GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Moisture in GS headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-02, 03:26 PM
Phillycat-24
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem also. I have moister in my headlights. I don't know how to get it out. It looks alittle like water is in it. If anyone can help out let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Moisture in GS headlights-leuxs.jgp.jpg  
Old 11-10-02, 04:12 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default headlights

Do you have HID?
Have you changed your 9006 bulbs?

To get rid of it, try using a blow dryer and check your seals... they may be bad or if you changed your bulbs(non hid), they might not be inserted properly.

Rock
Old 11-10-02, 04:40 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Lexus dealer even told me it happens to a lot of headlights. The stupid thing is that my original right (passenger side) headlight is perfect. The left headlight on the other hand is not so good. It has been replaced with two new headlight and still has condensation. I am getting it replaced again under warranty...but this is so lame. They actually try to pawn it off like it was normal, and all I do is point to my passenger side headlight. Damn rain.

I told them to change the wiring harness...in case that is the culprit...but they keep wanting to replace the headlight...gee I guess after this one I can have them buy this car back under the lemon law and get a GS4....hahaha....better check if that will work.

I have non-HID.

Last edited by eppan; 11-10-02 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 05:14 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

they replaced both headlight HID under warranty.
Old 11-10-02, 05:26 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the only thing you could so here is replace your headlights..
Old 11-10-02, 06:41 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my driver side headlights. The dealer replaced mine and it happened again. I noticed another GS had this problem. It's funny because it only happens to the drivers side.
Old 11-10-02, 09:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i noticed that on my car too, but it's not on the hid part (i put in the conversion kit myself), it's the turn signal. anywhere OUTSIDE the turn signal area was ok, just that part was full of moisture. hope that won't affect the hid in my car
Old 11-10-02, 10:01 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We had condensation in the driver's side headlight (HID) and the dealer was nice enough to change both under warranty.. No problems with condensation and now the lights look new.. Now I use Zaino 14 - Plastic Magic to keep them looking their best..

Last edited by 2SAVVY; 11-10-02 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 11:02 PM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed this too on a lot of Lexus models. I was told by a body shop guy that a lot of times the condensation is caused by a frontal impact which causes the bumper to jar up into the lamp assembly and break the seal. Are your GS's pre-owned (people with this issue)? I was told to stay away from any pre-owned car with condensation in the lights.
Old 11-11-02, 06:11 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Originally posted by SW03ES
I've noticed this too on a lot of Lexus models. I was told by a body shop guy that a lot of times the condensation is caused by a frontal impact which causes the bumper to jar up into the lamp assembly and break the seal. Are your GS's pre-owned (people with this issue)? I was told to stay away from any pre-owned car with condensation in the lights.
That is interesting. I will have my dealer check the front end just to be sure. Going in on tuesday for service anyways.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 11-11-02, 11:06 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

To be honest with you guys I think almost every GS has problems with condensation in the lights.. I've had my car for 5 months now(bought it new) and mine have been replaced twice so far and will be in the shop soon for the third time.... I just think the headlights are poorly assembled..
Old 11-11-02, 12:45 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you need a front impact to have the condensation in the headlights problem. I bought my car new and never even hit the front bumper parking and have the problem in both headlights. I will have them changed out maybe next dealer service.
Old 11-11-02, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nah, you don't need a front impact at all. i have check, for example the front turn signal, when you take off the bulb, you will notice that the rubber band around the power connector isn't that flexible, so it will easily allow moisture in. also, if you replace your bulb on a moisture, cold day, chances of it fogging up is a lot higher
Old 11-11-02, 04:42 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by BananaGS
they replaced both headlight HID under warranty.
Do you mean that you had HID headlights and they had condensation so the dealer replaced them, or do you mean that you had non-HID headlights (halogens) that had condensation in them so the dealer replaced with HID for your troubles?

If you meant the latter, that's pretty sweet... I think I've got moisture in my headlights
Old 11-11-02, 05:33 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

ha ha CK1_RX3

funny

99 GS400, it comes with HID, dealer replaced both headlight, for over a year now, no more condensation problem

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 11-11-02 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Moisture in GS headlights