GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Moisture in GS headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-03, 02:12 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The time I had my headlight replaced, "someone" I dont know if it was from the dealer or the same place that did the install of the headlights, IM assuming it was someone who drove my car from the dealer, cuz when I got in my car, the seat was leaned all the way back and the radio was blasting on the Rap station, so right away I got mad and knew someone was hot rodding my car, I go outside to check my back tires, it was night time, but I could still see the black tire chips splattered all over the back and underneath the car, and I wiped it and smelled it to make sure, it was burnt rubber, The dealer was closed and the only person that was there was the person to give me the key at the front desk, anyways when I got home I saw the tire had groves dug into it from the spinning tire but the other side of the car was fine, so I knew the guy brake torqued it, went back to the dealer and the guy was insisting that no one brake torqued my car but still gave me two free tires as a sign of goodwill. what im tryin to say is u gotta be very careful who u trust ur car to because even though the dealership is a good one, the people who drive ur cars to and from the shops could be just little punks who dont know anything about respecting someone's property.

ShOwGS
Old 01-04-03, 03:32 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
The time I had my headlight replaced, "someone" I dont know if it was from the dealer or the same place that did the install of the headlights, IM assuming it was someone who drove my car from the dealer, cuz when I got in my car, the seat was leaned all the way back and the radio was blasting on the Rap station, so right away I got mad and knew someone was hot rodding my car, I go outside to check my back tires, it was night time, but I could still see the black tire chips splattered all over the back and underneath the car, and I wiped it and smelled it to make sure, it was burnt rubber, The dealer was closed and the only person that was there was the person to give me the key at the front desk, anyways when I got home I saw the tire had groves dug into it from the spinning tire but the other side of the car was fine, so I knew the guy brake torqued it, went back to the dealer and the guy was insisting that no one brake torqued my car but still gave me two free tires as a sign of goodwill. what im tryin to say is u gotta be very careful who u trust ur car to because even though the dealership is a good one, the people who drive ur cars to and from the shops could be just little punks who dont know anything about respecting someone's property.

ShOwGS
AMEN.....
Old 01-30-03, 10:24 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I brought by 96 CPO from Lexus of Massepequa in NY, and the sales guy told me, then SHOWED me 5 cars that had that moisture in the drivers side headlight. Dont feel bad, the cars he showed me were BRANDNEW
Attached Thumbnails Moisture in GS headlights-car-pic.jpg  
Old 01-31-03, 05:11 AM
ATWardIV
Driver School Candidate

Well I am glad to see that I’m not the only one having this issue. When I first bought my car and washed it for the first time I noticed the next day the condensation we are all talking about. I immediately called my sales rep and he told me that this is normal (the hell?!). Anyways, my problem/question is that my dealership in MD (Len Stoler) always wants to deny me warrantee service due to the minor mods I have in the car. For example, I have an Alpine flip up head unit for Nav, DVD etc. They swore up and down that’s why I’ve had battery drain problems and such. Anything and everything is never their/Lexus fault and I’m sick of it. In any event... my question is will they warrantee the lenses if I have the aftermarket pure white bulbs in them? I have the problem from day one with factory and has not gotten better or worse since. What's the call you think? I go to school down here in NC and have been to Flow once but wasn't very impressed. Anyone have any suggestions?

-A.T.
Old 01-31-03, 06:33 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

I bought my 99 GS400 in November last year and noticed this condensation problem in BOTH headlights towards the end of December. I called the dealer and found out that my warranty had just expired on the 4th of December and that they would not replace the headlights under warranty.

I then called Customer Service at the head office and after 10 days no response from them. So I called back and they said that they would not replace the headlights.

This is supposed to be the legendary high standards of Lexus Customer Service!

I am considering writing a letter to the President of Lexus Canada to complain about this manufacturing defect, but after having read this thread, is there any point to this? Even if by some miracle, they do replace the headlights as a goodwill gesture, it looks like I will have the same problem again anyway.

What are the long term detrimental effects of this moisture? I guess the worst case scnerario is that the headlights will not work.

