GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Successfully disabled 3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-02, 02:22 PM
JacobT

Default Successfully disabled 3rd brake light

Many thanks to BananaGS, I successfully disabled the 3rd brake light. No worry about the warning sign on dash any more

When I PM BabanaGs last week about the DIY resistors setup. He told me he had the GS electric disgram, why didn't I just disable the wire on the light warning module. So he sent me all the necessary disgrams.

Today, I opened up the trunk, removed the carpet behind the driver side wall, un-pluged the LW module, located the violet/red wire which was the 2nd one from the top. Put a small piece of electric tape on the pin connector, re-pluged it back in. Removed all 5 light bulbs from the deck brake light, stepped on the brake. No more yellow warning sign on the dash, no more annoying dual brake lights in the back. Job done in 15 minutes.

I'd say this is the easiest way to disable the 3rd brake light. To all those CL members using black tape, it's time to "UPGRADE"
Old 11-09-02, 02:33 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool glad I could help

Just update my page to include the DIY spoiler installation.

Don't stair at the page too long, because you will eat up my limited bandwidth. got to figure out a way to get more donation in order to upgrade the bandwidth

Last edited by BananaGS; 11-09-02 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-09-02, 08:34 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BananGS, is what JacobT described on your web site? I'm getting a spoiler in the next month and I want to do this also so I'd like to see those diagrams that you sent JacobT. If so, could you provide a link. Thanks.
Old 11-09-02, 08:47 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

not on the website yet. I'll try to take some pictures and post it soon
Old 11-09-02, 09:19 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Banana,

Make sure you watermark the pictures so "you know who" doesn't bite your DIYs. Take care
Old 11-09-02, 11:35 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Where exactly is this Light Warning module?
Old 11-10-02, 12:20 AM
GJSGS4
Driver

Does disconnecting this wire keep the burned-out light indicating from working when other lights are out, i.e. tail and brake lights, etc.?

The light warning module is accessed through the trunk. You need to remove the drivers side trunk lining anf the module is mounted to the back side of a brace about 3/4 of the way up the trunk.
Old 11-10-02, 01:44 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Ok,

I'm trying to do this right now, are we talking about the black thing that has the "open the gas tank" string that goes to the trunk attached to it?

The one thats above a little brown box on the backside of a piece of the body in the trunk?

The connector only has two wires going to it, but the colors on it are red, violet, violet, red I believe (from top to bottom).

Let me know if this is it!!
Old 11-10-02, 01:55 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Nevermind, it IS the brown unit, it says "Lamp Failure" on it =P

What confuses me now is what wire's pin I'm supposed to wrap in electrical tape.

JacobT mentions the violet/red wire, which I see, but this is not the 2nd one from the top (it is not the 2nd one from bottom end either).

I do see an all violet wire though, which IS 2nd from the top, is that what you're talking about?

I have a 2000 GS, do you think they changed the wiring?
Old 11-10-02, 03:27 AM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

I tried blocking both the violet and the violet/red pins with electrical tape and neither worked for me

anyone else get this to work and can elaborate?

What am i doing wrong??
Old 11-10-02, 03:41 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

JacobT:

Please post pics here or in DIY section soon. Seems like a bit of confusion going on.

Pete
Old 11-10-02, 04:41 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

um.. i dont understand why would you want to disable 3rd light? and which 3rd light is it that you talking about? are you talking about the one that inside of the car? i have all of them on.. and i'm happy about it.. i dont know why would i want to disable it
Old 11-10-02, 05:29 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Hi gang:

I was curious, so I went to check it out. I found the Lamp Failure module and disconnected the 12-pin plug from it.

Like Intellexual, which wire/pin do I cover up with electrical tape?

If you look real close at the Lamp Failure module pins, the pins are numbered (backwards) in this order.

Top pin #s: 5 4 3 2 1
Lower pin #s: 12 11 10 9 8 7 6

Which pin # do I tape?

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Successfully disabled 3rd brake light-picture-015.jpg  
Old 11-10-02, 05:33 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Here's a pic of the 12-pin plug.
Attached Thumbnails Successfully disabled 3rd brake light-picture-017.jpg  
Old 11-10-02, 05:34 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alexus, when you get the rear spoiler as a factory option (as opposed to dealer installed), there is no 3rd brake light on the rear deck, there is only one on the spoiler. But if you get it installed by the dealer or an aftermarket place, then you end up with two 3rd brake lights, one on the rear deck and one on the spoiler. They both light up together and some people think that looks ugly when you see it from the back including myself. I think people want to get that factory spoiler look with only one 3rd brake light so it doesn't look like it was added on later.

Quick Reply: Successfully disabled 3rd brake light