GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Picking up gs300 tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 03:46 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just bought mine with one key the valet key. the reason why this happens alot because to get lexus to be able to get you a master key it has to be programed which needs a new computer. But if you pay for the key and programming it will run you $350 at the dealership. This is if lexus provides the computer. so if I was you I will contact the lexus dealer with the vin before you buy the vehicle and make sure they will cover the cost of the new computer if not I heard it will run up to $1500 to get new computer, master key and programmed. That doesn't sound like something you want to pay for right after you bought the car so I would not rush and make sure you can get that taking care of before you drop your money.
Old 05-18-12, 05:11 PM
Gplex1987
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc80rick
I just bought mine with one key the valet key. the reason why this happens alot because to get lexus to be able to get you a master key it has to be programed which needs a new computer. But if you pay for the key and programming it will run you $350 at the dealership. This is if lexus provides the computer. so if I was you I will contact the lexus dealer with the vin before you buy the vehicle and make sure they will cover the cost of the new computer if not I heard it will run up to $1500 to get new computer, master key and programmed. That doesn't sound like something you want to pay for right after you bought the car so I would not rush and make sure you can get that taking care of before you drop your money.
Yeah that's a lot of money.

Just found this out
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=00411857754

The guy selling it said to take the car to a locksmith to get it reprogrammed with that new key and the current keys will no longer be able to use. That being said the seller of the car cant access the car with his valet keys.

Will that work?
Old 05-18-12, 05:28 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There are other threads on this if you search. But you have it right.

You are in a bind because you have no master key, not because he is going to steal your car. If you lose or break the remaining key (gets wet or whatever), your car is now a hunk of metal stuck on the road that will only move by towing. You can attempt to negotiate this point with the seller to reduce price of the car.

Anyway, as far as the keys go,
You need to call and locate local locksmiths first and see who can offer Lexus complete key reprogramming ( ECM flashing). You can search internet on this to understand the concept "reflash ecm lexus", there are some locksmiths offer to do this by mail if you are mechanical enough to remove and send them the ECM module.
Example:
http://www.a-1mobilelockandkey.com/l...ngservice.html

Since you have no master key any, *usually* most dealerships usually will not be able to help you and flash the ECM computer to use new set of keys; they will only offer you option to replace the entire system new.
A few number of dealers now do offer the service to reflash the computer or refer you to a local locksmith who does this. Some of them just use a partnered locksmith and charge you extra for the privilege (similar to glass repair). But this is not a guaranteed available service.

So break out the yellowpages and start calling your local locksmiths or you can start with the Dealer to see if they recommend anyone. Tell them you have no master key and need reflash of the ECM and a whole new set of keys (well minus 1, because you can reuse the valet).

There is no point in buying a master key on ebay if you need a local locksmith to flash your ecm.. The locksmith should be full-service: reflashing the computer, giving you full set of keys (or however many you want and combination of master/valet, remote non-remote) and program them for your car (both ignition and any remote functionality). They will appreciate u giving them the whole business and not charge you extra for insulting them by bringing in a key you bought off ebay.
If price for the key hardware is a sticky point, you can bring it up and negotiate and say, " these extra keys cost $x on ebay, can you match it; or should I buy them and bring them in" to reduce the total.

Don't worry about the guy coming to steal your car. Why would someone risk grandtheftauto for some 10year old car. You are a lexus owner, Think like a baller (or balla as they say) not like a ghetto thug!

Last edited by raytseng; 05-18-12 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 06:38 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

With all this new info use it well and tell us what you've decided.
Old 05-18-12, 06:53 PM
Phantom300
Rookie

Welcome to the club!
Old 05-18-12, 11:52 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the key is the only thing holding you back, then just buy it. Keys are misplaced and lost all the time. Maybe they just forgot to give him the keys when he purchased it or maybe the owners before him lost it too.
Old 05-19-12, 08:47 AM
clawmoolah
Rookie

lmao.. he is NOT going to steal your car....
Old 05-19-12, 10:08 AM
Busha
Pole Position

If you get a car starter you can use any key without a chip you start with the starter and then put a copy key in the ignition
Old 05-19-12, 02:42 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

you can get a locksmith to reflash the computer and make a master key and valet key its been done before. I had it done when i bought my car i only had the valet key and now i have a master and valet key yes it can be done.
Old 05-19-12, 03:23 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

you can get a locksmith to reflash the computer and make a master key and valet key its been done before. I had it done when i bought my car i only had the valet key and now i have a master and valet key yes it can be done.
Old 05-20-12, 08:50 AM
SureShot
Rookie

things to consider. the valet key will not lock and glove box nor the trunk. so if you decide the buy the car, i'd get a master key asap. its not needed, but i like the option of manually locking the trunk and i often place semi-valuables in the glove box and lock it when i run into the store. thieves are opportunists and sometimes a locked glove box is enough for them to move onto the next car (after they have already gotten inside, of course).