What is everyone else doing about this (other than those of you who still have their cars under warranty) ? Is there any other fix for this other than swapping out the housings as suggested by another CL member?:

Last edited by Hameed; 01-31-03 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-31-03, 12:45 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

ATWard, with regards to your warranty you are not alone. When I purchased my CPO 96 in 2001, I put 20" wheels on it a week after I got it, but for some reason my spare tire well would fill up with water when it rained. I pulled all the trunk lining and the car had no accident damage, welds, etc. So I took it to the the dealer (Lexus of Massapequa), they could not find the cause of the trunk leak, but my salesman told me to NEVER bring the car back to the dealer with those wheels, he said the dealer would blame any problem on them and not fix it, i.e., if the engine, tranny, etc blows, they would blame the wheels. I think I read in a SEMA advertisement that a dealer can only deny you warranty repairs if the mod directly affected the ailing part, i.e., new 1000 watt amp and a weak alternator, or a new 400 turbo kit and burnt pistons. But not new head light bulbs, and they wont repair a blown head gasket, but THAT IS THE SCAM THEY TRY TO RUN!!
Old 01-31-03, 01:26 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Talking funny stuff.

I have condensation in my driver side headlight and high beam light. my car is hid equipped so i was worried about my expensive bulbs. i ask my friend who is a gs owner if he has had condensation on his lights before and he says yeah but i use a heat gun to get it out...so i am thinkin...well lets try it...lol..well i pull into his garage and we begin...lol..lets just say i am glad it was in his hands...he melted the outer layer of my headlight..lol...we went half on a new headlight and well..i got condensation and a nice lil melted spot...but condensation sucks
Old 01-31-03, 04:33 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this problem and had both headlights replaced twice.
Now my car is officially out of warranty.

anyway it only happens when it rains and I usually just drive with the lights on to evaporate the water. I will start the car in the morning let it idle for about 1 minute with the hi beams on to get the moisture out of them. So far works fine for me.

I have see this on a gs430 at work too so it is something that was not fixed when Lexus did the mild revision.
Old 02-01-03, 06:32 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its less frequent that this happens on a 430. I swapped out the headlight assembly from my GS400 for a newer 430 one. The headlight casing is the exact same expect for the additional chrome inserts that give off that greenish look on the 430 and for a better larger rubber seal on the 430 housing.

That doesnt mean it will not get penetratred but I think it will happen less frequently than on a GS400/300.

So far I changed this out and have about 5k miles on the car since and no sign of moisture in my headlights.
Old 02-01-03, 12:32 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question strange

I didn't have any moisture problems in the Headlights w/ Y2KGS4
My 02GS4 doesn't have any moisture either. Knock on wood.

Paul
Old 02-01-03, 02:37 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

I had the same problem and had the dealer swap them out for new ones...so far so good.
Old 02-01-03, 02:43 PM
ATWardIV
Driver School Candidate

Nobody has yet said if the dealer had an issue with the pure white bulbs being in or not. That is to say that they made some excuse that the bulbs caused the leak etc.. Any word?

-A.T.
Old 02-01-03, 03:41 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Originally posted by ATWardIV
Nobody has yet said if the dealer had an issue with the pure white bulbs being in or not. That is to say that they made some excuse that the bulbs caused the leak etc.. Any word?

-A.T.
Well, so far so good with my third drivers side light. They also, out of courtesy, replaced my passenger side to match.

However, to answer your question, no they had no problems with the bulbs in their, atleast not my dealer. The only thing they were concerned about is that you may burn up the harness. However, I have the Sylvania Silverstars...and they are only 55 watts.

They know about the bulbs because I have to keep reminding them to swap the bulbs.

Last edited by eppan; 02-01-03 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-03-04, 03:16 PM
gnelson
Driver

Default headlights

I have a `98 GS300 that I put the newer style `01 headlights (greenish tint) on, and now I have condensation in them. If I take it to the dealer to get it replaced under my warranty will it be void since I updated the lights, or is this even an issue? I know my warranty still covers my headlights but what do I say when I pull up in a `98 with `01 headlights?

Gary
Old 03-03-04, 04:35 PM
portcityplaya
Driver

If the dealership did the update they may fix it under warranty. If you did the update yourself, more than likely the dealership won't cover it under warranty. Hey it never hurts to ask. Continued condensation will eventually cause the lense to have a yellowish color to it and it won't match the other headlight. I am not sure about any actual damage to the light fixture an it's systems.

James

Quick Reply: Moisture in GS headlights