GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Interior Floor Board light help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 07:22 PM
Jamsheddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Floor Board light help please.

Hey guys/girls

I have a 03 gs300 and I recently swapped the #74 tiny bulbs that laminate the front floor located under the dash with some led bulbs. They are super bright and looked good till they went out. Come to find out that they are not making good contact with the plug itself. When I wiggle them around they tend to flash and that's it.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this. Or maybe clean the connections with a Q-tip and alcohol. Something? Anyone please help or chime in.

Thanks so much,

Farzain
Old 06-05-12, 08:59 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i retrofited 194 size connectors in there. and then used a led board for illumination
Old 06-05-12, 10:06 PM
str8lucky
Pole Position

How do you retrofit the 194's?
Dont mean to thread jack...
Old 06-05-12, 10:12 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by str8lucky
i would guess by just getting a 194 socket and make the hole a bit bigger and connect the wires.

Last edited by rgarjr; 06-05-12 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 08:17 AM
Jamsheddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5t341th
i retrofited 194 size connectors in there. and then used a led board for illumination
Oh snap never thought of that. But I wanted to fit it back in the original housing where the clear lens is. Still a good idea.
Originally Posted by str8lucky
And it's all good man. I am looking for answers and solutions. So the more the marrier.
Originally Posted by rgarjr
i would guess by just getting a 194 socket and make the hole a bit bigger and connect the wires.

That looks legit. Just don't know if the bulb would fit in the original housing. I can try though.
Old 06-06-12, 10:54 AM
Lexusfam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I retrofitted the 6 led board in to mine. Cut the oem plug off and wired it directly.
[IMG][/IMG]

Also did it to the glovebox. Highly unnecessary but had an extra board and I was bored.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-06-12, 11:11 AM
FloridaKid
Driver School Candidate

Looks like I have a new project on my hands.
Old 06-06-12, 10:09 PM
Jamsheddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfam
I retrofitted the 6 led board in to mine. Cut the oem plug off and wired it directly.
[IMG][/IMG]

Also did it to the glovebox. Highly unnecessary but had an extra board and I was bored.
[IMG][/IMG]
Holy cow that's some bright floor boards!
Old 06-06-12, 11:25 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

damn that is extremely bright.

i bought my LED kit off Luxury Mod and Tony was already warning me how bright those things were.

For the floor boards I have 6 SMD (its nowhere near that bright though) believe but the glove box only consists of 1 single LED
Old 06-07-12, 01:19 PM
Jamsheddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
damn that is extremely bright.

i bought my LED kit off Luxury Mod and Tony was already warning me how bright those things were.

For the floor boards I have 6 SMD (its nowhere near that bright though) believe but the glove box only consists of 1 single LED
Where did you get your bulbs from man? If you don't mind me asking. The 6smd fit in the under housing that screws in?
Old 06-07-12, 07:42 PM
step2me
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default led

you have to pull the bulbs out and play with the wire on the led itself sometime you have to move the around abit so it makes a solid connection
Old 06-07-12, 08:35 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sometimes a tiny bit of superglue will hold the bulb securely, I did this years ago. As long as you don't go crazy with the glue the bulb will still come out if needed.
Old 06-08-12, 08:16 AM
Jamsheddy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. But the bulb doesn't fall out and it's actually pretty snug in the socket. It just isn't making good contact. And by wiggling it around the led will flash and then go off. I was looking up a bunch of stuff. I think I am going to try and clean out the socket with a wire brush. Maybe it has some built up residue or the contacts need a little scrub to get rid of dust or what ever is on there that is not making the bulb illuminate. Will keep y'all updated.
Old 06-08-12, 08:26 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That may help and check the wires on the base of the bulbs like was mentioned, have had problems with those in the past as well.

Think this thread has inspired me to put some boards in mine when I splice the wires for my led side mirrors!
Old 06-08-12, 09:01 PM
step2me
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default led

Originally Posted by Jamsheddy
Thanks for all the great ideas guys. But the bulb doesn't fall out and it's actually pretty snug in the socket. It just isn't making good contact. And by wiggling it around the led will flash and then go off. I was looking up a bunch of stuff. I think I am going to try and clean out the socket with a wire brush. Maybe it has some built up residue or the contacts need a little scrub to get rid of dust or what ever is on there that is not making the bulb illuminate. Will keep y'all updated.
pull the bulb out and the two little wires on the bulb needs to be move over a bit so it picks up the connection better

Quick Reply: Interior Floor Board light help please.