GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pioneer AVIC-D3 + Infinity 5ch amp + JDM Double DIN kit pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 08:28 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepandlex
Dude, looks nice. U by pass it???? I have a bypassed x920bt. It's not as simple to operate as the D3. Rather than just turning the volume ****, I have to repeatedly press the UP/DOWN keys... Wait till u get XM. and then the B2B and sync up your cell. That thing look nice when all of the audio/video options are lit up in the first menu...
Not really a fan of the camera sticking out. When I did that with my Jeep, the first time I came out to find my camera dangling by a wire. The second, it was gone completely LOL. Good thing it was only $13.
My solution was to drill out one of the bottom holes in your license plate.....and keep on right thru the trunk. Rust proof it, mount a camera through the hole. Mount your license plate back on with the bottom hole drilled out. You have to really look to see the camera. Good thing is, if you take out the cam, you can plug a rubber grommet in the hole and the plate hides it all...
Yes, the bypass was easy to do and appears to work pretty well. The x920bt looks really nice, actually. I find the D3 a bit cumbersome to operate / find the menus you want; but interesting to hear that you think it's better. Either way, it was free, so I can't beat that! What do you mean by B2B?

I thought about doing a more stealth mount of the camera but decided we werent going to worry about it. Seems the camera thefts arent a big deal here (knock on wood). I was considering doing a camera mounted in the rear trunk/keyhole area, but that would have been too involved.
Old 06-11-12, 09:49 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Kool..
I got the stock sub still in there powered by a PDX-5 with the gain turned all the way down..sounds decent but it's not enough.. plus I know that sub is not gonna last long.
Old 06-12-12, 02:58 PM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

...I tried sitting the sub in the factory opening - from the top - and it fit nearly perfectly. I watched it without the rear deck / grill on for a little while to see how much movement the sub generated - decent amount, but not crazy. I then did a little comparison and we found out that sliding the rear deck back over the sub actually fit PERFECTLY and doesn't impede the subwoofer movement.

The sub is screwed to the rear deck, using the subwoofer's factory screw holes. Nothing glamorous or extravagant but highly functional.
I'm a total noob when it comes to car audio, so please forgive all the questions, but when you said the sub is mounted using the factory sub holes, did you drill through the rear deck to mount or were you able to line up a few of the sub holes to holes in the rear deck? (wow that sounded dirty). Thanks!
Old 06-15-12, 08:41 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matt21484
I'm a total noob when it comes to car audio, so please forgive all the questions, but when you said the sub is mounted using the factory sub holes, did you drill through the rear deck to mount or were you able to line up a few of the sub holes to holes in the rear deck? (wow that sounded dirty). Thanks!
Haha!

Sorry - didn't see this response.

Yes, drilled through the rear deck, using the subwoofer's mounting holes. Not my favorite method, but it works and provides a nice solid mount on on the deck. There's no easy way I'm aware of to top mount the sub using the factory brackets up there - because those brackets are actually used by pins on the rear deck cover's subwoofer grill, I think (the pins align with those brackets and hold the factory sub into place). Kind of hard to explain.
If you don't want to drill holes, then I think your only other options would be to glue/seal the sub around the rim from the top. Not sure i'd want this. Otherwise you can do what others have done and mount the sub in the trunk, hanging from the rear deck - normally mounted to a piece of MDF?
Old 06-15-12, 11:03 AM
matt21484
Driver School Candidate

^Thanks, clears up a lot actually. I just need to spend some time taking the rear deck off and seeing what my options are.
Old 06-16-12, 08:44 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

hey if your in soflo I may just need someone to install a unit into my GS lol
Old 06-17-12, 06:46 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kaosfive5
hey if your in soflo I may just need someone to install a unit into my GS lol

Nope. I definitely would not be your candidate! I took the old stuff out (along with seats, etc); and tested the sub mount but a friend did the work. Depending on your location (we're in 561) he might be able to do yours ($)
Old 06-17-12, 07:20 PM
usa5655
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean install!! looks good man
Old 06-25-12, 02:23 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Got a little bit of an issue with the rear deck flexing

The camera image stabilization has actually done a good job at minimizing the showing of the flexing in the video, but it's definitely there. Ugh. It only exhibits itself on pretty low hitting stuff, which fortunately shouldn't be that common for the person that normally drives the car.