GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help me to get these headers to fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 12:56 PM
philv4572
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me to get these headers to fit

Bought a top speed header and mounted it last night. Honestly I didn't expect it to fit so well, but It is about 1/3 inch too short to reach stock y-pipe. I can bolt it up but its just short enough where there still is an exhaust leak. I'm using the stock gasket since it is thicker. Any suggestions to get this to fit?? I don't think I need to weld an extension. Help guys!
Old 05-05-12, 02:48 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a thicker gasket to make up the difference or a thicker flange muffler shop should be able get it setup for you.
Old 05-05-12, 03:02 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you apply torque to the nuts and bolts does it pull the exhaust closer to header? the exhaust should connect to rubber which should connect to the car, and i feel you might be able to stretch the rubber perhaps, since its only 1/3 an inch. get a friend to help pull the exhaust closer to the header
Old 05-05-12, 04:00 PM
philv4572
Driver School Candidate

I put as much torque as I could on the bolts an it's still leaking. I even loosed the bolts from the end of the y-pipe. Gonna go to autozone tonight and see if I can double or triple up on gaskets and see if that fixes the leak.
Old 05-05-12, 05:04 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

for a temporary fix, you could wrap foil or a can around where the leak is. this is definitely not ideal but again its temporary until you fix it.
Old 05-05-12, 05:09 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ProperD
if you apply torque to the nuts and bolts does it pull the exhaust closer to header? the exhaust should connect to rubber which should connect to the car, and i feel you might be able to stretch the rubber perhaps, since its only 1/3 an inch. get a friend to help pull the exhaust closer to the header
I will take this post a bit farther......

Unhook cat back exhaust......put the heads on......and piece by piece put on the exhaust.....

It should fit.....1/3 inch is easy to find when rubber hangers are being used....
Old 05-05-12, 05:19 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SSxblazer

Unhook cat back exhaust......put the heads on......and piece by piece put on the exhaust.....

It should fit.....1/3 inch is easy to find when rubber hangers are being used....
^^^ Yes.. Disconnect the mid-pipe completely from the rear half of the exhaust and bolt the double pipe flange mount to the headers correctly, then pull the rear ypipe forward to mate to the rear of the mid-pipe. The rear y swings on two rubber hangers, and the mufflers hang from four rubber donuts. You can get like 2 inches of movement back and forth from those..

I assume your doing this on the ground, which can make the process a bit more difficult, but on a lift it's easy-breezy to move the entire exhaust system back and forth it should have plenty of adjustability..
Old 05-05-12, 05:47 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
^^^ Yes.. Disconnect the mid-pipe completely from the rear half of the exhaust and bolt the double pipe flange mount to the headers correctly, then pull the rear ypipe forward to mate to the rear of the mid-pipe. The rear y swings on two rubber hangers, and the mufflers hang from four rubber donuts. You can get like 2 inches of movement back and forth from those..

I assume your doing this on the ground, which can make the process a bit more difficult, but on a lift it's easy-breezy to move the entire exhaust system back and forth it should have plenty of adjustability..
Something I just thought of too.....you can hammer the welded hangers too to move it back towards the headers too no???
Old 05-05-12, 06:56 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SSxblazer

I wanted to say the same thing but didn't know if he was able to support/take off the system himself
Old 05-05-12, 07:30 PM
philv4572
Driver School Candidate

Long story short.... The Headers weren't angled correctly where it meets y- pipe so I had to double up on feltpro gaskets for one port and use a thick feltpro gasket for other side. Worked out great!! No leaks and sounds mean. In the end you get what you pay for ....... Lesson learned.