GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 09:52 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 280 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k4CamkilA
MY CAR DOESN'T GO INTO PROGRAMMING MODE. IT NEVER CYCLES THE LOCKS. i'M DOING THE SAME WAY THE WRITE UP SAYS. I EVEN WATCH SPEEDKAR'S VIDEO ON YOUTUBE WHILE I DID. MY CAR NEVER CYCLED THE LOCKS. BEFORE HAND I JUST PROGRAMMED THE NEW KEY TO THE IGNITION
Did you manually lock/unlock the doors with the inside door lock? If i remember right if you use the electric switch and the door lock actuators are weak it won't go into program mode so you need to use the manual lock
Old 03-01-16, 11:39 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to do it manually by the lock and it still wouldn't go into programming mode
Old 03-01-16, 01:40 PM
ShunDoe
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexo98
Did you manually lock/unlock the doors with the inside door lock? If i remember right if you use the electric switch and the door lock actuators are weak it won't go into program mode so you need to use the manual lock
I believe this has some truth to it. I tried programming the key to the ecu to start up the car and was successful but when I tried to program the lock/unlock/trunk it wouldn't cycle all the way through and that's due to weak actuators. Those are about $50 a piece that last time I checked
Old 03-01-16, 01:42 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys are all replacing lost keys correct? Can I just replace the black case on my key? I have a viper alarm that locks my doors, so I don't really need all the programming stuff. Case is cracking and is being held together by black electrical tape :P

Doubt reprogramming a key would work since my actuators are basically shot and need to be fixed before I try it.
Old 03-01-16, 01:45 PM
ShunDoe
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusK
You guys are all replacing lost keys correct? Can I just replace the black case on my key? I have a viper alarm that locks my doors, so I don't really need all the programming stuff. Case is cracking and is being held together by black electrical tape :P
You can find those on eBay for no more that $10-15. I have a push start on my 2GS that come with keyless entry and proximity unlock, but I got an extra Lexus oem key made just in case.
Old 03-01-16, 01:49 PM
ShunDoe
Rookie

Doubt reprogramming a key would work since my actuators are basically shot and need to be fixed before I try it.
I haven't tried it but I'm thinking about it. Which ever door look has the actuator problem, maybe have some help you out and lock and unlock that door as you follow the steps to program the lock and unlock
Old 03-01-16, 06:39 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The descriptions on ebay say to transfer the internals to the new key and have the blade cut. Is it possible to just take off the old case and put the new one on? A lot of reviews say that the new blade is not a good match...
Old 03-01-16, 07:52 PM
ShunDoe
Rookie

The descriptions on ebay say to transfer the internals to the new key and have the blade cut. Is it possible to just take off the old case and put the new one on? A lot of reviews say that the new blade is not a good match...
That is possible with the button part of the remote, I'm not so sure when it come to the key. If you do have to get a key cut Lexus charges $35. But I would say see what you can find on YouTube university about swapping them out
Old 03-07-16, 06:25 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Goosesedan
so my question is this, i just bought a Lexus Gs 300 and it only came with 1 valet key, the key doesn't open the trunk, how do i get a new key to be able to start the car, open the trunk, and keyless entry without going to the dealership?. Thanks
You will have to virginize your ECU or Transponder ECU's EEPROM where the keys are stored to put the car into auto-programming mode to accept new master keys.

Please check out my video and DIY writeup below on how to do this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...apped-ecu.html

Old 03-10-16, 11:40 AM
xxjeffxx
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! i'll keep this in mind when I get a new key!
Old 03-16-16, 02:14 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Programming a Valet Key?

I've read the thread, yet don't see how to program a valet key. The only instructions are programming an additional master key.

Did I miss the instructions, are they not known, or is there a resource to get these instructions?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-16, 04:49 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I've read the thread, yet don't see how to program a valet key. The only instructions are programming an additional master key.

Did I miss the instructions, are they not known, or is there a resource to get these instructions?

Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken you can't program valet keys because it shouldn't have a transponder(the computer with lock buttons).
Old 03-17-16, 05:53 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Originally Posted by GS3KID
If I'm not mistaken you can't program valet keys because it shouldn't have a transponder(the computer with lock buttons).
You can't program valet keys for RKE (if they lack the transponder, ok, yes people have programmed RKE keys as valet keys, which is kind of counter-intuitive...), yet it would seem to make sense that you have to program the ECM. Having a key that can't open the glove box or trunk, and that can't be used to program another key to the ECM, yet that can start the car, has value.

Local dealership wants for a valet $55 (if in stock) or $75 (if they have to order it), and $60 (1/2-hour) to program it as a valet. Found a genuine blank (dealership) on eBay for $32, will have it cut locally. Still trying to find the programming instructions for using a master to make a valet... master to master is all over the place, yet no master to valet. All else fails, I'll pay the $60 to have a true valet key programmed by the dealership.

Last edited by sbagdon; 03-23-16 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 03:36 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Default No luck with keys and remotes

'98 GS400.

Received the master and valet key yesterday. Had the master cut by a local locksmith, and tried to program the master with the original master, and just can't get it to program. Probably tried 20x... insert/no-turn existing master, security light goes out, gas 5x, brake 6x, remove existing master, insert new master, gas 1x. The security light stays out, then about 10sec later the security light starts blinking, as if it is out of programming mode. The blinking never stops, so it doesn't appear to be programming. Tried 20x, different pace/speed, etc, just can't get it to work... thoughts?

Also, can't put the KRE in to programming mode, tried as many times, the locks never cycle once, after the key-to-on-then-remove. again.. what am I doing wrong?

Funny thing is... I can at least set the seat memories. So the mirrors / steering wheel / seat will go to their assigned locations. At least that works...
Old 03-30-16, 02:23 PM
cstrong45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The write up works, however to get the remote programmed I had to use the Master Key with the programming in it. The last step was to push the lock and unlock buttons on the NEW key...it worked just great.

The ignition programming was fine too, just have to make sure you stomp on the gas pedal and brake very fast.

Quick Reply: KEY PROGRAMMING for 98-05 gs300 400 430