GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs4 inside tire wear (stock 16's)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 07:16 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Gs4 inside tire wear (stock 16's)

Ok yes beat to death and i haven't seen a real answer yet. It isn't alignment.

I did notice my rack moves a slight bit when wheels turned but that wont cause this sort of wear.

My suspicion is weak caster/control arm bushings increase toe more and more negative as road speed increases. And as toe goes more positive, camber starts go more and more negative. Thus causing accelerated tire wear and alignment specs at rest that are good.

Thoughts?
Old 05-28-12, 10:41 PM
usa5655
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is ur car lowered?
Old 05-28-12, 10:44 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Nope, and I do my own alignments and have a very good eye and it is very close to 0 camber and 0 toe (at rest).

The rear has a couple degrees rear camber, but I don't wear the tires unevenly (I drive it hard enough). I am fine with the rear, it doesn't have problems there, just in front.

Originally Posted by usa5655
is ur car lowered?
Old 05-28-12, 11:32 PM
2eXceL
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You NEED new No.2 Lower Control Arm bushings and most likely New Lower Ball Joints. Read the threads (sticky) on Front Suspension Facts and the well documented failures of the Caster Bushing in the No.2 Lower Control arm that makes your alignment go to ***** and weakens the Lower ball joint.
Alternatively, take a look under your car and look at the Caster bushing, you will probably see some of the rubber bushing is cracked or worn badly.
Old 05-29-12, 05:28 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Its cracked but still intact. I just did bj's recently.

I have a spare set of arms that need bushings. But i don't know what year they are. I was hoping to find some daizens or a good aftermarket bushing. Are any available? TM engineering sounds like a dud.

Tnx
Old 05-29-12, 02:12 PM
BlKTC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you seriously eyeball your alignment specs? That may be why.. lol

But, try changing out the caster bushing first, like previously mentioned.. then, go get a real alignment.

edit: didn't see your last comment

one way you can find out what year the arms are, is if you compare with the ones you have now.. the 2001+ ones are beefier than the 98-2000 ones
Old 05-29-12, 02:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Ok yes beat to death and i haven't seen a real answer yet
or maybe you just didnt read far enough before giving up and making a new thread?

try changing your inner/outer tie rods

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-problems.html

although my front camber is maxed out this helped me alot
Old 05-29-12, 03:23 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I can eyeball and tell you if it is in or out, that is easy part. I have a bunch of tools that I use to do the alignment. I am in most cases more accurate than the shops. Remember the shops are using fancy stuff for speed, get the car in, set it and get it out. In many cases the shops just get the car within spec, but doesn't mean it is WELL within spec, they will often get it to just barely in spec.

For toe I use 2 7 foot straight edges. The accuracy is awesome.

It DOES take time, it isn't for the feint of heart. If you don't know how to string a car and take a few hours dialing it in, leave it to a shop. This is the FIRST car I have had in 15 years wear out a set of tires due to alignment and that is due to worn parts not due to the alignment. And I have only had it for 8 months or so. As long as you understand suspension geometry, don't be afraid to get in there and have at it. It isn't rocket science.

I usually spec the alignment myself if the stock specs suck. And most GM stuff does (GM thinks people want a lame lethargic driving car)....But they have much tougher suspensions than Lexus, much much tougher.

I'll take a look at the arms closer, I don't recall one being different than the other, one has a Daizen bushing in it, but the sleeve is missing, and the other has no bushing.

Originally Posted by BlKTC
you seriously eyeball your alignment specs? That may be why.. lol

But, try changing out the caster bushing first, like previously mentioned.. then, go get a real alignment.

edit: didn't see your last comment

one way you can find out what year the arms are, is if you compare with the ones you have now.. the 2001+ ones are beefier than the 98-2000 ones
Sakataj, I checked the tie rods, they are fine, don't need to replace them. Remember, the search on here sucks, I went thru 3 pages of threads on inner tire wear and not one had a solid answer on what the problem is, just a lot of guesses no real answers, most people having 20's or lowered or both and that adds a whole lot of mess to a weak suspension. This isn't a camber problem, it wears somewhat like camber, it isn't a camber problem.

My rack is moving some under heavy steering load (stopped car turning wheels), but not loose enough to be too bad on the road, that would cause more of a wander. I looked carefully at the tie rods and didn't see any wear that warranted replacement.

Originally Posted by sakataj
or maybe you just didnt read far enough before giving up and making a new thread?

try changing your inner/outer tie rods

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-problems.html

although my front camber is maxed out this helped me alot
Old 05-29-12, 03:28 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Some tips on home DIY alignment

http://www.elantragtclub.com/id554.html
http://www.negative-camber.org/jam14...alignment.html
http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/amc/align.htm
http://www.miata.net/garage/alignment/index.html
Amazon Amazon

Tools are key to doing it right, check the circle track shops. But fancy stuff isn't needed, talk to a carpenter....

I have a writeup on toe I did on my Cadillac years ago to give some idea how I did toe.