GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Moisture in GS headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-02, 06:03 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, kinda what I figured... Just goofing around
Old 11-11-02, 07:04 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about the frontal impact deal, no personal experience, just what someone told me.
Old 11-11-02, 11:46 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Lexus better stock up on headlights...because I am going to go through them all. Damn, I wonder how much is it costing them for this replacement. I have already gone through two and getting ready for a third...and if it holds true to my fourth and fifth and so on...until my warranty runs out...especially since it is not excluded in the CPO warranty...not sure on the extended warranty though.
Old 11-12-02, 01:20 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Headlights

No doubt. We just had 3 days of rain in LA and I have already contacted Lexus about that. I am also getting mine replaced this week.. Thanks to whoever posted this issue..... Otherwise I would not have known.

Rock
Old 11-12-02, 11:33 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

this is a picture of my front headlight after washing my car, does it get this bad for any of u guys??

ShOwGS
Attached Thumbnails Moisture in GS headlights-water-in-headlights.jpg  
Old 11-12-02, 11:56 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

you should see my driverside headlight its bad, it looks like ot was raining inside the headlight, I heard that if you make a small hole at the bottom of the headlight it should fix this problem, Im going to see if I can get this fixed before I sell the car
Old 11-12-02, 12:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
this is a picture of my front headlight after washing my car, does it get this bad for any of u guys??

ShOwGS
this is way worse. i only have moisture in the turn signal area. your case is bad coz' you really don't want your hid bulb to have contact with water vapor
Old 11-12-02, 02:41 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default moisture

I have that in both the driving light and headlight... and yeah, probably worse than that after 3 days of rain..

Rock

d it
Old 11-12-02, 07:59 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

ShowGSLuVv ---

Take your car in and see if you can get that replaced -- that looks horrible!

My car is currently sitting at the dealer with the same problem. Luckily for me the passenger side has some water droplets that dried so I could show the dealer -- hope they just fix both sides.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my IS300 loaner.
Old 11-12-02, 08:39 PM
spectrabluelexi

Just called to have mine replaced as well after all the rain lately here. Mine was only on the driver's side...but they are replacing both so the lenses will look the same. Good to know someone who is a Lexus service advisor. Factory HID on mine.
Old 11-12-02, 09:27 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

Default Headlamp moisture

I had moisture in both my headlights back in june. It occurred when I drove home to Charleston, SC. It was very hot and humid and that was the first time I noticed the condensation. When I got back to NC the dealership replaced both front headligts under warranty and I haven't had a problem since. I will continue to check periodically to make sure that the problem doesn't reoccur or I will just be back into the shop for two more headlamps.
Old 11-13-02, 08:40 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to throw this out there guys..............

Is it possible that Lexus, for some unknow reason to us, designed the headlights to vent?

Not necessarily to trap moisture of corse, but as a by product.

I mean, I'm not saying Lexus is perfect, but with the rest of the car so well constructed on fit and finish, could they have really messed up this badly across so many manufactruing processes?

Something with the need to for these housing to vent? I get a little mositure when I spray out my engine bay every other wash or two, but nothing like some other have mentioned where is gets cloudy just from driving in the rain, and certainly nothing like Show's GS

I dunno; just offering another perspective.
Old 11-13-02, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

actually i asked my mechanic about the problem and he said no, there shouldn't be any vent for headlight at all. heat is an issue, but the design of the headlight should be good enough to withstand everything. the major concern should be water vapour coz' all these bulbs are so hot that little water / grease would kill them, and replacing hid are not cheap.

that's why i came to the conclusion that something is really wrong with the gs headlight. both my acura and gs4 were under the heavy rain here for 3 days, my gs4 headlight were fogged up, but my acura were all intact
Old 11-14-02, 06:10 PM
LexFather

Lexus=fogged headlights, one of the few defects....sorry ya'll....
Old 11-14-02, 09:52 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure whether this would have negative affects on the GS headlights, but a lot of ES guys have put their headlights in the oven to redo the sealing, then lined the headlight with black silicone. Most have experienced no condensation after that.

Is condensation in headlights a thing to worry about with the GS? We may be getting a GS soon, and if we opt for a used one, should we check to see if the headlights accumulate condensation?

Quick Reply: Moisture in GS headlights