GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sell the GS??? why? because race car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 03:47 AM
1jzJzz30
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell the GS??? why? because race car.

Hey CL I'm currently debating on selling/parting out my GS4. (on the fence still) I just picked up a new econo DD and got bitten by the race bug again. I won't lie it most likely has everything to with the new DD. (Fiat 500) The car is slow but nimble and semi fun to drive. It reminds me of my old 240/civic/miata days... just way slower.

The GS has tons of miles and I've always wanted to do something more with it. The giant finally gets to sleep and rest it does in my garage. I've always envisioned the D1 HKS Aristo when wanting to move forward with it. Problem is every time I do some spirited driving in it, well it just feels too heavy with more of a tendency to slide rather than grip. (suspension not dialed in, just standard ride height DD stuff)

My solution or option I'm tossing around is: Sell the GS buy a cheap 97-98 240sx or 92-95 civic hatchback and go to work. I ultimately want a auto x / track day race car. Yes I could do the same with the GS, but I feel it's such a shame to tear such a fantastic car down.

Does anyone track a GS?
Old 05-02-12, 03:54 AM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahahah! keep the GS man. there are members here that build their GSs for racing...umm JeffTsai's got one of the craziest engine builds, check his threads out.
Old 05-02-12, 04:05 AM
1jzJzz30
Driver

Originally Posted by Lextasy671
hahahah! keep the GS man. there are members here that build their GSs for racing...umm JeffTsai's got one of the craziest engine builds, check his threads out.
Thanks and yes I have read his treads. It seems most "track" GS's are Drag/Street monsters. I'd like to see if it worth trying to road race a GS. The only thing I've found so far is the Team Lexus GS's from way back in 2006-2008.(for sale)
Old 05-02-12, 04:20 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Why be like everyone else man? A civic, a 240? ugh

Be unique......

And you won't have to tear down the GS to autox.....drag race.....or get it sideways......its a few minor adjustments with the suspension and beef up the engine......or do a swap.....

Also, a fiat 500 is a chicks car......much like a scion TC......and well most scions.....lol
Old 05-02-12, 04:22 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The GS is a great car, but it's still a heavy car. You can try your best to fight physics, but in the end you still have to abide by its rules. Two objects with different masses, the one with less weight will have less resistance to change in force. I chose the GS platform not because it is easy route out like a 240,miata,s2k,etc, but rather because it is unique. If you are planning to build it for all out competition autocross, then you chose the wrong car. However, if you just want something to have fun in then you have something going for you. Something about attending events normally populated by cars that are 2 classes smaller just garners respect from the crowd. The other dime a dozen cars are just that to most people. I guarantee that if you do take the GS out to track day, it will be one of the cars people line up to watch. So make sure your driving skills are honed

When I goto the track, most people just brush it off as another sedan with rims on it. After I make the first blast down, the people start getting curious. Just a fair warning though, you will be spending a LOT of extra money since this car is more on the unique side when it comes to racing and performance. Much of the stuff will be all custom fabricated when you start pushing the limits. If it's mild stuff, then you're good to go with off the shelf parts.
Old 05-02-12, 04:29 AM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
snip
Sending you a PM.

Your PM box is full, bra~
Old 05-02-12, 05:32 AM
Zoilus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1jzJzz30
Hey CL I'm currently debating on selling/parting out my GS4. (on the fence still) I just picked up a new econo DD and got bitten by the race bug again. I won't lie it most likely has everything to with the new DD. (Fiat 500) The car is slow but nimble and semi fun to drive. It reminds me of my old 240/civic/miata days... just way slower.

The GS has tons of miles and I've always wanted to do something more with it. The giant finally gets to sleep and rest it does in my garage. I've always envisioned the D1 HKS Aristo when wanting to move forward with it. Problem is every time I do some spirited driving in it, well it just feels too heavy with more of a tendency to slide rather than grip. (suspension not dialed in, just standard ride height DD stuff)

My solution or option I'm tossing around is: Sell the GS buy a cheap 97-98 240sx or 92-95 civic hatchback and go to work. I ultimately want a auto x / track day race car. Yes I could do the same with the GS, but I feel it's such a shame to tear such a fantastic car down.

Does anyone track a GS?
To ultimately Decide what you want, you have to set some concrete guidelines... first..... define YOUR version of race and Auto X !

Do you want to be the best at BOTH categories? Do you want to be able to just beat the people who put a fart can muffler and a few stickers and now think they have 84 Nascar cup championnships? What is your competition?

