GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new M2 exhaust on GS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 10:08 PM
CptCrunch
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds really nice!
Old 05-18-12, 11:27 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Really should post a vid banging out the rev limiter once or twice so we can see how it really sounds!

Although I see you had the same issue I had with them on his car not lining up in the cutouts worth a damn. They are decent for the money, but the
fitment is where the lack of cost really comes into play, the QC just isn't there..

If you loosen all the bolts and wiggle the entire system around, then position the tips in the cutout where you want them and slowly snug the bolts from the rear moving towards the front, and go back again tighten them after they were all snug it will allow the most possible adjustment at the rear. Way easier to do on a lift if you have access to one. Although even after all the time I spent aligning they still needed a little bend/cut/weld to line up better.
Me and my bro spent like 30 min trying to line up the tips, but I still couldn't get it the way I wanted, so I jus gave up
Old 05-18-12, 11:32 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

One reason y I didn't hit the rev limited is cuz I wanted to get the sound of daily driving.
Old 05-19-12, 07:29 AM
gs400rpg
Driver

Originally Posted by perry05g35
Sounds like my Tanabe for twice the price. My muffler sits a little lower on the driver side than the passenger and it's Tanabe no biggie though.
The m2 is 309$ on ebay, Tanabe's are more then twice the price.

I'd love to hear this with the resonators still in place and just the axelback m2

Last edited by gs400rpg; 05-19-12 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-19-12, 08:51 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400rpg
I'd love to hear this with the resonators still in place and just the axelback m2
These round cans cannot be installed as an axleback only, because they do not bolt up anywhere near the stock flange locations, they must be used with the included y-pipe.

The other style of oval shaped mufflers that are sometimes available on ebay sold under top-speed or other random brands, these can be installed to either the stock y or the aftermarket y they sell (which a does have resonators in it, although much much smaller than the stocks). These have been sold as packages or separately, but the round cans are always sold as a kit..

Last edited by 99 GS3; 05-19-12 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-19-12, 09:10 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Here is the other style that is available as mufflers only, or with a matching y with small resonators. These can be installed to the stock exhaust y-pipe or the available stainless y-pipe.

I put a pair of these on a guys car like 2 years ago maybe, they looked ok, but the muffler canister itself was thin, flimsy, and otherwise cheap as ****. But the tips did look decent, they sounded kinda raspy and otherwise lame though.

And here is a pic of the top-speed ypipe that sometimes is sold with those crappy oval cans. The cans were thin and cheap, but I've got to say this y-pipe is decently built and the fitment for it was very good. The weight savings alone compared to the stock y is huge. I'm not the biggest fan of the 3 piece design due to more bolts, more gaskets, and more potential leak points, but there is a big benefit which is that it allows a ton of adjustment of the rear muffler sections to make up for any poor fitment/qc issues with the pipe. I ran this y section on my car in a few different exhaust configurations for a while and it was decent, I can recommend it for anyone looking for a y-pipe that works with stock axleback replacement sections, but I would not spend any of my own money on the associated mufflers..

Old 05-19-12, 09:50 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Is that y pipe from M2 or from top speed??
Old 05-19-12, 11:02 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

KO speed, top speed, m2, etc all the same stuff, originating from the same factories in china distributed under various names. Though the y-pipe was sold for a long time under the top-speed pro 1 name and the one I have in the pics there had a metal label tack welded on saying top speed. I bought that pipe alone, but the oval can kit for the guy I later installed one for came with the same y-pipe but it did not have a name tag tack welded to it, and was listed under some other name. But it was the exact same pipe.
Old 05-22-12, 06:44 AM
gs400rpg
Driver

These round cans cannot be installed as an axleback only, because they do not bolt up anywhere near the stock flange locations, they must be used with the included y-pipe.

The other style of oval shaped mufflers that are sometimes available on ebay sold under top-speed or other random brands, these can be installed to either the stock y or the aftermarket y they sell (which a does have resonators in it, although much much smaller than the stocks). These have been sold as packages or separately, but the round cans are always sold as a kit..
Hey thats good info to know, I hadn't noticed in the pics they were not the same Y pipes.

I'm just worried the round cans will be too loud for a VIP car so I'm desciding between this and the blitz with the other Y pipe perhaps. The Blitz ofcourse being more expensive.

How would you compare this m2 sound to the blitz axleback?
Old 06-10-12, 06:27 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Default up close

this is my exhaust up close. my bro is the one revving it. sorry that he revs like a little girl.

Old 06-10-12, 07:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

This sounds really throaty much better than my rear section Blitz Nur Spec... Do u have a link OP to the exact products you bought.. Is this just the rear section or did u buy the Y-pipe also? Thanks
Old 06-10-12, 07:50 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
This sounds really throaty much better than my rear section Blitz Nur Spec... Do u have a link OP to the exact products you bought.. Is this just the rear section or did u buy the Y-pipe also? Thanks
this is where i got my exhaust from http://www.robearracing.com/pd-m2-pe...s400-98-05.cfm

but they are also selling it cheaper on http://www.hopupracing.com/blnurspex...hannelid=FROOG
Old 06-10-12, 07:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by bigwes
this is where i got my exhaust from http://www.robearracing.com/pd-m2-pe...s400-98-05.cfm

but they are also selling it cheaper on http://www.hopupracing.com/blnurspex...hannelid=FROOG
Thanks for quick link. So you have the Y-pipe on also? THats the complete kit? Did u put it on your self?
Old 06-10-12, 09:08 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Thanks for quick link. So you have the Y-pipe on also? THats the complete kit? Did u put it on your self?
I did it myself wit the help of my bro. It took about 2 hours to put on. FYI to remove the y-pipe hangers, use oil to slip it off. Other than that, it's a fairly easy set-up. I went to a shop and had them unbolt and then re-bolt the rusted parts, cuz I didn't have the proper tools. Then I brought it back to my house and worked on it.
Old 06-11-12, 05:08 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Here is the other style that is available as mufflers only, or with a matching y with small resonators. These can be installed to the stock exhaust y-pipe or the available stainless y-pipe.

I put a pair of these on a guys car like 2 years ago maybe, they looked ok, but the muffler canister itself was thin, flimsy, and otherwise cheap as ****. But the tips did look decent, they sounded kinda raspy and otherwise lame though.

And here is a pic of the top-speed ypipe that sometimes is sold with those crappy oval cans. The cans were thin and cheap, but I've got to say this y-pipe is decently built and the fitment for it was very good. The weight savings alone compared to the stock y is huge. I'm not the biggest fan of the 3 piece design due to more bolts, more gaskets, and more potential leak points, but there is a big benefit which is that it allows a ton of adjustment of the rear muffler sections to make up for any poor fitment/qc issues with the pipe. I ran this y section on my car in a few different exhaust configurations for a while and it was decent, I can recommend it for anyone looking for a y-pipe that works with stock axleback replacement sections, but I would not spend any of my own money on the associated mufflers..

so what type of Y-pipe do u recommend that will bolt up to my Blitz? or should i just go to a shop and have the resonators cut off...

Quick Reply: new M2 exhaust on GS400