GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 11:57 AM
BKGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problem

i am having problems starting my car. when i put the key in and go to start, everythings fine except the car wont fire up. i know theres nothing wrong with the starter since it has been replaced awhile back and the battery is still good. i changed the battery on my key fob in hopes to fix this problem but that lasted about a week or so before i had the same issue pop up again. it would take me a few times to try to get the car running. when it starts and everything is fine i can drive it for awhile and maybe a day or 2 later the same problem pops up again. anyone experience this problem before? i looked online and i really dont want to have to change the ecu on the car but if i will have to, thats going to be my absolute last resort. my mechanic said there was a code where the engine imobilizer isnt reading the key? so yea guys. HELP!
Old 05-16-12, 06:11 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGS3
i am having problems starting my car. when i put the key in and go to start, everythings fine except the car wont fire up. i know theres nothing wrong with the starter since it has been replaced awhile back and the battery is still good. i changed the battery on my key fob in hopes to fix this problem but that lasted about a week or so before i had the same issue pop up again. it would take me a few times to try to get the car running. when it starts and everything is fine i can drive it for awhile and maybe a day or 2 later the same problem pops up again. anyone experience this problem before? i looked online and i really dont want to have to change the ecu on the car but if i will have to, thats going to be my absolute last resort. my mechanic said there was a code where the engine imobilizer isnt reading the key? so yea guys. HELP!
Do you only have one key for the car? I would try to get another key cut and programmed to see if that solves your issue.
Old 05-16-12, 06:44 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What Does your alarm light do before and after u put the key in?
Old 05-16-12, 08:03 PM
davidwd40
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BKGS3
There's a small possibility that your starter motor contacts are wearing. Do you turn the key a few times or so, hear a click without the engine turning over, and then it finally turns over perfectly?

If that's the case, ask you mechanic about your starter motor contacts. Might be separate from that code..

I had this problem with my car.. I think it had been like that for many years. Cost $1000 to fix at the Lexus dealership because it takes 6 hours to access the starter (on a GS400). If you have GS3, probably will be less labor to fix.
Old 05-16-12, 08:20 PM
Phantom300
Rookie

^^^ I have a GS400 also and it takes longer to start. It got a little bit better after I put in some new spark plugs, but still doesn't start right away.
Old 05-23-12, 10:11 AM
BKGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Do you only have one key for the car? I would try to get another key cut and programmed to see if that solves your issue.
i actually had another key made for my car cause the original key i had i lost....i replaced the battery on my key and my spare key is at home....im away for school right now
Old 05-23-12, 10:12 AM
BKGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by davidwd40
There's a small possibility that your starter motor contacts are wearing. Do you turn the key a few times or so, hear a click without the engine turning over, and then it finally turns over perfectly?

If that's the case, ask you mechanic about your starter motor contacts. Might be separate from that code..

I had this problem with my car.. I think it had been like that for many years. Cost $1000 to fix at the Lexus dealership because it takes 6 hours to access the starter (on a GS400). If you have GS3, probably will be less labor to fix.
the starters been replaced like year and a half ago so i dont think its the problem? might be but i doubt it....but who knows anything is possible
Old 05-23-12, 10:15 AM
BKGS3
Pole Position

when i start the car everythings working fine its jus the engine wont turn over and actually start. i have been putting my key in the ignition and wait like 10 secs till the lights o nthe dash disappear and then it will start....but there has been a few instances where i do that and the car still wont start properly. i think this might be sign to get a new car or spend more money fixing it............
Old 05-23-12, 10:50 AM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I think it JUST might be the starter. I know it was replaced recently but it sounds like it might be a case where it dies sooner than it normally does... Is the starter a Lexus original?
Old 05-23-12, 11:07 AM
MadTyte
Rookie

Sounds like the starter. I got lucky and paid my friend $100 for labor. Dealer rapes you.
Old 05-23-12, 01:16 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom300
^^^ I have a GS400 also and it takes longer to start. It got a little bit better after I put in some new spark plugs, but still doesn't start right away.
Not true, my gs400 starts right up very quickly..
Old 05-24-12, 10:49 PM
BKGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KingNasGS4
Honestly, I think it JUST might be the starter. I know it was replaced recently but it sounds like it might be a case where it dies sooner than it normally does... Is the starter a Lexus original?
the starters an aftermarket starter.
Old 05-24-12, 10:52 PM
BKGS3
Pole Position

im trying to explore every option i can to get the car running perfectly. what i do is when i shut my car off i turn off my ac and stereo and then shut the car off. when i start the car in the morning, i put the key in and let the steering wheel come to me and wait for some of the lights to disappear on the dash before i would try to start her up. it seems to be working for now but then who knows. this problem i have would come and go at random times. so far if i cant get it to start the first time i would try again and the car will start. im trying to explore every option i can find to avoid going to my last plan which is to drop her off at a dealer and pray they dont kill me. who knows....see what happens.
Old 05-25-12, 09:00 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check the fuses
Old 06-02-12, 07:16 PM
BKGS3
Pole Position

fuses are all fine

Quick Reply: starting problem