GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Look at this tire.....what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 04:58 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Look at this tire.....what should i do?

well like i said i noticed that the inside of the tires were bad on both fronts earlier today. went and got new tires but passed on the alignment. the reason being, i just got an alignment on 5/21 at the dealership when i got my l-tuned put on. so i go to hennessey of atlanta and speak to my SC. i show him both tires. first he tried to blame it on my suspension. duh, L-Tuned. he tells me that it has been almost 6 mos and there is nothing that he can do about it. he has spoken to the manager and he echoes the sentiment. he made a point that i hadnt been getting my service at the dealership, so they had no way to detect it. so what do i do? i will definitely get the alignment done tomorrow. should i pursue it further with lexus corp or just swallow it?
Attached Thumbnails Look at this tire.....what should i do?-tire.jpg  
Old 11-06-02, 04:59 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

it scares me to think that this weekend i was up to about 120 this weekend. i felt a vibration but forgot to check it out..........
Attached Thumbnails Look at this tire.....what should i do?-tire2.jpg  
Old 11-06-02, 05:13 PM
JacobT

Doc,

Looks like you had a pretty bad negative camber in the front. I used to run -2.5 camber on my M3 to avoid rubbing, every time I replace tires, they were not that BAD.
Old 11-06-02, 05:13 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face make them swallow it

if it was installed at lexus with a lexus warrenty and a lexus product...what do they expect. Not many people wanna pay 60-80 bucks for a oil change. your car is screaming "i am taken care of." not many people get there tires rotated and balanced every 6 months...i do but they are not factory tires er wheels. i would pitch a fit to them, i am sure you spend your hard earned money at there business, and i would let them know. I would also let them know that i would not be screwed...i am sure there are a few more lex dealers around where your from...its atl er n.c?
Old 11-06-02, 05:23 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

They better pay for new tires! They are the morons who did the last alignment and put on the suspension (l-tuned). It's their work that caused the problem, since you didn't change anything on your car's suspension and the fact that it's on BOTH front tires. I'd raise hell and if they gave me the, "you don't come here for service crap," I'd call Lexus Corp right in front of them on my cell. Good luck Doc, but get those morons to pay for the damage they did and thank god for the loss of your front lip, or it could be a lot worse.
Old 11-06-02, 05:38 PM
Aristo916
Driver

let us/me know what u r going to do about it with lexus. I just did my brake's and saw the same thing happen to my bridgestone's (came with the car I wouldn't buy those tire's) My rear's there r chunk's gone in middle the side's every where never seen that happen befor
Old 11-06-02, 05:47 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

well i just got off of the phone with lexus customer care. they said that they will call hennessey on my behalf and try to resolve it. he said that he will be in touch with me by tues. we'll see.

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
Good luck Doc, but get those morons to pay for the damage they did and thank god for the loss of your front lip, or it could be a lot worse.
amen to that bruh.......

Doc
Old 11-06-02, 06:03 PM
chowder
Driver

I actually think this is a problem with the GS's. That exact thing happened to me. Search the forums and you'll see many people with ridiculous inside wear on their tires, presumably caused by time spent in the front of the car. Never before had I seen a tire which was worn evenly across the surface and cut like a shelf on the insides.
My stock Re030's would have lasted much longer had they not worn in the same fashion (brink of disaster). It's not an easy problem to detect. I couldn't feel it. I'm having my tire guy watch it very carefully for me on my new set of tires.
FYI, I am one of these religious balance/alignment types. Trust me when I say this can happen in spite of that.
Just to build a body of evidence, when I bought my new tires, I took video of the worn stock tires, then I let my tire guy balance/mount new tires, then I let my dealer do an alignment. We all know dealers aren't the best at doing alignments (story in itself), but I'm covering my bases. At 5K into my new tires, I had my tire guy look for signs of inside wear from the fronts, then rotate/balance. So far you can't tell. I'm going to micromanage this situation through the life of this 2nd set of tires.
Side story: I actually bought a cheap set of tires (Kuhmos) thinking I'd drive them with a vengeance to see if it would happen again before spending big $ on tires, but they were too intolerable. I'm now on Pilot A/S.
Old 11-06-02, 06:09 PM
chowder
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=23235
Old 11-06-02, 06:26 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

i had the same issue with my tires. Noticed it at 13k and had to remove the tires at 15k

i have my stock 16's on and i'm trying to determine if they are ok now after a second alignment.

i think this is an issue with 17+ inch tires from what i've been reading and there is no resolution.

I think you should rotate the fronts (or swap) every 5k and get an alignment every 15k atleast.
Old 11-06-02, 09:05 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't know you had firestone tires on your car Dr. Rick!
Old 11-07-02, 01:09 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4fun
Didn't know you had firestone tires on your car Dr. Rick!

tell me about it. maybe i need to get a lawsuit going.........
Old 11-07-02, 01:45 AM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Even with perfect alignment on my suspension (OEM before, now L-tuned), my front tires still has a tendency to wear inside faster. So, I figure if you can't fight it, live with it. And here's something you should do. Make sure you rotate your tires every 5k miles. And when you see the inside is wearing out a bit more than usual, swap it so the outer part becomes inside. Also, make sure you check your tire presure regularly. After months of trial and error I experimented on tire pressure, I conclude that the stock setting (32psi) is not good. Both front and rear tires showed significant inside wear running at 32psi. You've got to pump them at least 35psi. I'm running 37 front and 36 rear and it's been doing fine.

Last edited by MGS4; 11-07-02 at 01:49 AM.