GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

CRACKED radiator which leads to BLOWN head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 01:37 AM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry CRACKED radiator which leads to BLOWN head gasket

Oh man, what a bad week. I'm having writers block right now so I'm taking a "break"

Anyways, I usually check my oil and fluids every weekend because I daily my car a lot and being that it's an older car. But there were two weeks where I didn't check anything. So one day I checked and I saw fluids sprayed all over my car. Saw that it was a crack radiator. Didn't know how long it has been cracked. But the weird thing is, the temperature in my car never showed me that it overheated

SO, I got that fixed. Everything seemed to be okay. Didn't drive my car for two days, and my car didn't want to start. Thought it was a number of things. Until I saw grey smoke come out. My heart sank.

Well, I was going to buy a used 2jzge (delivered for $650) to swap in and rebuild my current one. But it was sold before I was able to purchase it. Most would call it a day, but I'm going to fix it. I love this car too much

rebuilding the block now!
Attached Thumbnails CRACKED radiator which leads to BLOWN head gasket-imag0173.jpg   CRACKED radiator which leads to BLOWN head gasket-imag0170.jpg  
Old 04-21-12, 09:10 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Car cant get a blown head gasket without overheating..
Old 04-21-12, 12:16 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When the radiator was refilled it probably wasn't refilled properly and you ended up being low on coolant leading to you overheating. Either that or you didn't bleed the system properly of air. Either or.... tough luck.
Old 04-21-12, 04:23 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Car cant get a blown head gasket without overheating..
No, I know. I just didn't have signs of overheating. Or maybe I don't know the signs besides steam from engine or thermostat.

Originally Posted by repugnante
When the radiator was refilled it probably wasn't refilled properly and you ended up being low on coolant leading to you overheating. Either that or you didn't bleed the system properly of air. Either or.... tough luck.
Yeah, it could be anything. But I think the cracked radiator is mostly to blame.
Old 04-21-12, 05:13 PM
sgvGS3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang in there bro. Stick thru it and you will be rolling in no time.
Old 04-21-12, 07:42 PM
justablkv8
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not get a ge; and drop some pistons rods etc?
Old 04-22-12, 11:03 AM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sgvGS3
Hang in there bro. Stick thru it and you will be rolling in no time.
Lol, thanks Brandon. Did you ever sell your wheels?

Originally Posted by justablkv8
Why not get a ge; and drop some pistons rods etc?
gte? I was thinking about it!
Old 04-22-12, 11:24 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I think he meant to get a spare GE block and drop GTE piston/rods into it, or just rebuild yours. Really no point to buy a whole GTE shortblock if you already have everything disassembled. If you were in TX I could turnaround that block for you within a week lol. That's including machine work. My friend owns a machine shop and he bumps me to the front of the waiting list if I request a rush.

One thing to watch out for if you rebuild the engine. Make sure the head's deck surface is not warped. That's what usually causes the headgasket to blow. The overheating causes the aluminum head to soften and deform/warp. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give the blocks deck surface a check over as well. The block is cast iron, and doesn't warp until a much higher temperature threshold but still doesn't hurt to double check. The last thing you want is to reinstall everything just to blow another headgasket down the road because either the head or blocks deck surface was warped.

Did you make sure your coolant temp sensor is working? Might want to get that checked or replaced while you have the head off the car(easy to change it out with head removed).

Anyways, good luck in getting everything back together. I've built so many of these that I could do it blindfolded lol. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email.
Old 04-22-12, 12:47 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure your car overheated? Did you see steam come out from under the hood? Smoke coming from the exhaust is usually a sign of a blown head gasket, but it's strange you never saw your car act funny.
My car overheated on 3 different occasions, to the point where I would see steam come out, but it never damaged the engine.

Last edited by EN_VY; 04-22-12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-22-12, 05:11 PM
sgvGS3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=fuzzzz;7180953]Lol, thanks Brandon. Did you ever sell your wheels?

