GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need help.. Car was egged and need help picking out a good car cover.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 05:27 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I need help.. Car was egged and need help picking out a good car cover.

Well i'm sure some of you know my car was vandalized a few weeks ago.. Fender busted, window and quater panel shot with a BB gun..

Today came out to my car early morning and there was a busted egg on my windshield and on the A pillar on the outside of the car. Cleaned it off really fast with a QD and all, but i've really had it and need to get something to help keep them off my car. Looking for a multilayer if possible, but I don't have a ton of money to spend. I'm searching now for good covers etc, but if I could get anyones opinion on here on some and links that'd be awesome.

Before anyone says it.. No I cannot park in the garage, I will not park in the back because we've already had 2 cars broken into from that. I just need a car cover for now, that's my best bet.

-Daniel

Last edited by LuxuryGS3; 06-01-12 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-01-12, 05:31 AM
cschroder
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont need a car cover you need a 9mm...
Old 06-01-12, 05:36 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cschroder
you dont need a car cover you need a 9mm...
Already plan on it when I turn 21 in January, but even then it's not even gonna help if I can't catch the bastards. :/
Old 06-01-12, 06:02 AM
1slowsc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get comprehensive Insurance which isnt much more than 1way. Mount a camera infront your house and start claiming insurance for them vandilizing your car. I have an oem car cover that seem pretty thick, somthing like a tarp would keep eggs off.
Old 06-01-12, 06:07 AM
gs400rpg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this point knowing your history I'd forget the cover, he's just going to tear it or continue this crap one way or another. Invest in a hidden camera mounted on your block, record whats going on and then either resolve this problem with the police or the 9mm. your smart parking on the street in the light now catch this bast.....

edit: post above X2 lol I type slow
Old 06-01-12, 08:07 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Again?! You've got to be kidding me.
Old 06-01-12, 08:10 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1slowsc
Get comprehensive Insurance which isnt much more than 1way. Mount a camera infront your house and start claiming insurance for them vandilizing your car. I have an oem car cover that seem pretty thick, somthing like a tarp would keep eggs off.
Don't you have to pay deductible if it's vandalism too though? I'm not wanting to dish out deductible money every month.

Yeah cause whoever it is isn't getting out of the car, so a cover that's held from the underside would be good.
Old 06-01-12, 08:15 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gs400rpg
At this point knowing your history I'd forget the cover, he's just going to tear it or continue this crap one way or another. Invest in a hidden camera mounted on your block, record whats going on and then either resolve this problem with the police or the 9mm. your smart parking on the street in the light now catch this bast.....

edit: post above X2 lol I type slow
Hes not getting out of the car so the cover will be good hooked from the bottom. The camera will come later when I have more money to spend.
Old 06-01-12, 08:17 AM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Again?! You've got to be kidding me.
Sadly I'm not.
Old 06-01-12, 10:18 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

what research on car covers have you done so far?

There are a couple threads that already "cover" this topic.

There are only a couple cover manufacturers that do thiscovercraft/coverking-all other resellers are really just dropshipping from these guys.

Each manufacturer has a list of fabrics and a chart explaining the pros/cons of each fabric.
The biggest options you have to consider are weight/bulk vs. physical protection. Then weather(water) protection vs price.
If you get the cheaper models typically they aren't waterproof so will absorb water and be a heavy damp mess if you happen to need to deal with it when wet.

For your purposes of just security deterrent, pretty much any cover will work the same in this category, even non-custom ones. They all have grommets at the bottom of each side meant for you to throw a security cable/and a padlock under your car to lock it down (like a belt around the bottom of your car. The place where you buy your cover will usually have the cable/lock as an accessory. This is not too expensive.

As far as comprehensive goes, you should run the numbers and see how much it will cost, You maybe surprised that the difference between a $500 deductible and $50 deductible is not that much; and gets you a lot more when you actually use it (which is why you got the insurance to begin with, right?). If you end up using insurance even once, that's $450 difference.
Old 06-01-12, 12:25 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Spent a few nights in the car.
Old 06-01-12, 01:08 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop pissing people off!
Old 06-01-12, 01:19 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by raytseng
what research on car covers have you done so far?

There are a couple threads that already "cover" this topic.

There are only a couple cover manufacturers that do thiscovercraft/coverking-all other resellers are really just dropshipping from these guys.

Each manufacturer has a list of fabrics and a chart explaining the pros/cons of each fabric.
The biggest options you have to consider are weight/bulk vs. physical protection. Then weather(water) protection vs price.
If you get the cheaper models typically they aren't waterproof so will absorb water and be a heavy damp mess if you happen to need to deal with it when wet.

For your purposes of just security deterrent, pretty much any cover will work the same in this category, even non-custom ones. They all have grommets at the bottom of each side meant for you to throw a security cable/and a padlock under your car to lock it down (like a belt around the bottom of your car. The place where you buy your cover will usually have the cable/lock as an accessory. This is not too expensive.

As far as comprehensive goes, you should run the numbers and see how much it will cost, You maybe surprised that the difference between a $500 deductible and $50 deductible is not that much; and gets you a lot more when you actually use it (which is why you got the insurance to begin with, right?). If you end up using insurance even once, that's $450 difference.
I'm looking into Covercraft mainly. They seem to have A LOT of levels of covers, but i'm more than likely just going to go for the cheapest they have, but it also has 3 layers to it which is nice. It's only $64 and should suffice for now.

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Spent a few nights in the car.
I seriously thought about it today, believe me bro.

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
Stop pissing people off!
I don't **** people off. I hardly speak to anyone as is. I have 3 jobs and better things to do than **** people off. I've been on a break from meets for the past 6 months since i've been working on the next phase for my GS and haven't shown myself in forever. There have been 0 chances for me to **** anyone off. It irks me that I have no idea at who it is. It really does.
Old 06-01-12, 01:55 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sleep in your car or be in another car with your boy across the street and then bust heads 12 years old or 50
Old 06-01-12, 02:10 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

do you know of anyone with a garage that you can park your car in for now? costco has a surveilance camera. i believe it's 4 cameras with receiver and mounts for 299.00. put your mods on hold until you find out who's f*%^$ing with your car. i would spend some mod money for the cameras to catch the a**hole that's doing it. it's a no-brainer. buy cameras, do mods later. or do mods and spend more money fixing the damage that someone has done and will continue to do, and continue spending money to fix it.

Quick Reply: I need help.. Car was egged and need help picking out a good car cover.