Im fortunate enough now in my life to have a few cars... The GS3 and a 691rwhp 02 Camaro Z28. I can tell you right now that it's a whole different ballgame being in the 10 and 9 second class than oh lets say 13+ sec class. I would never expect nor want to get GS in that range because it is NOT designed for that. I also know that if I want to go into the 8's and beyond, the daily driveablity of my Z will be gone.

When it comes to Auto X HP and torque is not everything, extreme handling/suspension etc is equally if not more important than anything else. This means some serious $$$$ too.

So ask yourself some of the listed above questions. Ultimately it comes down to how seriously and realistically you take racing/auto Xing, what the competition in your area is like, how much $$$ are you willing to spend...etc etc.

If you want to compete in the big cities/areas where the competition is fierce, ....then forget about even having both. Because the fastest car at the track is never the fastest Auto X'er because each champ has their car specifically tailored to each thing;.

Either way, if your goal is to take out the locals in a small town/area, then you could tailor your GS for both and probably have success. But if you want to play with the bigger boys, the price is steep and the GS is not the candidate for either. I love my GS to death, but I won't even begin to pretend it's something it isn't.

Good luck with what you decide either way.
Old 05-02-12, 09:59 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't blame you and I'm considering doing the same. I used to road race, got out of it, and getting the itch again.

Honda's are obviously an inexpensive and track reliable option. However I don't find the FWD's too much fun on track (don't get me wrong, I still have a soft side for them having built Honda Challenge cars for a bit).

I'd really look at the Miata, 240, or consider a E30 or E36 BMW. All are good "drivers cars," well supported at the track, and have the ability to grow with you.
Old 05-02-12, 10:03 AM
SureShot
Rookie

Originally Posted by SSxblazer
Sending you a PM.

Your PM box is full, bra~
gotta email him, per his sig
Old 05-02-12, 11:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

OP who are you and what goodies do you have to sell if u part....
Old 05-02-12, 12:20 PM
13loody
Pole Position

I know where you're coming from. I bought my girl a Mazda2 a year ago and it's a hell of a fun car. I find myself prefering to take her car out to the beach (1.5 hour drive) mainly because it's so light. It's much more fun for me to throw the Mazda2 around corners than it is with the GS4.

You've got a tough decision, but my suggestion is to wait for the BRZ/FR-S ;-)
Old 05-02-12, 01:15 PM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
OP who are you and what goodies do you have to sell if u part....
This made me laugh brian, you will never change!! LOL
Old 05-02-12, 01:35 PM
donmeca719
Driver School Candidate

sucks to hear you want to get rid of it. i understand the need for speed, hopefully you make the right decision for yourself. good luck !!
Old 05-02-12, 02:28 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BBRolex
This made me laugh brian, you will never change!! LOL
i mean i didnt mean it in a bad way....although i did think about it l8r that it might rub him wrong but what i mean was....

i dont recall really seeing you around as your not a active member so im not familiar with you or your car so i dunno if its worth keeping/parting or selling as a whole.

PLUS we all know i love to buy parts
Old 05-02-12, 03:36 PM
1jzJzz30
Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
if you just want something to have fun in then you have something going for you. Something about attending events normally populated by cars that are 2 classes smaller just garners respect from the crowd. The other dime a dozen cars are just that to most people. I guarantee that if you do take the GS out to track day, it will be one of the cars people line up to watch. So make sure your driving skills are honed

When I goto the track, most people just brush it off as another sedan with rims on it. After I make the first blast down, the people start getting curious. Just a fair warning though, you will be spending a LOT of extra money since this car is more on the unique side when it comes to racing and performance. Much of the stuff will be all custom fabricated when you start pushing the limits. If it's mild stuff, then you're good to go with off the shelf parts.
I think I will go this route. After all you are right, you always show up to the track with something everyone else has. Not to mention I've already been there done that with other cars. As far as the cost, TBH it's all relative: seeing how I've dumped +6k and up into suspension setups in miatas, 240s, BMWs and civics. I will say a huge benefit of driving these cars during a track day is the community when you break. I've always had luck with people bringing spares if I didn't have one.

I'm going to continue with my small part out and start heading down the "track" route.

My last track car was a e46 BMW on AST 5100's with M/// Factory suspension upgrades. (330i Sedan)

Quick Reply: Sell the GS??? why? because race car.