Haha actually I got a couple of offers but I ended up wrapping them in some 452's last week and picked up some lp's. After I get back from my cruise I'll be throwing everything on
Old 04-23-12, 06:58 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i remember when my radiator had a crack, i have a 01 gs430 and it didn't show me any signs of overheating (no temperature gauge nothing ) i quickly ordered a new radiator and a new cap.

when i was unscrewing the old cap, i noticed a piece of the rubber silicone around the cap was missing a piece. after i drained out the old radiator i found the missing piece.

make sure you cap it tightly! and dont buy no generaic brands! the oem one is only a few dollars more!
Old 04-23-12, 12:41 PM
fuzzzz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I think he meant to get a spare GE block and drop GTE piston/rods into it, or just rebuild yours. Really no point to buy a whole GTE shortblock if you already have everything disassembled. If you were in TX I could turnaround that block for you within a week lol. That's including machine work. My friend owns a machine shop and he bumps me to the front of the waiting list if I request a rush.

One thing to watch out for if you rebuild the engine. Make sure the head's deck surface is not warped. That's what usually causes the headgasket to blow. The overheating causes the aluminum head to soften and deform/warp. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give the blocks deck surface a check over as well. The block is cast iron, and doesn't warp until a much higher temperature threshold but still doesn't hurt to double check. The last thing you want is to reinstall everything just to blow another headgasket down the road because either the head or blocks deck surface was warped.

Did you make sure your coolant temp sensor is working? Might want to get that checked or replaced while you have the head off the car(easy to change it out with head removed).

Anyways, good luck in getting everything back together. I've built so many of these that I could do it blindfolded lol. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email.
Yeah, I've followed many of your posts and seen your videos. I wouldn't be surprised if you can rebuild these engines blindflonded! Yeah, I'm in the process of rebuilding it now. My uncle owns a shop and he's helping/teaching me how to do everything right now.

I'm most likely going to replace some of the sensors. Apparently I might need to change my spark plugs too. Oh booooy. Of course, if I get stuck on something I'll shoot you an e-mail. I wish I was living in Texas right now!

Originally Posted by EN_VY
Are you sure your car overheated? Did you see steam come out from under the hood? Smoke coming from the exhaust is usually a sign of a blown head gasket, but it's strange you never saw your car act funny.
My car overheated on 3 different occasions, to the point where I would see steam come out, but it never damaged the engine.
Yeah, it's really weird. Usually I catch that stuff really fast. I had a bunch of crappy, broken down cars prior to this, so I'm usually on the lookout LOL. But no, I never noticed anything different.

Originally Posted by neegroy
i remember when my radiator had a crack, i have a 01 gs430 and it didn't show me any signs of overheating (no temperature gauge nothing ) i quickly ordered a new radiator and a new cap.

when i was unscrewing the old cap, i noticed a piece of the rubber silicone around the cap was missing a piece. after i drained out the old radiator i found the missing piece.

make sure you cap it tightly! and dont buy no generaic brands! the oem one is only a few dollars more!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-30-12, 06:42 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neegroy

neegroy- I have an '01 GS430, also. My radiator had a crack in it, due getting hit in the front. I drove the car for a few months with it cracked! (which has me concerned, NOW) Well, I finally just had the entire front end repainted and a new radiator installed... and the car was perfect for the past month or so. Last week it overheated...

I had a really good shop here in Pgh look at it and they went over the ENTIRE system, and after NOT being able to fix it, they've come up with "Head Gaskets are leaking...and need replaced" OR "the Waterpump isn't working somehow"

I'm thinking the Head Gaskets are blown... but until last week, the car has NEVER overheated... and as soon I noticed the temp gauge near the "H", I immediatedly turned it off (luckily it crept up there and started overheating as I pulling into the driveway)

Could a cracked radiator lead to bad (leaking) head gasket/s !?