Let me know if you have any questions"

Tuesday comes and goes so i start trying to track it again on wed/thurs, when there was no tracking info i call him thurs morning and ask him if this has shipped yet as no tracking info is showing on it still. his response " oh i think that shipped, i'll be at the company later and will call you back and let you know." i wait till 6pm my time which i think is 4pm his time to call him back as he hasnt returned my phone call yet. he answers and tells me he picked it up and it will go out today....which it didnt, but it went out the next day and then i got it and wasnt happy with it. i was happy just getting back as i dont wanna ever deal with this guy again...i mean he had it for almost 1 and a half months and it looks like crap up close IMHO. from 1-2 feet away it looks awesome but closer than that you can see its flaws

tomorrow, i think i will call the rim company i wanted to send it to first and see if they suggest or recommend anyone to de-chrome this before sending it back to them to be redone
Old 10-14-12, 08:06 PM
Sonic_RC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

bro that sucks!! have you ever considered stripping the chrome and do a high polish on the grille and seal it with a grey clear coat? It should come out like black chrome and can be wet sanded to eliminate any ripple orange peel
Old 10-14-12, 08:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

hope you get it sorted out.. for that kind of money it should be perfect.. GL brian
Old 10-15-12, 12:32 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YaKuZa_GS
bro that sucks!! have you ever considered stripping the chrome and do a high polish on the grille and seal it with a grey clear coat? It should come out like black chrome and can be wet sanded to eliminate any ripple orange peel
no i hadn't cause isn't de-chroming also a electronic process just like chroming is? whats the long term upkeep on that?

Originally Posted by tmf2004
hope you get it sorted out.. for that kind of money it should be perfect.. GL brian
thanks tony, i know its ridiculous some of these companies now-a-days
Old 10-23-12, 12:45 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

still working on this, talked to to Lee (Nar8ta) and spoke to his guy George @ http://www.exotics-inc.com (the same guy who did the body work for Zeb, Vlad, fixing to be Lee and a few others) really good dude, he referred me to deal directly with his guy in NY who does chroming.....that guys name was Al. i seriously almost hung up the phone on Al after talking to him for close to 10 mins when he gave me a price of $750 BWAHAHAHAHA i guess when he heard the word Lexus he thought i was gonna pay almost more than what the grill cost me to have it done. From their i talked to http://www.americanpvd.com/ again but they said if this was originally chrome dipped & dechromed that the chemical process would interfere with their powder coating process so he referred me to http://www.chrometechusa.com/ so im waiting to hear back from them.....

im confused now though as 2 of these companies both said chrome doesnt "run" (which i always thought could) so now im thinking maybe my grill was black chrome powder coated....instead of actually being chromed.

anyways im sticking to this as i wanna redo so we'll see
Old 11-30-12, 12:20 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

im done messing with this grill....dont wanna put anymore time/money/effort into getting a better black chrome done.... if i keep it i will powdercoat it but im so frustrated ATM i really think im just gonna sell it